5/24/07 Miniatures & Family

I think I am pretty much alone. My husband lends me an extra pair of hands whenever I need them, and he goes to the shows with me and is great at finding me the most wonderful mini treasures! However, the minis are pretty much my baby. I have his support, encouragement, and admiration, but I do not not have working side by side with me during hours og happy mini-ing.

My cousin in Omaha bought a kit about two years ago. I think it was the Beacon hill. She went to the Omaha mini show with me and found some wonderful things for her house. Unfortunately, I don't think she has done much with it, because I email her to ask her how goes it, and she never tells me anything about her house. Since I will be assembling nephew Austin's fire house when I am there in July, I will have all of my tools and many supplies with me. I think I will contact her again and be blunt. Tell her that I will have tools and supplies with me, and if she is stuck I will be happy to spend a day with her and help her. If she still wants a house but just doesn't know how to get started or what to do next, I can help her with that. If she lost interest, well okay, then I am truly alone again!

I am pretty much alone in my interest of minis. Not that my family doesn't love my houses and my Grandaughter did help me wire the Haunted House. But in general I do not believe any of them would really build one. Although my daughter wants to do the bird house ,but so far she has not started it. Makes me want to just start it . How can she wait? :lol:

If she lost interest, well okay, then I am truly alone again!
Jeri, tactfully suggest to her that if se doesn't want it she might as well set you give it a good home! And if you don't want it, PM me with the guestimated shipping costs...

Jeri, tactfully suggest to her that if se doesn't want it she might as well set you give it a good home! And if you don't want it, PM me with the guestimated shipping costs...

LOL, if she no longer wants it, I just might suggest that she re-home it!

DH helps me alot with my houses and is very protective of them (even more so than I am at times), my youngest DD has started building the haunted house kit, but with small kids, is not making much progress. My GK show an interest and I'm hoping as they get older will want to build but will have to wait and see.

I am a Lone Ranger in the building of Dollhouses and the Making of miniatures but I do have 2 Aunts and a Grandmother who love to collect and rearrange things.

nothing wrong with that...they do enjoy our discussions of minis when we visit but Im sure when I am not around it is not much of a sbject. around my house it is the same.

though DH has helped me and different aspects intrest hime more than others he is not really the Tonto to my Ranger. :hmm:

but I never let their disintrest keep me from yaking and yaking about them...maybe itll wear off on them! :lol:

nutti :please:

Bruce doesn't mini, but he does brainstorm with me. He's got an eye for minis and is great about spotting potential mini-makers for me. Napoleon is pretty indifferent to the whole thing.

Deb

My DH is very supportive and will always lend a hand when I ask but I do have to ask him, sometimes two or three times. Missy, my DD, would really like to continue on her White Orchid which she had put together. She had intended it to be a flower shop but in the meantime she has opened her own real life flower shop and has been so busy with that and the baby. I'm really not expecting too much from her.

My DH is supportive to a point. He will help when I ask for it, otherwise its my baby and except for the mess in my workshop he ignores it. Funny though he has to drag all our visitors and guests around the house to see them and points out the "special" things about each piece. He also keeps pointing out tools he thinks might be helpful. Sigh! trouble is they usually are too big or heavy for my hands and my arthritis means I can only use them in spurts. My daughter will go with me to shows but isn't really interested.

Finally got an answer from my cousin regarding her dollhouse. I just came out and asked why no updates? Was she intimidated and can't get started, started & got stuck, or just lost interest? Let me help!

She got the first floor of her Beacon Hill assembled. Although this is her first dh, she is into crafts and very clever. She knew it would be easiest to paint, wallpaper and install flooring in the hard to reach spots before adding the second loor. the wallpaper went well, but the floor stumps her.

She was very excited to learn that I will have tools and supplies with me, and that I'll spend a few hours helping her. Also, she is in desperate need of trim and there are no dollhouse shops in Omaha, so she will give me a list of trims she needs and I will buy them here and bring those as well.

To spark my friend Crystal's enthusiasm, I made her some minis so that she would want to finish the house to have a pretty place for them. It worked once, so I'll try it again with my cousin. I'll knit one or two things, and if I have time I will also make her a punchneedle rug to go woth her kitchen wallpaper. It's the Brodnax rooster print, so I think a small rooster rug would be nice. I'll also bring some Michael's hutches to give to her.

Her family is vacationing in Florida in June, and she said she hoped to find a dollhouse shop there. I gave her the link to NAME's list of shops. I hope one is near her!

