Excited to Start!

After looking at your pictures I knew I had to be a part of this amazing craft. I ordered my first house today and I am so excited to start I could burst. I wish I did not have to wait for it to come for so long.

I am truly amazed at the detail and tallent of these houses and what you guys do with them. I have never done one before so I am completly clueless how you do it but I am so excited to learn.

One of the things I was the most amazed with were the houses that have a brick or rock look on the outside. That is what I want to do with my first house. Problem is I have no clue how to do it... where can I find this out? I've also been looking around the internet for ways to make your own furnerature. Since I can't start working on my house yet I have started tinkering around with that. Anyone know of any good websights?

Thanks for reading my post!

Julie

Welcome! I am new to the site, but not the craft. For the Hawthorne Hall or Thornhill in my gallery, I used Magic Brick. It was actually very easy, but did require touching up the grout. It is har to find now because I think it may be discontinued. THere was also a ling to Victoria's Miniland on how to make a stone exterior with egg cartons. I am anxious to try that!

Good luck and we all look forward to seeing your creations!

WELCOME to the forum!

glad you joined us. there are several ways that you can a cheive the brick or stone look

you can use papermachie egg cartons several tutorials on how around here

the magic brick, paperclay which is an air drying clay.

they doo look wonderful done this way...which house are you going to start with?

nutti :wave:

hello, and welcome!

yes, please let us know which house you've chosen.

whatever it is, you'll have a great time. lots of the people here are very experienced in building, and are super at offering help and ideas.

:wave:

Hi Julie

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your first house. I'm building my first one too! :wave:

Hi and :flowers: ! I have been playing with paperclay for a stone front house. I have also used magic brik for a foundation. THere are pictures of both in my gallery. Have fun with it!! Oh, and there is a tutorial list pinned in the General Mini section that includes a tutorial done by Tracy on paperclaying a fireplace which can be used for the walls. It also has many other how tos including accessories for your house.

Enjoy!!

:flowers:

Hi and welcome :flowers: .

I used paperclay for the stonework on my harrison and it turned out nicely for being my first time using it, but like everyone said there are many different things you could use for stones and/or bricks.

Hi I am fairly new also. I have yet to build my first house. But, I having been using polymer clay for a long time. There is a book by Sue Hease about making doll house miniatures from polymer clay. You can find it on amazon or at barnes and Noble.com. There are a lot of things you can do with polymer clay and lots of free projects on line. Just type in polymer clay or diy miniatures as a search and a million things will pop up. Oh and there are alos furniture kits that you can order. I have posted links under general minitalk. Have fun and Welcome! :flowers:

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Everyone has already explained the many ways to create faux finishes. Please look around here for all kinds of tuts and links to helpful sites! Just to get you started, here's a link for a brick tutorial using egg-cartons.

http://www.miniland.ca/BRICK1.html

Enjoy!

Hi Julie -

Glad you've joined us. Which house have you ordered? I, too, love the brick and stonework exterior finishes that a number of people on this site have used. I haven't tried it yet, but everyone here is very helpful.

-Susanne

Welcome Julie!

I used clay bricks and mortar (both available from most dollhouse or miniature shops) for my Glencroft. I love the way it turned out, but I've learned that paperclay or magic brick might be more efficient options for acheiveing a similar effect! Best of luck with your mini adventures!

WOW! Thanks for all of your help as well as your warm welcomes. I ordered the haunted house from the Greenleaf collection. It still hasn't come and I am going crazy waiting for it. I have been trying to make things to go inside it while I wait. It is so helpfull to be able to look at all of your creations and get ideas. Hopefully it will come soon.

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Everyone has already explained the many ways to create faux finishes. Please look around here for all kinds of tuts and links to helpful sites! Just to get you started, here's a link for a brick tutorial using egg-cartons.

http://www.miniland.ca/BRICK1.html

Enjoy!

That is a great tutorial thank you for the web address

Welcome. I may be able to help you with the furniture. I have made several peices and in my latest one that I am working on I have made all the enterior myself. down to almost all the light fixtures. What date have you picked for your house? Are you edwardian,modern,19**? let me know I may be able to help. I am at least willing to try. Also which house did you pick out. :lol:

I am completly clueless how you do it but I am so excited to learn.
You can begin by reading the blogs, the building team has built and blogged the Glencroft, so that's one you can begin with. I used sandpaper "bricks" for it blog-241-1126380907_thumb.jpgI use spackling compound for stonework and also for plaster and stucco techniques, and on my Magnolia I've been using it for a coquina matrix. I have also used the styrofoam egg cartons for "stones". Peggi has done a wonderful chimney using river rocks.
I've also been looking around the internet for ways to make your own furnerature.
There are a number of excellent books out there for building dollhouse furniture, check with your local library to see what they have. You can also take the dull-sized projects in woodworking magazines and books and divide the dimensions by 12.