5/27/07 Rudest Comment about Your Minis

Most people are amazed at my hobby.  If there are any negative comments, I I just I just tell them I don't have a life anyway.  Minis make me happy, they don't talk back and don't call me names.  My kids call me a hourder.  Oh well, it's their inheritance I'm spending. .hahaha 

• Like 2

The rudest comment I've ever had was from an ambulance crew. My partner is ill (so it was a bad time anyway) and I'd been working on some quarter scale furniture. Their comment was 'how about selling them on ebay?'

I've no problem with people who make a living out of building miniatures and are miniature artists, but I create them for myself. As it is, I now don't like anyone other than another miniaturist seeing my work.

I've had ambulance people with a poor bedside manner too - you'd think they would be better equipped with dealing with stressed people.

Doing a Rik Pierce workshop at Shellie's Miniature Mania, some people had walked into the store (non-miniaturists) and said they were great but "what do you do with it?". I said "what do you do with the Mona Lisa?".

1 hour ago, Icewolf said:

The rudest comment I've ever had was from an ambulance crew. My partner is ill (so it was a bad time anyway) and I'd been working on some quarter scale furniture. Their comment was 'how about selling them on ebay?'

I've no problem with people who make a living out of building miniatures and are miniature artists, but I create them for myself. As it is, I now don't like anyone other than another miniaturist seeing my work.

People don't appreciate all  of the blood, sweat, and tears that go into it. (I am new to the hobby, but I do now)

I think it is easier doing real life building.(I've done a lot of assisting in this area; my husband does not believe in paying anyone to do anything!)  Most people appreciate construction trades because most would never attempt to do it themselves, they hire someone to do it for them instead. In reality, real life construction is more back breaking due to the weight of materials, miniatures are more mind break breaking due to the focus and detail that is needed to suspend reality.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2007, 1:31:10, chesterfieldzoo said:

At christmas a cousin asked about my houses. My sister in law commented that should anything ever happen to me that she would just bring one of those rolling dumpsters to the house and just toss all that crap because it's just too much to sort through. I said it was a good thing she was not in my will. LOL!!!

This just hurt my soul.  Not very nice of your SIL.

• Like 2

Speaking of "all that crap" -- I had decorated a small water fountain and had it for sale at a craft show. It was a dark grey, slate looking fountain. I had added some greenery, a beautiful fairy, a few flowers peeking through the "rocks" and I think a little turtle or frog.  One customer was looking at it closely, as the water bubbled happily into the pool.  After a moment she said, "That fountain would be pretty cute if all that crap was scraped off!"  

She's lucky I was behind my table! 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hey there is a flipside to this..

I just crossed the border back into Canada after picking up from my US postal address  The border official asked me what I had picked up and I told him, a doll house and  some 1/24 scale kits I had bought off e bay to furnish it. He asked me who it was for and I said in a big voice " it's for me". he started to laugh and I quite cheekily  asked him why a 75 year old shouldn't play with dolls houses, he laughed even more and waved me off saying  "have fun with your toys"  I was so happy because  he was so busy making fun of me he forgot to ask me the price and didn't charge me any duty..

Sometimes it pays to be thought of as odd!!

• Like 4

Jeannine, there is no reason why a 75 year old shouldn't play with dollhouses.  THIS 75 year old also plays with fashion dolls, paperdolls and coloring books (as well as threads & needles & hooks...) AND I ride a little red tricycle:

Suwanee Sweetheartso there!

• 4 months later...

Right now I feel lucky everyone around me is supportive and all say good things . Hopefully I'll have a great come back for the nasty person who could be out there . But most likely I'll say nothing and give them the you are a sad soul look.

2 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Call it scale modelling. They understand that. As you say Nell, sad souls.

Also might refer to it as architectural modeling, but really, why bother? Either a person is one of us or a Muggle. And the Muggles don't matter. :D 

• Like 2

My rudest comments and derogatory remarks have been from myself, to myself, in my own space. Others (family members will and have been in awe of me making such a structure from sheet and scrap wood and will make nice comments to that fact) ME well I criticize and curse my efforts along will some praise on the odd occasion :) ..My model is not perfect, although I would like it to be (it is my first dip into  the Dolls House making/modelling world) I didnt work from a plan (precise scale measurements...close but not splitting hairs close) so what do you expect I ask myself. Next time will be different...First things first all I wanted was to build a HOUSE...then I find myself tumbling headlong into period architecture etc... Nothing wrong with that he says...except when things just don't go to the plans you have in your head, then I do call myself a lot of unsavory names sometimes out loud and more so mentally...probable borderline madness...When you make a silly mistake does your self spiteful/critical demon make an appearance and offer a few choice words :hmm: 

• 1 year later...

Mine wasn't so much a rude comment as a despicable action. A former entitled in law hung wet socks and other washed items on the roof of my Pepperwood Farm during an overnight visit. Needless to say when I walked into the room and saw what she had done I was mortified! Her response was "Well I knew it would upset you."  Seriously ya think! 

• Like 1

I'm really open about my miniature crafting now - after years of being quiet about it - because these days everyone is binge watching TV or playing games online or facebooking and other virtual non-tangibles, but there I am with something to enjoy. A quiet space with my favorite things.  And doesn't require wifi or screens. Our family's art skills are way ahead at school because they have access to glues, papers, beads, wood, etc at home - and they have a parent doing it with them. Again - no need to pay for wifi, netflix subscriptions or ipads...it's all in front of them. Love it. Enjoy the old fashioned stuff while we can - the digital stuff will get in front of them soon enough.

• Like 4