Working on my Beacon

justmesue

The house came Friday, had company, stared at picture on box all weekend! Monday, opened box, it's all there YAY! Read instructions(for 3 hours) Tuesday, assembled shell, wrestled it into submission. Very sore legs now, but it's straight, and tonight I'm onto the stairs! Stay tuned! And 40 hours, just ain't gonna cut it! LOL

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suzanne, I know that feeling too well. Just don't forget to do your decorating on that side wall where the stairs go before installing them. Are you planning on lighting it? I'm so looking forward to seeing yours when it's done.

First floor stairs are in, painted, and so are those 2 walls, where they go. I'll probably only wire it later on. I just use the round plug- in wires. I can make a tiny hole with a screw for the ceiling lights, and just hide the floor lamp extensions with furniture. It worked O.K. in the Cranberry. Oh but I feel for all of you, who have fought with those stairs! I had the jaw clenched just right, twisted, turned, tilted, tipped, screamed, and just when I was about to run out of choice words, she slid right in! Are there any other hateful fits in the Beast errr, Beacon I showed be aware of? The saga continues... We are not quite ready for pics yet.

Hi Sue

Another BH builder here. I feel your pain on the stair install! :wave: but persistance paid off and they finally went in. Yours is coming along great. Keep posting pictures. I love to see everybodies progress. I hope to "play" on my tonight. I haven't updated pics in awhile..have to do that.

My Beacon is not exactly booting right along like the rest of you. I'm up to the chimney, I work full-time, so I only have a couple of hours each night to play. Seems it takes forever to find the parts, add a few, then wait for the glue to dry. I am having alot of fun however, and DH is pretty impressed, that I haven't needed him yet. He's hoping LOL. This is my first tab-and=slot from a new kit, and first all by myself house.

I work full-time, so I only have a couple of hours each night to play. Seems it takes forever
It took me 3 1/2 years to build my first dh kit for DGD while I was attending nursing school full time & working part time, not including having to go back to undo things, change my mind, etc. Building kits, believe it or not, is NOT a race. This is just a (very nice, wonderful) hobby that you do to relax and shut out the world, if need be, and however long it takes is how long it takes you. Besides, dhs are never really finished (or, if they have to be, I may as well quit now!).

My Beacon is not exactly booting right along like the rest of you. I'm up to the chimney, I work full-time, so I only have a couple of hours each night to play. Seems it takes forever to find the parts, add a few, then wait for the glue to dry. I am having alot of fun however, and DH is pretty impressed, that I haven't needed him yet. He's hoping LOL. This is my first tab-and=slot from a new kit, and first all by myself house.

Yes I work also so I only get to do a little bit here and there. I am hoping that when I take my vacation at the end of June that I can get the building a little bit further. But for the most part I am enjoying myself. And I celebrated when I got teh first floor stairs in ask the girls in chat lol.

Bec

Holly, thank you! :groucho: I get discouraged with my slow progress sometimes when I see others moving along at such amazing pace--it truly helps to "hear" that it's not a race--I just need to keep reminding myself that this is supposed to be fun and not compare myself . Between DH, 3 kids ( and their activies), my house, yard, and my own full-time job, even sleep is a premium!

Between DH, 3 kids ( and their activies), my house, yard, and my own full-time job, even sleep is a premium!
Been there, done that. I started minis after all the kids were grown & moved out, and now that I'm retired, yes I seem to build a lot of houses very quickly. It actually takes me the same amount of time it always did, I just happen to have more of it since we're retired now.

Suzanne and Cathy: I know how you feel, and I don't have kids at home anymore, but do work full time, so it always takes me a little longer. Plus I think I'm the Queen of Do Over, seems like no matter how careful I am, I still seem to have to take something apart and do it over. LOL

I look at it this way though, as long as I'm enjoying it and even if I only get a couple of things glued together every little bit is progress. It took me over 9 months to do the Lily and the WO sat for a while before it was completed due to RL issues.

So sit back and relax and enjoy the time you can spend. Like Holly said it is not a race.

Master BH is getting his top floor, sometime today! All the the roof supports are in place, and he's under tape and glue right now. I have painted the interior walls, floors and ceilings. Still need to paint 2 second floor ceilings, and 2 third floor room walls, but he's really looking like a house!

DH left a tad grumpy as I opted out of going to his favorite flea market to play with BH.(No minis at that one, so it wasn't a tough decision to make) I'm off work today, so I'm really trying to aquire something worthy of taking a picture of. Will be showing him off soon, I promise.

Ohhh it's looking Wonderful! Don't get discouraged. I remember when I worked out of the home, I found myself looking forward to getting home just so I could work on my dollhouse! Now during the day, I am reading to someone, cleaning up, taking someone somewhere or doing work for hubby's busisness and I don't get to work on them as much as I would like.

I must say that I think it is good and healthy to have this hobby of ours to look forward too. There is no rush on having fun plus, if you finish Master Beacon Hill too soon, you are gonna start craving to do another one just as quickly :banana: .

Your house is looking Wonderful!

Accomplishments from my day off-what a great day! DH managed to get himself involved with Master BH, I needed a clamp to hold the side in tight while he dried, and he just happens to own a bunch, of course, as with any tool, he had to demontrate it's use! Who wouldn't be o.k. with that? LOL

Your house is looking great mom!! Wow you are doing an awesome job getting it together. I hear ya tho, it does take a long time and I also wish I could get mine done quicker, between work, the kids, hubby and my other distractions it always feels like there are not enough hours in a day. But it's not a race, it's something fun to do on spare time. I will be updating my pics now since u asked for them. Sorry I haven't had much time lately, this past weekend I had company because of my graduation and then I ended up going out of town to get away for a bit and have fun. So I didn't work on my dh much but I will this week.Should be good to finish up the shingles in the next few days and then I can start on the inside. Well you are doing a great job on master BH! and if hubby is too jealous tell him to start building his cabin LOL I am looking forward to seeing that done up! hehe don't tell him I said that LOL Gotta buy my hubby a house too soon LOL Well bye for now, ttyl

Suzanne,

Master BH is looking great great great!!!! Boy I look at pics and I want to be where you are now lol. But I will bide my time till the end of the month and then hoping there will be no stopping me lol.

Hugs,

Bec