How much is too much?

LPCullen

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linda, whoever left them knew they were coming to a good home.....they know how much you love kitties....I want a kitten but mom will not let me have one in the house....said my dog was enough....

You are a good person...

No, Sammie is the good person. God help her, the poor girl already had 5 of her own, but she has now taken these under her wing and when I last checked she had one of them under the bed with her nursing it. She's not much more than a child herself, but she goes and takes those ones on. She didn't have to, that's for sure, but .... I am sure that she knows who their mother was.

I will take pix when the little girl is out of the woods and doing better. It took a toll on them, being without food. They seem to be bouncing back and seem happier, and quiet too, LOL! I am superstitious about taking pix when they are sick, so I'll wait. They're pretty cute though.

Ever tried catching a wild cat that doesn't want to be caught? Especially those that are in the country? It can't be done, and they won't let you get anywhere near them. Most likely these kittens mama was a wild cat in the neighborhood.

Actually, yes, I HAVE caught a wild cat. Took us almost 9 months of extreme patience to get Molly close enough to even be touched, another 6 months to be picked up ... and wisked to the vet to be spayed. Once we got her indoors, she was a loving domestic friendly cat -- but only to us, disappearing under the freezer at even a *hint* of a stranger coming.

And we do live in the country. Tuffy and TabbyGrey, our two current boys, were strays that someone dumped off somewhere here on our 20 acres. Took us about 6 months to get Tuffy close, and about the same for TabbyGrey.

You said the new brood came to you in a box...if they were indeed feral, whoever picked them up would have been badly scratched, not only by them but by the momma too. Molly's last litter -- before we started taming her -- were all fangs and claws from the moment we came upon them.

Hi Linda! I just recently started reading and posting again. Wanted to add my 2 cents about the situation. LOL The person that dropped them off at your door should definately have had more consideration for you that to just drop them off. You should have been ASKED if you wanted to take care of them, or asked for your opinion. Rather than bringing the kitties to a shelter or vets office. My opinion is that the people had somewhat of a concious, but took the lazy way out, and just pawned it off on you... wiping their hands of the little creatures.

Any chance you want to take a trip to Tampa with a kitty? I'll take one! :banana: We only have one (boy, age 5... both kitty and Human son!) :banana: right now and I think he'd like to have a playmate.

Best of luck to you!!

You said the new brood came to you in a box...if they were indeed feral, whoever picked them up would have been badly scratched, not only by them but by the momma too. Molly's last litter -- before we started taming her -- were all fangs and claws from the moment we came upon them.

No I don't think they would, not at 4 weeks old, and not if they were weak and starving, which they were when they appeared. Probably the mama either got hit by a car or one of the foxes around here got her, and the babies started crying and someone heard them and got them and didn't know how to care for them.

LOL! All my critters started out as wild too. Rocky had never been touched until she got hurt and came home. Then the poor girl got poked and prodded by the vet, got shots, etc., and never once offered to bite or scratch either of us--including the vet. Max had never been touched by human hands (at least not while awake) and he's 2 years old now (Tasha, Oliver Bella and Hannah's mom is his sister). He recently got hurt--the wounds on his leg looked a lot like what Rocky had on hers. Jimmy cornered him and picked him up and then I had to hold him so that Jimmy could examine his leg. Although he growled, hissed and swatted, he never once scratched or attempted to bite Jimmy or me. When any animal is truly hurt and truly in need, their instincts for help usually overcomes all else.

Sammie will be spayed the minute these kittens are weaned, and so will her sister Darby, even though neither one "technically" belongs to me. However, I don't want any more babies birthed in my bedroom and have to give it up again!

Since your life seems like mine with the critters and such, have you ever noticed how much the wild animals look out for each other? The older siblings are charged with the care of the younger siblings, as well as the fathers to the babies. All of the cats around here seem to look out for one another and each other's babies, it's kinda neat. Like, when a wild mother begins moving her babies from one spot to another, the other cats will watch the babies until she gets them all moved. When Max's leg was hurt, he spent two weeks in the house until he demonstrated that he could run using that leg. During that time, all of his buddies showed up at the back door and he would look out at them--I guess they were checking to see how he was. Then when he went back outside, he went when they were all around and I know that they all watched out for him and helped protect him because of the weak leg. I always knew when he would show back up because his buddies would appear before him--checking to make sure it was safe I guess, LOL! Cats are such incredible creatures! Then last night a cat kept picking on Ronnie and Robbie, mostly Ronnie (they're about 6 months old), and somebody must have gone and got Orange Boy because all of a sudden he was there and the other cat left very quickly. Orange Boy must be Ronnie's father because he looks just like him, LOL!

