How much is too much?

LPCullen

Now, before I start this, I just want to say to this one person:

"Deb, I don't wanna hear ANY cracks about 'crazy cat lady'."

As some of you know, one of the wild cats had 5 kittens in my bedroom--the little gray ones. They're cute as little buttons and fat and happy and chubby. Crawling all over you, etc. They're probably close to 4 weeks old now, probably that.

Anyhow, we were gone all last week, and Zack had to come every day to feed the critters, inside and out, and clean ALL the litter boxes. He didn't like that part...but he did it anyway. We took the white truck on vacation, and most people in this neighborhood know that is what I drive--primarily because to get into or out of my neighborhood you have to pass my house.

Today, it was nice and cool outside--beautiful sunshine, low temps, a good breeze, so I opened the windows in the house to let the house air out. Had the front door open but the storm door shut, but I also had the glass up on the storm door. I couldn't keep Bella from jumping on the screen so I put a chair in front of the door so that they could get in the chair and look out. That made them very happy. Jimmy was gone off to Lowe's to get some lumber, in the blue truck. The white truck was in the driveway.

I went out to the truck to get my camera to load the pix from my vacation. Started loading them in, it was going slow. I got up to do something while they were loading--can't remember what I was going to do now. It had been about 10 minutes since I went out the front door to the truck to get the camera. I went into the dining room from the kitchen, and Oliver was sitting on the chair looking down, intensely. I heard something cry, and couldn't figure out what it was. I went to the door to peak out to see what had Oliver's attention, and -- are you all ready for this? There was a cardboard box, placed very neatly on my front porch, just to the side of the storm door, up against the house.

Wanna know what was in the box that this neighbor of mine [who I don't know] apparently left for me? Any guesses? Hmmmm. Three little kittens, one of which was crying and standing up, and two cowering down. I looked at the box, went out the door, looked at the box, picked up the box and took it into a bedroom for safety (the front of my house gets brutal sun and I didn't want to leave them out there because they would bake pretty quickly). Walked next door to my neighbor's house who has the two little kids because she was sitting outside cleaning her car. I asked her if she saw anything or anybody at my house--she said she wasn't paying attention and asked why. I told her about the box of kittens.

So, I go back to the house. One of the kittens is still hollering and trying to get out of the box, another one sees me and starts doing the same. The little black and white one just cowers and doesn't say much. I pick the loudest one up and I realized why someone dropped them off. They were skin and bones and obviously hadn't eaten in several days, I really don't know how long. I went and got some canned cat food and watered it down real well and put it in the room and took the kittens out of the box. The loudest one went to town eating--standing in it, making a mess. The second loudest one couldn't figure it out, and the little black and white one just cowered. I went and got a dropper and put a little in it and put a few drops in the second loudest one's mouth. He then figured it out and began eating with the other one. The little black and white one I had to give a whole dropper full before she figured out it was food. Obviously these guys hadn't eaten in quite some time. I beeped Jimmy on the nextel because he was out and told him to stop at the grocery store and get some canned goats milk and told him about the kittens being dropped at the door.

I'm guestimating their age between 4-5 weeks, but probably closer to 4. They are smaller than Sammie's babies though, but their heads are bigger. Probably smaller because they've been starved. Something must have happened to their mother, obviously, because all these cats out here talk and they know to come to my house if they're hungry. Hopefully if she's still alive then the others will tell her where the kittens are, but considering how skinny these guys are something most likely happened to her.

Anyhow, I started to get real angry about someone dropping off three little kittens literally at my door. Then I thought about it. Obviously, they didn't know how to take care of them and knew they would die shortly if someone didn't care for them. They're too young to be on their own and would definitely have died if abandoned further [and I'm still worried about the little black and white one but she is eating a bit]. So, actually, whoever dropped them off, did the humane thing in searching out the person who would probably know how to care for them and would possibly be willing to take them in. They also made sure that I was home, and even sat those kittens in their box right by the door with Oliver sitting there watching them. I was in the kitchen and never heard a sound. It would have been nice though if they had knocked on the door and said "help" .... but they didn't.

