5/23/07 HPV?

Some years ago I was director of a summer camp for handicapped children. Three of our campers were severely challenged from measles. Their parents had not had them vaccinated. That's sad in itself. But there's more. I phoned one of the parents about the state of the teeth of one camper. He had enough pain that it was difficult for him to eat. "Oh," she said, "I'm taking the other children to the dentist next week. I suppose I could take him, too."

If the HPV vaccine had been available when our children were young enough to get it, they would have all been vaccinated. I know our one son and daughter-in-law have their children vaccinated. The other grandchildren are too young yet. I know several people who have had to undergo multiple procedures because of HPV.

Our daughter reacted horribly to the pertussis in the vaccine, she didn't receive the P of the Dpt for her final childhood immunizations. I pray she never has any problems because of that, but as a pharmacist, she knows her options.

I know a couple who had to make the agonizing decision to abort their baby after she was exposed to and contracted measles while pregnant. The unborn child's defects were incompatible with life. All because someone didn't immunize their child.

Chicken pox vaccine wasn't available when our kids were young, so they all got chicken pox. The middle two had it together, then the oldest and youngest took their turns. Oldest was 13 and it was awful for him. Pure agony. He had pox throughout his digestive tract, inside his nose, on the bottoms of his feet. He couldn't eat, he would pass out if he tried to walk. He and our daughter both had pox on the sclera (white) of their eyes. Daughters was right on the edge of the cornea, and actually lifting the cornea. We had to use an antiviral ointment in her eye every few hours to keep the pustule from rupturing and to help with the pain. I would have done anything to prevent the agony those two suffered with the chicken pox.

I am firmly on the side of vaccination.

• Like 1

The chickenpox vaccine not only saves people the agony of the rash, but developing shingles later in life. One of the teachers at one of my elementary schools came waltzing in one day complaining she felt terrible, and I noticed a pustular rash erupting on her arms. I asked her if she'd ever had chickenpox and she said she thought so; I said it looked definite to me, to call her doctor (I handed her the phone) to arrange to go in and have it checked (and doctors do NOT want possible chickenpox waltzing into their waiting rooms; they'll meet you at the back door to check you). Sure enough, she was back in school at work two weeks later and thanked me for sending her.