5/27/07 Rudest Comment about Your Minis

• 1 month later...

I went into a hardware store this arvo and said that I needed some gold paint, fine brushes and some timber trim. She asked what it was for, and of course I told her. The young assistant said "Oh! you won`t need that (good quality products) this is what you`ll need" and took me to a section for craft mainly kiddies stuff. The paint was for paper, and instead of timber trim there was bits of cardboard. I told her it was for a collectors dollhouse and would need the good stuff. I said that it is an expensive hobby. "Yes I know that, but we still decided to decorate it for my niece to play with and she is only 2yrs old.....People just don`t get it, do they. Dianne A.

Dianne, at that point you ask her sweetly to let you speak with the store manager or her supervisor and ask whether they want your trade or not; and either to sell you what you asked for or you'll go somewhere that will. It might at least give the "sales" clerk something to think about...

I've been lucky, I guess--I've asked locations in stores for materials, castoffs, odd items and people are genuinely glad to see stock moving off the shelf. Most say nice things about dollhouses and mention the one they/their sister/friend had. I'm sorry so many have had bad encounters. Maybe any sale in our depressed area is welcome.

Kelly - sounds like the same situation with child-rearing. The ones who don't have the kids, have all the answers for raising them properly! My mother was a single parent, after I was about 5, and her single-lady friends had lots of advice for her. Fortunately, God endowed her with a pretty good brain, so she politely thanked them and ignored the advice. If not, I'm sure I would be in an institution now! :borg:

I have a friend who used to confide in me about her daughter, and often we would talk about kids in general. Whenever I had a "solution" I would always add the fact that I don't have kids, so therefore I know all the answers. That put everything into perspective, kept the conversation light-hearted, and showed that I understood.

• Like 2

I made the comment tonight that I work with miniatures and someone thought I was talking about working with "little people" and I don't mean children.... *headdesk, rinse, repeat*... I had to explain that I meant doll houses complete with electricity...

Awkward conversations for the win!!!

~morningstar~

If his comment weren't so ignorant, it would be funny. Seriously, would anyone call a little person a minature?

• Like 1

I remember one of my guy cousins who had a friend who was into building customized cars (and often financially strapped because he overstepped his resources). When I invited said cousin, his wife, and friend over for dinner, the friend made the smart-alecky comment about my dollhouses as "man, why would you spend this money on this girly crap!" Yes, he did use the word crap.

Before my cousin could say anything (and before my husband could throttle him - if anything, he actively encourages my hobby), I just smiled and said

"I only buy this 'crap' when I get my bonuses. Which has been quite often now, thanks to my bosses liking my work immensely."

That shut the friend up quite quickly. Luckily, my cousin decided to cut ties with him a few years afterward. :D

• Like 2

Daphne, I admire your level-headedness and ability to react quickly. I might have said it was for same reason he spends money on his boy toys. Your response was more tactful and better put things into perspective.

Daphne, I admire your level-headedness and ability to react quickly. I might have said it was for same reason he spends money on his boy toys. Your response was more tactful and better put things into perspective.

Thanks Maureen -- my husband initially disagreed with my response. He felt I had every right to spend what I earn on the hobby (much like my cousin's former friend). Guess what irked me with the friend's statement was the assumption of whatever money I had, simply went to the minis. Goodness, folks seem to forget we have other obligations in life too! :furious:

Think that's what infuriates me when people make comments about our hobby. As if they think we forget about everything else.

Actually, I do forget everything else when I am involved with minis, Daphne. - I'm only kidding, but I sometimes wish I could forget everything else.

What bothered me about the friend's comment was that he called your hobby crap and had no business commenting on how you spend your money - especially since you could afford your hobby, while he was the one struggling with his.

• Like 1

Well I just got done stalking the mailman again. Of course I know my dollhouse wont be here till next week but I have high hopes. lol Plus I got a few other things coming for the DH. Yesterday I got my new printer. But anyway the mailman looked at me as he went to the neighbor to deliver a package and said : ``are you waiting for something```? I told him yes so first he was rude by saying oh you getting some of your stupid halloween stuff again? ( he knows cause the shops I buy are named like horrorclinic and horrorshop so he was wondering what in the world you would get there. As I said no I am waiting for a dollhouse I ordered. His response was: ``a dollhouse I mean how old are you? ´´ Nope that wasnt it yet than he said``apperently some people just have to much time and money´´. Thank you so much! :furious: When my husband orders his 1000 carparts nothing will be said but a dollhouse and halloween stuff is for people with to much time and money. That kind of P.M.O.

At least my friends, my husband and the nice people in this forum support me.

Obviously that mail carrier was so bored delivering bills and junk mail, he couldn't resist commenting on your deliveries. I suppose that whenever he drops off a post card, he assumes the senders have tons of time and money to be able to take a vacation and write out a card because maybe he doesn't travel himself, or wouldn't be considerate enough to send a card if he did.

Maybe when your dollhouse comes, you can remind him about how much more interesting you are than the people at the other homes he delivers to. You can say something like, "Admit it; I make your day." That will shut him up, even though it is probably the truth. - Or if he is so hung up on your Halloween stuff, why not tell him you are a witch, and you send away for potions so that you can cast spells on people who are rude to you. If he is as one-dimensional as it sounds, he will probably believe you. :holloween:

Obviously that mail carrier was so bored delivering bills and junk mail, he couldn't resist commenting on your deliveries. I suppose that whenever he drops off a post card, he assumes the senders have tons of time and money to be able to take a vacation and write out a card because maybe he doesn't travel himself, or wouldn't be considerate enough to send a card if he did.

Maybe when your dollhouse comes, you can remind him about how much more interesting you are than the people at the other homes he delivers to. You can say something like, "Admit it; I make your day." That will shut him up, even though it is probably the truth. - Or if he is so hung up on your Halloween stuff, why not tell him you are a witch, and you send away for potions so that you can cast spells on people who are rude to you. If he is as one-dimensional as it sounds, he will probably believe youI

I think you right he might think that I am a witch anyways. I think that his little life is so damn boring or he might be jealous. I just dont understand why people have to give their oppinion even though they were not asked. I am all for telling the truth and when somebody asks what I think or for my opinion I will let them know but I did not ask for his. I cooled down but in the first moment I was upset. ;)

I think we have discussed this before, but it seems that people who make rude personal, un-called--for remarks are people who don't have any outside interests of their own and are either jealous or completely baffled at people who do. I would certainly ask the postal carrier who asked him to make personal remarks about your hobby.

• Like 1

Most people are amazed that an adult would be "playing" with dollhouses but most people are just interested in my hobby. The only comment I had once from someone who doesn't matter was "Grow up!" ............my response..........NEVER!!!! :p

• Like 2

Most people are amazed that an adult would be "playing" with dollhouses but most people are just interested in my hobby. The only comment I had once from someone who doesn't matter was "Grow up!" ............my response..........NEVER!!!! :p

So if I gave away my dollhouses so that I could grow up, would I also have to stop buying stuffed animals, eating lollipops, drinking cool-aid, playing board games, celebrating my friends' birthdays, singing a song every now and then, and any of the other things that may provide a link to childhood? No wonder why you said, "Never."

• Like 3

Guess I've been pretty lucky. Our office is being remodelled, so a lot of cleaning and clearing out is going on. So many people have asked if an item is something I can use for the dollhouses before they throw it away, I have a box of "treasure" parts to play with.

• Like 2

To quote some other folks who were very creative:

To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. Thomas Edison

Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. George Scialabba

The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. Albert Einstein

• Like 4