Jeri

Bruce doesn't mini, but he does brainstorm with me. He's got an eye for minis and is great about spotting potential mini-makers for me.
My DH is like that, plus he buys me power tools!
Her family is vacationing in Florida in June,
Where? Ron's is in Orlando (NOT near Disney/Epcot/Universal) and Nancy's is in Naples and there are some further south on the Gold Coast.

Ray has found he quite enjoys electrifying and building the dollhouses. He leaves most of the painting and decorating to me (grin). He's also quite a help in getting me started. When I want to start a project, I tell him what size a base I want and he'll go out and buy it (I'm not really a lumberyard kind of a person) and do any prep work for me.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much on my own. I discovered last Fall that there's a miniaturist group in our city, but I'm so used to working on my own that I've not been to one of their meetings since before Christmas. We also had a particularly bad winter here and I just didn't fancy the drive across town every Tuesday evening. Since my dad's fall last summer, I'm also doing a lot more driving around with and for them.

I'm actually quite a homebody, and working in miniature suits my lifestyle to a T.

Trinity (black cat) is very very interested in my miniatures and everything else that I do. Missymew, not so much. She's only interested in anything that even slightly pertains to herself.

-Susanne

Russ likes to paint, but that's as involved as he gets.
He gives you support in your obsession and participates in it. Too many family members, relatives, close friends and life partners apparently don't seem to "get it". We who live with folks who understand our need to create and support or even participate in it are truly blessed!

It's hard to say, 'cause sometimes I'm alone in working with my minis. Other times I'll need a hand with something and ask Greg and he always comes to help, but then once the thing I needed help with is done he finds something else to work on either asking if something would be better here or what color this is going to be. :yay: I think I rubbed off on him more than he realizes :wave: . Chris wants to build but I think he's intimidated by everything, I gave him the robins roost to build and so far the only thing he's done is primed it. Amber, well she just like to play with my minis right now :thumb: .

Well I am fortunate enough to share the interest and love for all things in minis with my MIL and recently my mother (which I didn't think would happen before) has expressed an explicit interest in creating an open front kind of building sort of like the Lundby one but in 1/12 th scale. For that I thought the McKinley would work, don't you?

SO my MIL and I plan mini-weekends when the "guys" take care of the food preparation as well as the rest of the household chores.. We feel like queens those weekends LOL...

Then my hubby is very supportive when it comes to my minis and more than happy to help out when I need his hels as is my FIL (which is great as I get to loan his workshop, with the metal lathe etc etc...) so all in all I am lucky to have a very supportive family around me when it comes to the minis. It was actually my (then going to be PILs) who initially get me involved withthe minis as they bought an empty roombox with items to create a kitchen for my 18th B-day.

Hugs

My husband calls himself the "general contractor" and definitely is the "go-to" guy when I'm stuck with something, or need help. He has lots of very clever and creative ideas, and enjoys working on my houses with me. He definitely thinks of them as "my" houses, but is quick to show them off to folks. He loves the Brimble, especially.

creating an open front kind of building sort of like the Lundby one but in 1/12 th scale. For that I thought the McKinley would work, don't you?
Absolutely. Anna, show her the McKinley building blog pictures.

Jewels..you are not alone...Ilovecats and Doogster are also living in Utah...so now you know 2 more peeps in your state who enjoy minis!

you are not alone!

and we are glad you found us!

nutti :groucho:

For the most part I'm alone in my love for minis. My sisters and I collected minis when we were young, but they don't really have the interest. My mother and I built a Pierce when I was young, but that was a project for us to do because I wanted the house. My DH leaves me to my minis and will help if I ask, but loves to show off our display room to guests. My mother and one of my sisters are always willing to give opinions on things. One of my good friends went to check out the local dh shop, but she was more interested in checking out the pizza place next door. She was pretty amazed by all the minis though.

Jewels..you are not alone...Ilovecats and Doogster are also living in Utah...so now you know 2 more peeps in your state who enjoy minis!

you are not alone!

and we are glad you found us!

nutti :unsure:

That is great! We should open a mini shop! :groucho: Maybe we could spread the love of minis to our fellow Utahns! lol!

That is great! We should open a mini shop! :groucho: Maybe we could spread the love of minis to our fellow Utahns! lol!

Mike says there is one in Smithfield, UT, but he doesn't know the name. My DH is a truck driver and sometimes goes thru there, when leaving Idaho. We live in Pocatello.