Terri! Stop laughing! And Deb! Get up off that floor! Tracy hush! Geez ....

So, again, how many is too many? Anybody need any kittens? I now have 8 to give away...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooooooh, my! how many does that make, in the total Menagerie count?

i don't know what is Too Much; i guess that is for you and Jimmy to say.

those kittens are at a place where they'll be cosseted and fed and given a chance to grow up, and that is a good thing.

just smiling and shaking my head in amazement at how the kitties found you.

my grandmother used to say that cats, dogs and hobo people make a secret mark on the doors of Kind People. i think your door is marked, Linda!

wowie linda! you are such a kind hearted wonderful warm person to be so good to those little angels. I will keep them all in my prayers, especially that little one. keep us posted on how they are doing!

Oh bless your heart Linda - taking those poor babies in and taking care of them! My goodness - 8 kittens ;) you certainly have your hands full!

The new babies are very fortunate that whomever had them left them with someone that has such a kind heart when it comes to kitties - but I gotta wonder about the person that would just drop off three dangerously underfed fur babies & walk away - without so much as a "please" or anything...

ooooooh, my!

i don't know what Too Much is; i guess that is for you and Jimmy to say.

those kittens are at a place where they'll be cosseted and fed and given a chance to grow up, and that is a good thing.

just smiling and shaking my head in amazement at how the kitties found you.

my grandmother used to say that cats, dogs and hobo people make a secret mark on the doors of Kind People. i think your door is marked, Linda!

I gotta wonder about the person that would just drop off three dangerously underfed fur babies & walk away - without so much as a "please" or anything...

Not sure they did just "walk away". About half an hour after I took the kittens into the house I saw a tan colored older truck, maybe late 80s model, maybe Ford Ranger maybe Chevy S10, drive very slowly by the house, and it looked like they were looking directly at the porch. I don't know if that's who did it. I wanted Jimmy to drive around the neighborhood to see where that truck is, and he said they won't take them [kittens] back so what's the point. I told him I wasn't planning on giving them back--that they obviously knew they couldn't care for them and didn't want them to die so they left them on my porch. They also made very sure that I was home. That white truck has been gone for a week and everyone knows that is what I drive, although I am certain that people saw other vehicles pulling into the driveway, be it Zack's truck or my Sportage which Zack now drives or whoever Zack was with. Jimmy's blue truck had been in the driveway, but it was gone and the white truck was there when these kittens were left. This is a very small "in the country" neighborhood, and people around here know when you are home and when you are not. They keep an eye on things and watch out for you when you are gone--you don't even need to ask them to. Whoever dropped those kittens off did it when they knew for sure that 'I' was there. Like I said, I got mad at first, and then realized they did the best they could--which was deliver them into the hands of someone in the neighborhood that is known for feeding and taking in strays. Everybody on my street knows that about me.

You are truly blessed. The kittens need you and they need love and care. We pray that the little ones make it ok. They must have been starving poor little guys. At least they are the lucky ones. They have been saved. I think about all the little ones that are not saved. They have terrible lives and equally terrifying and terrible deaths. Thank goodness you know what to do. Most people wouldn't. Thank you for taking them in.

Wolfie

How did you know I was laughing? You know if it happened here we'd do the same thing. What's 3 more tiny mouths to feed. Who ever left them knew your porch was the right porch to leave them on. I'd take them if I was closer.

How did you know I was laughing?

Because I knew that you would be because it sounded like something that could happen to you!

You know if it happened here we'd do the same thing. What's 3 more tiny mouths to feed. Who ever left them knew your porch was the right porch to leave them on. I'd take them if I was closer.

I can meet you halfway? In a while. I couldn't get them to stop crying, except when they were eating, so I took them in the master bedroom to the other kittens. Ah. Blessed silence for a while. Sammie hasn't hurt them, but she doesn't take any nonsense from her 5 kids. She told them to lay down and go to sleep, and so they all did. The two ones that I think are boys, which are tiger stripe but one has white feet, took up with one of the gray and white ones and they laid down together. The little black and white one scuttled/scooted over to the other four gray ones like "can I sleep with you" and they all crowded around her and all snuggled up and went to sleep, laying all against one another. Sammie's happy now because they're all quiet, overseeing them all at the moment.

