5/27/07 Rudest Comment about Your Minis

Truthfully, if it weren't for the Internet, and in particular this site, I myself wouldn't realize how popular this hobby is. Here I thought I was a rarity, and now after all these years I am finding out that I am normal. - Who would have known.

This is how I feel exactly! I was worried for a while... at the Miniature Showecase every year, I'm one of a handful that doesn't have grey hair. I was thinking I might be the last, but I'm feeling better about our numbers now that I'm on the forum!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think I have ever had a bad or rude comment about my houses. My spouse isn't sure about them, but helps in the strangest ways. He built a LONG table for me to put the three finished ones on. I have one friend from my high school that loves the pictures I post on FB. She wants to MOVE into them. I am still looking for that machine from "honey I shrunk the kids".

I just got a picture on text from the co-worker I gave one to (for his granddaughter), they all love it. She is so cute.

I had a relative look at my house in progress and comment (in a falsetto voice) "Are you going to play with your dollies? I know you want to stay out here all day and play with dolls". A b#**h slapping would have been in order but I let it go.

• Like 2

I had a relative look at my house in progress and comment (in a falsetto voice) "Are you going to play with your dollies? I know you want to stay out here all day and play with dolls". A b#**h slapping would have been in order but I let it go.

I'm afraid I would have smilingly replied (in my own falsetto voce),"Why, yes, I really would rather stay out here playing with my dolls than put up with your ***"" (But I can't think of any of my relatives I'd need to use it on...)

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Most people I know are pretty respectful and kind about my hobby, but I have gotten the occasional "so you like playing with dollies?" (In a very rude, sarcastic tone)

I've also been told to grow up. And my favourite: "Did you have a bad childhood? Is that why you're trying to re-live it and act like a little girl??"

• 1 month later...

Seriously though.......I have a brother in law......I know, I know, it's not my fault............anyway whenever he is forced to peer into one of my houses by his wife (who I actually like) he will always utter those damning words................."Is that supposed to be............"

The man has no soul and even less imagination!

I hope you told him it's a dolls' house and you haven't had time to shop for the dolls who will live in it yet.

Sometimes I think they're just clueless. They can't imagine getting satisfaction and even joy out of doing something that they have not experienced. I'll bet every one of us has craftspeople in our family tree, grew up around people who appreciated handiwork of all kinds, who sewed, crocheted, knitted, worked with wood or made jewelry or the like -- or were exposed to people who did those things. We are the accumulation of our experiences. I'm sorry the experiences of the naysayers did not provide them with an appreciation of what we do. It may be their loss, but I'm sure they don't see it that way.

Personally, I can't get my head around professional sports, but there seem to be limitless numbers of fanatics who enjoy it. That may be my loss, but I don't see it that way.

• Like 1

Here, Here, Kathie.............he said bringing his balled hand down hard on the table!...................death to all sports fans and Viva La Dolls House Revolution!.........we should all walk around with bandanas around our heads and craft knives gripped between gritted teeth...........but I do totally agree with you.

:lol: No need to go postal! I think strolling about with a craft knife and a little smile will do. :)

Some of us are sports fans...

I wasn't implying that appreciation of miniatures and and appreciation of sports are exclusionary. I was using myself as an example to illustrate that different folks take different strokes. A list of things that really light my fire is going to be different from your list or the list of any member here, but all of our lists will include miniatures.

• Like 2

Whoops..............what I meant to say Holly was

"Death to all sports fans who don't have an interest in dolls houses or are not related in any way.....even if only by association......to anyone who has the remotest interest in dolls houses and miniatures whatsoever and that of course only applies to those sports fans who watch chariot racing and gladiatorial sports on the first Monday of every new moon!"

Monday night here has been taken over by American football. We're woefully short on chariot tracks.

• Like 1

Back On Track..............Don't you just hate it when someone always seems to point at the one thing you didn't make and asks....."Did you make that"?

Depending on the attitude of the questioner, at times I have been sorely tempted to fudge the truth.

Seeing your work, Mike, I think it's safe to answer "Yes, I did."

I graduated from the University of Florida 49+ years ago (egads! has it been that long?), so I do like to watch them play; and, by association, I like to watch college sports. But if it's a choice between working in my workshop or listening to the 'Gatorrs play Podunk College on the radio, I'll be out in the back yard!

Somehow I can't imagine false nails, even with neon colors on the tips, would distract me from admiring your mini work, Mike; although I'd wonder how you were able to do such fine mini work AND keep your manicure!lol

Now that would stop the conversation dead in it's tracks.........they would be so impressed with my 'tips' the dolls house would be completely overlooked!

I've used that tactic before with people who try to tell me I knit incorrectly. I'm left-handed, so I knit left to right. A few times, I've have had people attempt to pull my work out of my hands so I could "start over correctly". Do they not realize I have sharp pointy objects (my needles) and I'm not afraid to use them?

• Like 1

I am always pleased when my hubby tells people that I make dollhouses. :) And he has even come to appreciate why artisan pieces come with a hefty price! :D However, he still cringes at how much I spend. oops.

When I was in the cake business, my mother often had a hard time saying anything constructive about my work. Oh she commented about how good I was, but it was always in the negative context of "how can you do all of this and still take care of a house and my 3 grandbabies". :/ But now that I have retired from the cakes, the kids are grown and I am now rehabbing dollhouses, she suddenly is very quick to tell her friends (or anyone) about my dollhouses and when visiting, she will always want to see my latest project. ??? Go figure.

My favorite is "Do you make money at this?" I usually laugh and say something like "It keeps me off the streets" or "It's cheaper than therapy" but sometimes.....(getting out craft knife and looking for my bandanna....)

DS #1's MIL asked me that about my 1:1 needlework (I gave the kiddos a king-size hand=crocheted bedspread for their wedding pressie). I truly pity people whose lives are too limited to include a creative hobby or so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I make miniature copies of people on my curling team and of my friends who are elite curlers in Canada and the united states. Then I set them up in dioramas, add an internet meme caption, and post them to a facebook page called "Mini Meme Monday." I spend about 20 hours on each character, making exact replicas of their curling uniforms etc and people in the curling world love my Mini Memes. However,  every now and then someone will say to me "Wow. You must have too much time on your hands."  HUH? I NEVER let people get away with that comment and I'd never use that phrase to anyone about anything. I always reply "Wow. That's a really diminishing comment and I don't appreciate it."  They always think they are being clever or funny, but they are neither. Rant over. I'll get off my soapbox now, before I fall off. lol

• Like 2