5/25/07 Gas Prices & The Holiday Weekend

22 members have voted

1. 1. Will high Gas prices keep you closer to home this Holiday weekend?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I clicked on no because we wouldn't have dealt with the holiday traffic anyway. For us, it has nothing to do with the price of gas but rather dealing with the crowds on the roads around here. Plus we have been having crazy weekends lately and are looking forward to spending one at home.

We will be home this weekend.

nothing planned as DH has made plans to work all weekend.

and the gas Prices will keep us home more than we would like them too this summer!

nutti :yes:

gas prices wil definitely keep me home more than i wish now and later. i wanted to drive to florida this summer to visit my grandparents, but i can't afford it. and i can't fly because of the increased risk of preterm labor....

I chose yes even though we don't have any plans. We do need to go to my sisters house to clean up the yard for Mabyn's Sweet 16 party for next weekend. I have been leary of doing that because it so windy. I will probably have to clean it up next Friday, too. My baby turns 16 on Tuesday.

The high gas prices have ended a lot of my travel for fun, except for our recent vacation which we were also careful to take prior to the actual summer vacation times when we knew gas prices were going to hike up.

I cannot even begin to imagine what this is doing to the tourism industry....

I have heard that it is going to slow down travel but I am not sure interstate yesterday looked full.. LOL

Hope that everyone has a safe holiday whatever your plans are :yes:

I went for "undecided" because ridiculous gas prices are one factor in deciding not to go to San Diego, but the husband's needing to study for a final and my being behind on projects are really what made the decision. But I'm feeling smug about not wasting the gas money for the trip -- does that count?

The only trip we're planning is to the local Lowe's for 2 pallets of concretemix. DH is wanting to finish the basement/work area. The area to be covered is about 18 ft. wide and 44 ft. long , a little less than half has been done to date. Now you know what our plans for the holiday will be, sore muscles! lol ouch

We noticed that the gas prices today were a few cents lower than they were last weekend. I have an extremely (and probably unreasonably) cynical opinion about gas prices. It doesn't effect our travel plans because if we were still working we'd have to spend the money on gas anyway (boo, hiss) and now we use so much less that even with all the traveling we do it's less of our budget than when we both worked.

The main reason we don't travel during holidays is that the campgrounds have all been filled by reservations months before, so we tend to play at home. Today we went with friends and paddled 5 miles from the dam on Spring Creek in Marianna, FL, to the first take-out on the Chipola River, a paddle we did the weekend after Memorial Day last year. This year there were a lot fewer people on their inner tubes and rafts (I only saw two rafts, in fact) and five outboard motors (one gentleman fishing from his boat had an electric motor). We had four fewer boats this time, but managed to fill the six we had with bottles & cans, a couple of innertubes, four inflatable rafts and several food wrappers; and that was just what we could reach. We could have included a child's tennis shoe, but the crawdad living in it wouldn't move out; so we moved him up onto the riverbank where he wouldn't get stepped on or chewed up by a boat prop.

Regular gas was 3.06 when we left Marshall last Wednesday. Under $3 in Mississippi & Louisiana. Got some for $2.91 yesterday with our Wal-Mart card discount and did a happy dance. :wave:

We're going to Houston from here (New Orleans) and then back to Missouri. In another month we're leaving for the west coast. We figure we don't have all the time in the world to travel, so may as well do it now.