Sammie just might take over the feeding for you. Since she didn't take the new ones out of the box, or try to move hers, her maternal instinct may let her accept them as hers.

As soon as we get rid of some of our babies, I'll see what I can do about taking at least one of yours.

Maggie would love it, I'm not sure how the white creature would like it tho.

As one of my colleagues says, when somebody does something that nobody else wants to do, "God bless you..."

I am not a cat person, at all. But if somebody dropped a box of bully puppies on my porch... whoo-boy...

It's a shame they didn't drop them off at a vets office just in case they need extra attention, but at least they have another good choice that they made by bringing them to you and not just letting them die. You'll do a great job with them. Hope they do well and survive, sounds like they have had a challenging start.

Now, before I start this, I just want to say to this one person:

"Deb, I don't wanna hear ANY cracks about 'crazy cat lady'."

<clapping hands over mouth> Mppffppfftt. Mffpptftt. Mmmmnnptft. <moving hands> Okay, I'm better now.

Aw Linda, you've just got really good kitty-karma. Obviously, these babies needed you desperately and it's a good thing you did by taking them in and saving them. It's great that Sammie adopted them as she did. Not all cats will do that, but they have a much better chance at survival if she'll mother them and possibly let them nurse. Poor little babies have had a rough time of it and they deserve a chance. When do we get to see pictures of them?

Deb

Well, if they REALLY wanted to "do their best" they would have had the kitten's momma spayed a long time ago! But yes, I'm sure they were waiting for you to be home, knowing you'd care for the brood.

Except for our two girls (cats), which we got at the shelter, all the other cats in our lives, including my two boys, have "just shown up" at the door. I resisted letting them in at first...for a couple of weeks (they were half-grown, not tiny kittens..which would have been whisked inside, just as you did!). Once a cat is in the house, though, it's here to stay.. ;)

You will be paid back some how for your caring kindness. I wish I could take a couple of those kitties off your hands but I'm busy with the stray kitties in my neighborhood and my Sapphi does not play well with others. I just had to let you know how I appreciate people like you who are willing to give so much of themselves. You are the best. ;)

Linda, your door must be marked. Your kindness will be rewarded. How are they doing this morning?

So true! And I would love to see a pic of the new ones as well, I just loved how your mama.kitty let the three new ones in amongst her own little ones...

Hugs

Well, if they REALLY wanted to "do their best" they would have had the kitten's momma spayed a long time ago!

Ever tried catching a wild cat that doesn't want to be caught? Especially those that are in the country? It can't be done, and they won't let you get anywhere near them. Most likely these kittens mama was a wild cat in the neighborhood.

How are they doing this morning?

The two boys are doing well. I'm still concerned about the little girl though. Not sure if it is shyness or what. They got all wet eating this morn and I picked her up and wrapped her in a blanket because she was shivering. All have fat bellies though. I don't know if Sammie is nursing them or not. She is sitting on the bed watching them all. I offered to let her go outside but she didn't want to go...

Those kittens are right where they need to be. :banana:

When we moved into our house right after the WW II, about 1944, there was a steady stream of hobos stopping by. My mom gave them sandwiches and odd jobs when she could. There wasn't much concern about strangers in those days, and nothing untoward ever happened. One day she mentioned something about all of the traffic, and one of the men showed her a sign chalked on the house where we'd not noticed it. He erased it, and the traffic stopped.

I don't remember (or maybe never knew) what the sign was. Some years later a friend gave me wooden plaque with a laser engraving of a cat lying down, head up. The tag on the back says it means "a kindhearted woman lives here".

Sudden thought: Jeez ... I'm becoming the old lady who share tidbits from her childhood, back beyond the clouds of time! ... lol!