10/21/05 Time Period

Minis On The Edge

If I were to have a favorite time period, which my dollhouses & miniatures reflect, I supposse it would be late 19th & early 20th century/ Edwardian/ Craftsman period because that was my grandparents' youth and they helped raise me, so I heard a lot about it.

Definitely victorian! It shows in my mini decor and my big house as well. In fact, it occasionally shows in my wardrobe too. I love the architecture, the elegance, the tassles, the beads, the velvets, the flourishes and fancy, the rich deep colors, the oriental overtones and all the tiny details. <happy sigh> Exploring a victorian setting yields a delightful discovery with every closer look. Maybe that's why it translates into minis so very well.

Deb

Mine would definitely be Victorian/Edwardian. Love the romance of it all, from decorating to clothing to the refinement of manners! :)

My second choice would be (do I get a second choice :lol: ) today's shabby chic style. It's soft and romantic.

You know how they say there's one screwball in every bunch? I guess I'm it cause my favorite is Elizabethan. Though I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how I"m going to get that into a dollhouse room and highly suspect that the castle I"m planning is going to be a mix of time periods, though I hope to keep it mostly medieval/Elizabethan. I just love the Elizabethan clothes - the speach, everything about it - and being built a little like Henry the VIII makes me feel right at home lol :)

-David

For my dollhouses, I like the 1860s time period, civil war, beautiful ballgowns, things like that. I try to stay within that period, but ...

Now, for the real house, or the country house, my furnishings are ranging from 1920s-1950s, and I'm having a lot of fun with that. The main house is just normal stuff--no old stuff in there, unless you count me, LOL!

Definitely Victorian! :) I just adore everything about this era. No, my first house wasn't in that era but it was for my granddaughter. The one I'm working on now is for me and is definitely going to be Victorian. I also collect Victorian Porcelain dolls and also am so attracted to Victorian furniture. Debbie

Debbie4159, did you see the doll that CatColorado made for me? I wanted a lady wearing a victorian style riding habit that would sit side saddle on a horse. She got a kit and made the doll from the kit and designed the riding habit herself. If you didn't see it, here's a picture:

post-6-1129945592_thumb.jpg

Is there a particular name for a hodge-podge approach to furnishing and decorating? I'm not as up on the different periods as you all seem to be, I just look at stuff and decide if I like it and hope it goes with other things I like. :)

Peggi

I pretty much stick with today's time period. I love modern conveniences in older houses - kind of like the area I live in. In my Arthur, I have some older looking items, but I also have current magazines, pizza boxes, books, and even an alarm clock. I think I have to keep it fairly modern to be able to imagine myself living in it. :)

I would have to say Victorian. I love medieval--but there is only so much decorating you can do in the medieval period without it looking like fantasy.

So the victorian era is kind of my favorite---and I'm like Linda in this respect--I grew up hearing alot about that civil way era from my great grandparents, and the late 1880's....I think growing up in the south has alot of influence on decorating, because so many people down here live in old houses.

Linda, your doll is beautiful that Cat designed. She needs a dashing gallant beau now to take her to the ball!

Another era that is fun to decorate is the English country 1900's-1930's when the big country house parties were all the rage...Howards's End, some of those movies really reflect the era...one of my favorites is The Age of Innocence...that was full of references to a bygone era when things were a little more gracious than today. I love reading Edith Wharton, and get alot of inspiration from her books. Oh, Agatha Christie too! :)

Linda, you need a guy to go with her now :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cat's working on it Tracy! Her school and other things has been quite hectic though, so it's delayed. I'm in no great hurry.

:) Hi:

I like the Victorian and so does my wife, my jefferson is kind of decorated in the 1950 -60's, except for the motorclcle. This was the first dollhouse that I built and decorated, took me 2 yrs. to finish and I am still looking for the people occupy it.

I'm into the architecture and interior of the 19th and early 20th century. I love the Victorian, the Edwardian, Art Nouveau and Art Deco. Most of my miniatures are Art Nouveau, some are Victorian. I try to create a realistic mini turn-of-the-century-home. When people look at my dollhouse they shall get an impression of life in the early 20th century. They shall get the feeling to travel with a time machine! :lol: In my 1:1 home most of my furniture is about one hundred years old (I inherit it from my grandmother and she from her aunt). I love do decorate rooms and in my home I've mixed the 1900s with the romantic shabby chic style. My home is very light (pastel colors: a lot of white, pink, light blue, etc.) and a little bit too romantic and feminine! :) But I'm not wearing old fashioned clothes and I also prefer to listen to rock bands, even punk rock and I like to go to loud and dirty concerts! :( So....I think, I'm torn! ;)

I'm not sure why I love the 19th and early 20th century that much. I've been always fascinated by beautiful old houses and furniture, I love art and I think that most of the modern furniture doesn't have any charm, soul and also no story to tell. I love films playing in the 19th/20th century and especially in historical houses, they may as well be a little bit spooky! :lol: