5/27/07 Rudest Comment about Your Minis

One comment I received recently "Aren't you an adult?" Yes, I am, but miniatures allows me to relax when the kids start bouncing off the walls.

They allow me to express myself in a way I never thought I could. I just let the comments go right past me. I know I can do this and don't allow my physical imperfections to impede my learning. And if a person can't understand that, then they are the ones with the problem!

One comment I received recently "Aren't you an adult?" Yes, I am, but miniatures allows me to relax when the kids start bouncing off the walls.

They allow me to express myself in a way I never thought I could. I just let the comments go right past me. I know I can do this and don't allow my physical imperfections to impede my learning. And if a person can't understand that, then they are the ones with the problem!

The problem with a lot of creative people is other's opinions do matter to them. Comments made without thinking are one thing but some take a perverse pleasure in deliberately shaking the joy out of even the simpliest pleasures.

some take a perverse pleasure in deliberately shaking the joy out of even the simpliest pleasures.
Life is too short to bother with mean people, and I don't mind letting those mean people know that.

• 4 weeks later...

The only rude thing that has been said to me was by a "friend." I was simply telling her that I was working on my dollhouse, and...., but before I could finish she said, "Oh! Those dollhouses are so big! And you have to dust them! They take up so much room! and blah blah blah.

I will never understand why some people can't just be polite, or, at least, pretend to be interested!

• 3 months later...

I haven't any rude comments tossed my way yet, though I am still a noob. When I presented my dad with his Christmas present, a billiard room, I didn't expect the response I got. He's one of those types who likes to receive presents he can use, rather than "sit somewhere gathering dust." However, when he saw the details and personal minis I put into his roombox, he was really excited!

About a week or so after Christmas we were talking on the phone and he said I should start "manufacturing" my minis and he'd be happy to do the woodwork! :lol: That felt pretty nice to hear. :p

I do have to say that those who criticize our hobbies are often the ones afraid to let themselves go and pour themselves into something fun and truly interesting. I've been criticized for many of my varied interests, but I've learned to ignore the critics and enjoy myself. Hey, if I am having a great time, and hurting no one in the process, what could ever be the problem?? :)

My sister asking when I get another house "where are you gonna put that one??" The tone was what came out rude. Especially since this sister still lives at home with my parents (at 26) I'm thinking I have a house of my own what difference does it make to you? That and the constant "Are you gonna sell that?" NO IT"S MINE! BACK OFF!!

My sister asking when I get another house "where are you gonna put that one??" The tone was what came out rude. Especially since this sister still lives at home with my parents (at 26) I'm thinking I have a house of my own what difference does it make to you? That and the constant "Are you gonna sell that?" NO IT"S MINE! BACK OFF!!
Next time your DS asks if you're going to sell one of your houses you can ask her why, since she probably can't afford it if you did. (I figure sometimes a dumb s**t remark deserves a smart a** answer...)
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hahaha! :) I have been laughing a lot reading this topic.

Until now I never heard a nasty remark on my mini's.

Or maybe there have been, but I did not listen to it ;) .

I do what I do and I do what I like.

But most of my familymembers and friends know they can say anything to

me, in a decent manner.

But if the are rude, they get it right back.

Maybe that's the reason.

I don't know.

Maybe the reasons they do not

make rude or nasty comments is because I do not tell

them what this hobby costs.

Its not that I deliberately not tell them, it just is never subject

to conversation.

And by the way, how on earth can expieriencing that this

hobby makes me feel good,

trigger someone else to say ugly things?

I do not think I would appreciate those people's company. :(

• 1 month later...

I was bluntly asked "aren't you jumping into something too quickly.... I mean people do this for years and they all still turn out looking like crappy attic toys, it's alot of money on something you can't even touch once it's finished" from there the lecture continued but in my head I had circus music playing so I missed most of it :stereo: 'do do doodle loodle do do doo do'... :cocktail: Lucky for me as the circus music was playing in my head my hubby was proud enough of my new found hobby to speak up... You see he plays with two stroke remote controlled cars, and he insisted one day I'd build him a doll house with a big enough garage to keep his prized possession 1/5th scale baja in! Awwww we love our minis!!!! :lush:

I think the rudest thing someone said to me was that I "live in my own little fantasy world", (now to me this could be a compliment, but it was said rather rudely and sarcastically, like they were poking fun at me).

To which I said... "notice how you put the word "little" in there!!!"

:cocktail:

I've had the "ohhhh, dollhouses, huh?" comment a few times, and I've patiently explained (and shown) that these are carefully worked out miniaturizations of full-sized things to fit a particular scale. That usually either makes their eyes glaze over (most can't deal with the arithmetic involved in downscaling and figure you're a geek if YOU do it), or they are charmed and impressed and want to know more.

Reading this thread I just had a revelation - my mother passed before I got involved with miniatures, and it's my one great grief that she never saw my work or how much pleasure it is giving me. I just remembered that she was in love with houses, adored walking or driving around to see houses, and each Sunday spent hours poring over the real estate classified ads and the write-ups of houses and their interiors, and those hours were some of the happiest she ever spent. The revelation is that she would have adored this hobby, which she never discovered and that I stumbled into by accident. She would be SO happy for me - and it proves that genetics do indeed hold true, because now I am in love with houses and what's in them....