Bless your heart, Linda.

I love reading your stories of the brotherhood of the feral cats. I've always been very interested in the relationships between cats. During the years that Dudley lived with us, he always had neighbourhood cats that he befriended. It was so neat to watch him and his buddies outside in our backyard. They'd team up when an outsider came into the yard. They'd chase each other around the yard and up the maple trees. I'd give them catnip and treats and make sure they always had some fresh cold water available. After exploring and playing, they'd curl up on cushions on the deck chairs. Their interactions fascinated me.

-Susanne

Terri! Stop laughing! And Deb! Get up off that floor! Tracy hush! Geez ....

Just when I was about to say something :banana: Linda, I had a friend who had a cat give birth to 6 little kittens last month. If me and the girls were not allergic to them (We found out by being there so much!!), we would now be the happy owners of a kitten too. Shesh, I could see myself being the cat lady (I don't care too much for dogs but love cats).

Thanks so much for sharing that picture too!! it's such a cute one! :banana:

poor lil babes!

I hope they do well!

during our Big ice storm the nighborhood stray that I run off daily had a litter of 5 under our Garage

now they have taken over the back...poor Milo cant go out to his pooping place because Momma cat is feirce. I have noo idea what we are going to do with the lot...we have been feeding them all since Momma is dry now. but one cat and one dog is more than enough pets for us.

Hey Linda need 6 more? {snicker :banana: snort} :banana:

nutti :lol: :lol:

I think it stinks that someone dumped the kittens, but I also think it was wonderful that you were the dumpee!

I hope they all become healthy and happy members of the feline society! We all know you will teach them well!

The two boys are doing well. I'm still concerned about the little girl though. Not sure if it is shyness or what.

No, Sammie is the good person. God help her, the poor girl already had 5 of her own, but she has now taken these under her wing

I am happy to hear that they are doing well. Our Luna was the only girl in a littler of three (we've had her since birth), was very shy, hissed at us, and was wobbly a little longer than her brothers. She grew up to be very sassy princess.

Blessings to both the babies and Sammie! I once had over 10 cats/kittens. But we lived on a large farm, so it was all good. Having started out with 3 litter mates at 5 and a half weeks old, I won't do that again! If I lived closer I would take a few. My Cher will be having hers in a couple more weeks, don't know if she would tolerate a few more. :)

Well, my heart got warmed today! The little girl was in the group that ran to the door to meet me, and then she ran into the bathroom where their food goes (on a towel so they don't make TOO much of a mess!) and quickly nosed her way in to eat. I am thinking that a lot of her problem is that she may be grieving for her mother and not understanding where her mother went and wanting her to come back. Poor lil tyke! I think she's bouncing back though. Sammie also elected to go outside today, and she did not go out at all on Saturday, nor Sunday, although I offered to let her out to play.

Linda -

What wonderful news. The little babies find their way into your heart quickly. Have you picked names out yet? I know that you'll be looking for permanent homes, but I know that I always give my temporary little treasures names.

-Susanne

Hey Linda--have you seen the pictures of Heidi's new kitten on top of her dollhouse? At the rate you are going, you can soon post pics with a different baby on each of your houses :D:cry: So how many houses do you have now? One for each kitten--so keep taking in the strays, dear, you've got a ways to go. :dunno:

Also, remember running to the grocery store for cat food with the price of gas needs to be figured in the equation to see how many is to many. :)

Seriously, the kittens have found a good home with good people. When we returned from DD's house after a weekend away and found 3 puppies under our porch and after checking the neighborhood to see if they belonged to anyone, I wasn't as nice--I called the pound. Love Dogs, but these babies were going to be BIG dogs (at least according to the size of their feet) and noway could I afford to feed them for long.

Linda, you are truly a wonderful person!! I just read this thread and wow!! I am honored to know you. I'm glad to hear they are doing better and starting to eat more.