5/27/07 Rudest Comment about Your Minis

My brother (oldest) read the artical about me and they misquoted what I made (Think it said between $195 - $1500) for my houses. His comment to my mom was "If only she really made that much". Well, my mother told him "she makes more than that on some of the houses, that $1500 should have been higher". His mouth fell open and that time nothing came out of his mouth :wave: :lol: . She laughed when she related the story to me. Why do people think that a "dollhouse" hobby is worth nothing? He "plays" with "toy" race cars and "toy" airplanes and spends lots of money on his hobby.

Why do he think mine is "cheap"? :wave:

What is the most rude comment you have received about your miniatures/hobby/works of Art?

• Like 2

I don't know if it's rude or not (but it gets on my nerves) when my daughters and I try to share some information with my husband...interesting facts, trivia because we read a lot he says "Great make a million dollars off it!"

And he says it with a Napoleon Dynamite voice. He says there is no point in doing something if it doesn't teach my children how to be monetarily independent. (Because his Xbox is educational) Oh I love him but what a man mentality!

At christmas a cousin asked about my houses. My sister in law commented that should anything ever happen to me that she would just bring one of those rolling dumpsters to the house and just toss all that crap because it's just too much to sort through. I said it was a good thing she was not in my will. LOL!!!

• Like 9

I think I was most offended when DownEast magazine interviewed about my remodels and a local toy auctioneer stated in the article that "When something's been monkeyed with or refurbished more recently, they tend to frown on that a bit." He's talking about his collectors at his auctions which are a totally different hobbiest than us who love to work with these wonderful little creations. :wave:

What is the most rude comment you have received about your miniatures/hobby/works of Art?

We recently moved from TN to NC and my husband had told my daughter that I'd never get finished packing in time with all the crap I had.

Now he really is proud of my miniature creations as are my kids. However they have no idea how much stuff it takes to make all these tiny things.

:wave: He just kept griping the entire day about all this crap until tired and exhausted from 2 months of packing every free minute that I had( well working full time and overtime) I just turned and blew up. I think my poor SIL who has always seen me as meek and mild was in shock. He kept saying, you did a great job of packing, and you're doing a great job of unloading. You're working hard. :wave: My wonderful, charming, good looking Green Beret SIL. haha. He made the day

easier for sure. He worked so hard and never complained one time. My daughter said, you DO have a lot of stuff mom. She's in no way crafty, she's the intellectual, engineer type, my son would totally understand lol. SIL though worked his butt off. My husband was just so overwhelmed with stress and his back bothering him he carried mostly his own things and then just griped the rest of the time. When I blew up I told him just go back to Alicia's house and get out of my hair because he was more hindrance than help.

:lol: It takes a LOT to get me to that point. When I blow, I blow though. Like a bomb. Just like my Dad. Even tempered almost all the time, unless you pushed him too far.

Kathy

I guess I'm fortunate that nobody has ever made rude comments about my hobby. In fact, some of my family and friends want me to make the

them a mini or two. Some of them even bring me stuff they think I can use. I really like that!

• Like 1

The only time I recall a comment that could have been construed as rude was when a waitress asked me why I was saving "table trash" and I told her I was going to make a dh bathroom with it and she sort of sneered, "You're kidding, right? It's for your grandkids?"

Of course the look on her face when I told her precisely how the items would look made up and what adult collectors pay for finished houses more than made up for brief irritation I felt at her snotty look & tone.

• Like 3

Though some people have raised an eyebrow and thought I was crazy for playing with my houses, no one has been rude. The main thing I get asked is where am I going to put them all. Even my older sister has come to realize that it is a hobby that I enjoy and so she has accepted it. The last time she was here she even had very nice things to say about my WO.

Last week at the Dr.'s office when I asked for thetubing from my breathing treatment, the nurse was real kind and went and found me a bag to bring it home in.

• Like 2

The rudest comment I've had was from a woman who sells miniatures in her store. I went in quite often and spent quite a lot. I was asking her if she could order me a small saw because I usually change the stair openings. She said why do you do that, and I said because I didn't want it to look like people would be knocked unconscious going up or fall off the edge of the house going down. She just looked at me and said "you really need to get a life." This woman sells dollhouses and miniatures. I've moved since then so don't have to deal with her anymore.

• Like 3

I've never had a rude comment about my minis, but I've had a big rude LAUGH!

I had finally finished doing my first wiring job and had three light fixtures installed. My dad and stepmother came to visit and I wanted to show off my beautiful new lights so I made this big deal of waiting until nightime and turning off all the room lights. Then I turned on my dollhouse lights and my stepmother did one of those big snorting laughs, you know the kind that explode!

She felt bad about it later and has since given me something for my dollhouse on every birthday and Christmas!

• Like 2

I have been so excited about my new hobby! I have been talking to a lot of people about it and most people have been very supportive. Here in Utah there is not a big market I can’t find a store that sells minis or anything! I don’t know if it is different in other states.

Anyway, I was surprised that my parents, specifically my mother was so against me doing this. Weird! Obviously I just let it roll off my back and remember that every one is a critic. I have also had people tell me “You have too much time on your hands” or “You need to get a life” about many of my different pursuits. One thing I have found in my life is no matter what I am doing someone will always talk about how I am not doing it right, it is not worthwhile, etc.

When you love something, who cares what anyone else says!