And of course Daddy was a carpenter and spent my entire childhood "bashing" a full-sized house....

Guess I got a double dose. :cocktail:

It seems to me that most people that make barbed remarks toward others are simply unhappy with themselves and the lives they are leading. For instance, I have had people berate me for "using big words". How ridiculous is that??? What I find most sad is that those "big words" they were threatened by were simply basic words that most people use in daily conversation. I believe that whatever brings you happiness is a positive influence in your life, and if others find solace in attacking it, it is best to simply ignore their pointless attacks. I work at a post office, and one of my co-workers asked me (in a jeering manner) if a beadwork feature they spotted in a magazine with my name accredited was actually me. When I told them it was, they made condescending remarks toward me. If I were to allow them to ruin my pleasure in my artistic-creative pursuits, I would be the only one losing out. I do what I do, I enjoy what I do, and I allow myself the freedom of realizing that we are all different and that is o.k. I also realize that while some will sneer at my pleasure in miniatures, and think that it is silly for an adult to pursue this hobby, others find it fascinating and even become interested in trying their own hand at building something in miniature. One thing I learned from 3 miserable marriages is that you can only be responsible for yourself: you cannot fix the character deficiencies in others. You can, though, hope that one day that person will be able to move past the obstacles of their own insecurities and biases and find the simple pleasures in life that you are already fortunate enough to experience. I have made a lot of wonderful friends through my love of miniatures, plus I have developed a special bond with my brother through our miniature collaborations, so I can honestly say that there is nothing that could shake my joy in creating and collecting miniatures.

There will always be someone, somewhere at some point in time, for some reason, that will crap on your parade, whether it be intentional or not. The trick is to shrug it off, smile, tell them to have a nice day, and keep on minying. If you have a tough time shaking it, then come tell us, and you'll always have shoulders to lean on here, and ears who can understand and sympathize with you.

I feel truly sorry for people whose lives are so sterile that they cannot share in the pleasure of losing themselves in another world of their own making, or whose childhoods were so bleak that they no longer let their inner child out to play. Definitely they aren't worth letting their nastiness spoil your own joy.

It blows me away that people actually think we care to hear their negative words :stereo: or that they will change us. Once dollhouses & Minis are in our blood, even when or if we take a break from them :cocktail: , we always, ALWAYS come back to them sometime in the future :hide: . Isn't it great to have a place to vent with people who really "get it". :lush:

Ha! I've never actually had someone say a rude thing to my face..but a person did turn up her nose like she had a bad smell when I pointed out my display in the livingroom.It was kinda funny. Wish I had

taken a picture of that face....nose in the air and drooping mouth!Hahahahahahahaha...

I haven't had many rude comments other than the customary 'why?' when i tell them what I do, or wanting to know if it's for my granddaughter. I know these folks just don't understand collectible dollhouses.

However, I got a couple this week that kinda surprised me, when I put some pictures of them on my facebook. The surprising one was from DH's cousin. Now, her husband is retired and builds fantastic birdhouses and did a recreation of the original house on the farm. Not the inside, just a scale model similar to his birdhouses. so when I posted my pictures, she responded with 'nice'. OK, I thought, she's not into dollhouses. But last night DH was talking to her on the phone and mentioned that I was busy 'building a floor for her new house' and she asked him if HE built the houses for me to decorate! He never missed a beat and told her that no, I did them all myself. I guess she thinks only men know how to use wood glue.

The other comment, which was really pretty funny, came from another of his cousins. Now, don't get me wrong, I am a religious person, but this woman is a genuine fanatic. She and her husband started their own town in Oklahoma so that they could control who lives in it, have a church based school, no stores open on Sunday, etc, etc. When she saw my antique shop, her only comment was 'WHY is that Hindu Idol in your house???' (It's in the attic in front of a stack of unframed prints).

Being the ornery person I am, I ignored the insinuation behind the comment and responded 'to keep the pictures from falling over'. Haven't heard from her since then, I'm sure she's busy disowning me! :)

A Hindu doll family owns the Orchid General Store and they have an altar to G'nesh on the wall, complete with offerings (and a dental mirror so I can peek in at the wee statue of the Infant God in His shrine).

It seems funny that so many people have negative things to say about miniatures when they accept other people's hobby or art ya know? they dont question football? or bikes? or anything else like that LOL maybe it is the whole "toy" thing and they feel like WE should grow up? I have always had comments on what i make, and most of the time it is a confused and distasteful "well that is Different!" I found my place in what I make in the miniature world when I did the Chicago show last year and i got the very same comment many times, but it was said with joy and excitement and smiles!!!!! LOL It felt really good!!!

a couple of weeks ago I had a buyer in Greece buy some dolls (she still is LOL) and she wired me money. I went to the pharmacy that gets these wires and the woman there asked what i did that she bought...could i bring a doll in????? sure....brought one in and showed her and she said, confused, and almost distatefully, "and she likes these???" I said with smiles "yeah!" sighhhhhhh