5/27/07 Rudest Comment about Your Minis

I'm so on your wavelength re: the digital stuff, Elsbeth.

I've never had any really rude comments, but a couple months ago my husband slipped up and said in reference to one of my dollhouses, "That's the only one of your houses I like .... (Pause. Deer-in-headlghts expression) Errr, uh-uh-uh, I mean, of all your houses, that one's my favorite!"

(Me: crossed arms, raised eyebrow) "Valiant effort trying to dig your @$$ out of that hole, sweetheart."

He builds models so he has no room to talk. I love his cars and regular stock vehicles. Really don't like anything military. For Christmas I conveniently give him any 1/12 model cars I can find. One day I'm going to "borrow" a couple to park in front of my houses, HA!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KellyA said:

For Christmas I conveniently give him any 1/12 model cars I can find. One day I'm going to "borrow" a couple to park in front of my houses, HA!

I do this too!:giggle: All my houses will be inhabited by rich people because he only wants the Porsche ones.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

I do this too!:giggle: All my houses will be inhabited by rich people because he only wants the Porsche ones.:rolleyes:

That's the problem isn't it? I run into that issue too but more of a problem for me are the years of the cars. He's got a '57 Chevy, '59 Cadillac, '64 Mustang, etc., etc., I don't know what all.

I got him this 1:12th scale kit a couple years ago and he just recently got started on it. He's about 1/3 of the way through and has appropriated a good chunk of my workspace. At least it's an older model. I could make the landlady of my 1930s apartment building Cruella de Vil, but then I'd need a hundred and one tiny Dalmatians.

1937 Cord.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Some years ago I used to keep the 3 dollhouses I had built as of then on stands in corners of my living room. My husband didn't like them being there. To him dollhouses didn't belong in the living room. He said - why don't I put them in the basement where they belonged. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grazhina said:

Some years ago I used to keep the 3 dollhouses I had built as of then on stands in corners of my living room. My husband didn't like them being there. To him dollhouses didn't belong in the living room. He said - why don't I put them in the basement where they belonged. 

OUCH!

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

And you are still married? :headhurts:

LOL

A few weeks ago he told me that I should smack him with a flyswatter when he says something annoying. A few days later I saw a display of oversized flyswatters so I bought one, hung it in my pantry, and have  wacked him with it several times since then.:clap: Yesterday when he made a stupid remark I chased him through the kitchen with an icepack . I caught him, pulled up his shirt and pressed the pack firmly against his back. He can't run as fast as he used to.:carrot:

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

The rudest commentary I have received from my family (of course)..."You don't make any money off it..." I have sold things over the years and done some customs for people and individually those items pulled their weight.  I say it's a self paid for hobby.  The point of the hobby is ART!!! Enjoyment!!!, and Therapy!!! so many things we can say. I just love shrinking things... My family are less than supportive of anything I do and rather decent off, so to be honest they don't count for any reason they are the kind that look down on others no matter what.  I was a in Service for 23 years and don't have a picture on their walls. When I was deployed they emptied my studio of everything (i saw the dump pile on satelite google...) countless times they did this, loosing thousands, and now I'm back where I started with paint, glue, and cardboard like I am 10 again...they haven't learned a creative mind needs to create, and create I will (sometimes I build just to "P" them off). It's how I get my jolleys, I don't have to stoop low, just be me it's irritating them...We're talking about a group of people who don't think my serving my country was an important job, and that having a technical medical career is not a soldier.  I'm a humanitarian, and an artist OH WELL! 

• Like 1

I'm glad that you know your value, and I'm sorry that your family doesn't.  Thank you for your service, you have made a difference in this world.  

In our Greenleaf group, you will find plenty of kindred spirits!  We applaud each other's efforts, talents, and knowledge - and support each other when the going gets a little rough.

What Rosalind said!! Welcome to the forum. :chat: 

Thank you for your service to our country, dear heart. You are appreciated here, and completely understood. We look forward to seeing what you construct from your new stash of materials. 

• 8 months later...

I think I'm too new for this to apply, but I'm rude to myself a lot. I'll try to convince myself that I have other things that need done, or that there isn't a point when there's XYZ that's more important...

But now I have a baby girl and it's all for her! So I can have fun for her to have fun later 🙂

• Like 1

You know, I think this is something we all do from time to time.  We should be kinder to ourselves, and allow ourselves a little joy, just for the sake of it!  If we don't give ourselves permission for this, why should we expect anybody else to?  Your little girl is a perfect "excuse" for you to get busy with this all-encompassing hobby/passion/obsession.  When you feel more comfortable with your place in this amazing miniature world, you can do it all for both of you - or just you, depending on whether your little girl shares your interest, or not!  (My daughter wasn't as enamoured as I am, of all things small ... but my granddaughter is!!)

• Like 2