I need a shoulder to cry on

Annette

I'm an emotional wreck right now. Sniffer (the cutie in my avatar) just hasn't been himself for the past week or so, just lying around and not eating very much. He's done this before that's why I didn't think nothing of it. This past weekend he stopped eating all together and we called the vet and he told us that it sounded like he had a tooth infection. He said to try feeding him canned food until he could get him an appointment, so then at least he's eating something. That worked and he is eating the canned food but he's still just skin and bones. Yesterday and this morning have been the hardest for me , I watch him and in my mind I have a feeling there's something else wrong besides a tooth and his age (he's roughly 15 yrs. old). His appointment is tomorrow, that's the earliest they had, I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst but I still don't think that will help me. Thanks for listening to me ramble and cry, I feel a bit better now that I talked about it, I'll let you all know what happens.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter's cat, Peter, was feeling ill - not eating at all and his fur was puffed up all the time. After lots of tests and finally an x-ray it turned out he had about 50 hair ties, rubber bands and other junk lodged in his stomach. He had to have an operation to remove them. Some must have been in there for years. It seems that an ingredient in the rubber may have been responsible then, over time, for causing a vitamin e deficiency caused him to have yellow fat disease. The fat around his stomach wouldn't heal and just went black and died. He had to then have liposuction to remove the fat from around his stomach. He is so much better now - looks a bit silly but is much happier. His weight went from 21lbs at his highest (he is a large cat) to 13.2 lbs after the operation. Much of the loss was from loss of appetite. He is back up to 14.5 lbs now.

My daughter has just quit her paying job to take an unpaid internship. All the money she had saved so that she could take the internship is now gone - but worth it. The vet was wonderful and really helped her afford the treatment.

My thoughts are with you and your kitty.

Lisa R.

im so sorry to hear about your beautiful furbaby! I will keep him in my prayers, I really hope its just a tooth ache! please keep us posted!!

*big BIG hugs*

Oh Annette! Hugs to you and the fur-baby! It probably *is* just a tooth problem. One of my grandfather's recently adopted strays was down to skin and bones before anyone realized the cat didn't have enough teeth to eat dry food... on a diet of wet food, the cat is now fine.

I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst but I still don't think that will help me.

"Preparing yourself" is so you don't shriek, "No! No!" in the vet's office, slug the vet, get arrested, and have to explain all this to your family. It doesn't remotely get you off the hook for wandering around crying or whatever your baseline reaction to grief is.

But your fur-baby probably *will* be fine.

Oh Annette, I hope that your furbaby is ok, and that the appointment goes well. I don't know if this will help at all, but I had a friend with an older cat with tooth problems, and when she wasn't even eating her favorite wet cat food, my vet suggested feeding her baby food. Kitty loved it and perked right up after the first few jars. She saw it as such a treat! Hugs and positive thoughts to you both!

I am so sorry to hear this! my heart goes out to you and know that we are always here for you..

Fur babies are sometime is worse cause they can't talk and tell us what is going on..

Poor little Sniffer - and poor you, too! Please try to hold onto a positive attitude. This will help you both, as Sniffer is bound to feel upset when you're upset. It really seems as if the vet's right about the tooth - as Sniffer's eating the wet food, he isn't so ill that he's lost his appetite. I will definitely keep fingers, etc. crossed until your update tomorrow. Hang in there - we're all behind you!

:wave:

aw, annette, i'm sorry you're so worried!

jennifer's right. it's especially tough when we don't know what's wrong. hope the vet can figure that out quickly and gently.

please let us know how things go. the Katz and i are sending good wishes your way.

Poor little Sniffer! I know it's no use to tell you not to worry Annette, but I'm sure he'll be just fine. If he's eating wet food, that's a sure sign that he's not sick-sick. If he were, he wouldn't eat anything at all. It sounds like it's a tooth ache and that's easy for them to fix. Cats can drop weight at an alarming rate so it's no wonder that you're worried. But I'm sure it'll all be fine and he'll be back to normal soon.

Hugs to you and nose nuzzles to Sniffer,

Deb

aw, annette, i'm sorry your so worried!

jennifer's right. it's especially tough when we don't know what's wrong. hope the vet can figure that out quickly and gently.

please let us know how things go. the Katz and i are sending good wishes your way.

Sorry to read about Sniffer, Annette. If only we could explain that the things that the vet does is to make them feel better, it would be so much easier at times like these.

Caring thoughts to you both.

Jackie

Well I'm back with not so good news. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with his teeth. He said that he'll run tests to see what else could be causing this, but I'm not to hopeful. Last night he had a turn for the worst to me, he was on his way to the liter box and he fell with a thud to the floor, I had to pick him up and take him to it, this morning before we left he couldn't even stand up by himself. I really don't want him to suffer anymore than he may be already and I told the vet that. They're keeping him under a constant watch and with the lab being on site they will let me know either tonight or first thing tomorrow morning the results.

Thank You all for your thoughts and prayers, they mean so much to me and our family.