Jewels

• Like 3

I don't recall any rude comments other than blank looks or raised eyebrows when I tell people that I build doll houses and make miniatures. :yay:

But I do recall a comment made by my father-in-law. I had taken my mother-in-law down to look at the progress of my Beacon Hill. She knew I was building it. My husband who is supportive of my hobby brought in his dad. He looked at my husband and said "Son, that looks neat! Are you building that for the girls? They will really enjoy it." My husband said "I haven't even touched it. Lynn is building it." FIL looking at DH: "Is it electrified?" DH "Yes." FIL looking at DH: "How did you do that?" DH: "I didn't! Lynn did! She did everything herself. It's her house". FIL finally looking at me eyes huge: "You did it all? You? You did it by yourself? Matt didn't help?" DH and I just looked at him and shook our heads and said that I did it alone! FIL was definately impressed. Now everytime they come over, they both go into the livingroom to see what else I have made and my FIL examines all the small details and says WOW! :wave:

When my mom came over to visit (she does not come over very often as she lives in Florida during the winter and across the state in the summer) she did not understand my dollhouse hobby "obsession". I showed her what I had made and am in the middle of making. She made a comment when she called me after she was back home of how she did not realize how "talented" I was and what a good job I have done on the my houses. She was impressed! :thumb:

• Like 4

I've never heard a rude comment yet. In fact there are quite a few older men that are big fans of my custom built house and that has been a real source of satisfaction to me, as I feel they are the least likely group to be interested.

You see, the house was so big and we hadn't the right tools at home so I ended up building it at my father's house in his garage/ woodworking shop right next to the TABLESAW!! And as the work progressed his retired friends would come over to visit and end up "inspecting the construction". :thumb: Even a licensed electrician took an interest in the working lights.

I think if you show passion and dedication to projects of any sort people generally respond positively and if they don't they are probably more comfortable in front of the TV and have never tried their hand at creativity. Poor Them and Lucky Us

• Like 1

Here in Utah there is not a big market I can’t find a store that sells minis or anything! I don’t know if it is different in other states.

Hi JewelsRus, it must be a western thing... There doesn't seem to be much in NM either... I figure out how to make it, or order online.

Haven't gotten any rude comments-- everybody seems surprised, or likes what I'm doing. Hubby pooh-poohed it at first, and swore that I would never finish the Lily and it would sit around the house in pieces for the next decade or so. Well half-a-year passed and I did finish it. Now, whenever he wants to watch his TV programs undisturbed, he says "Don't you have some dollhouse stuff you need to work on?!"

• Like 1

Hi JewelsRus, it must be a western thing... There doesn't seem to be much in NM either... I figure out how to make it, or order online.

I guess it just gives us a chance to make use of our imagination! But I still wish there were some here.

The rudest comment came from my kid.

I had the Marquam Hill Mansion in the diningroom during most of its construction. I decided I wanted to move it into the livingroom so that I could work on it in air conditioning and watch tv at the same time.

After it was put in the room..The words out of Chelsea`s mouth cut thru the room " Oh great! Now I have to look at that thing everytime i am in here!"

BRAT!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest roundwood

I have never really had any impolite comments about my miniatures..

Usually if someone doesn't approve, they don't say much.

I've posted before that my sister thinks that the time I spend on my miniatures is wasted time. She's coming up this weekend. She stays in a hotel as she also doesn't like my cats.

I can hardly wait to show her how I spent this evening gluing flower petals onto the roof of a mini treehouse that I've decided to turn into a fairy cottage. I've also stripped down a little trunk that an ebay seller included as a thank you gift with an order. I'm going to re-finish it with toile and glitter and turn it onto a treasure chest.

-Susanne

The rudest comment I had was from a man who said to me: "You make these dolls?" I said yes. He said "Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Why do you play with dolls?" I said, "Because I like them better than rude people like you." He walked away......LOL

Wolfie

"What an strange thing for a ADULT to do, expecially since you don't have any daughters" about two years ago and this is from a woman who now make "reborn" dolls! I saw her on TV and thought (insert ill tempered thought here).

I made a dollhouse for my niece a for her birthday, it was the last present to be given to her and she really liked it. My son was only just over a year at the time and it was alot of work to get done. I put alot of love into that house.

Anyway my sister in laws mother, who is always saying something said to her daughter who was sitting right beside me at the time. Why dont you make a dollhouse for your niece i mean it does not take a rocket Scientist. I know she was not trying to be rude or hurt my feeling. She just had no idea how much time and work i put into the house.

jenn

Wolfie, where have you been - I hope you are okay.

I havent had rude comments, but DH's cousin said I need counseling (i.e., therapy). I also get a lot of polite "that's nice" when I tell people about my new hobby. .

I think most people who havent been exposed to adullt dhs dont understand what they are. In my experience, when someone sees mine as a dh for the first time, they are amazed at how real they look and how much detail there is. There is a big difference between the klunky child's play dh and what we all do.

Someone said that the secret to a good life is to love, work and play. So, I am playing!

I've had some of those ... oh. nice. ... reactions to my minis. I take great glee in mentioning that in less than a year after starting, I've managed to win about $750 worth of prizes for my work. It's fun to watch the facial expressions change ... :lol:

Haven't gotten any rude comments-- everybody seems surprised, or likes what I'm doing. Hubby pooh-poohed it at first, and swore that I would never finish the Lily and it would sit around the house in pieces for the next decade or so. Well half-a-year passed and I did finish it. Now, whenever he wants to watch his TV programs undisturbed, he says "Don't you have some dollhouse stuff you need to work on?!"

Wow! I hear the same words from my husband pretty much every night. He loves to monopolize the TV. He's a chef, and when he comes home at night, he just wants to get off his feet and watch TV. His TV viewing habits, though, consist of slasher, action and Mafia movies. Not exactly my taste in movies. I usually retire to the workroom to work on my house or furniture. However, he's now decided he can watch what he wants on TV and I can use that time to work on my house. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but this is going to have to be nipped in the bud soon!!