A Circle of Mini Joy

CatColorado

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think making the work primarily original is the fun of the swaps. Most mass produced minis are starting to look alike to me. I like the challenge of coming up with new ideas, and I love seeing what others have created from their own imaginations!

I had some different thoughts about themes. We could do objects with a twist, like say the theme was "bed"... well, you could make a bed you sleep in, a flower bed, a bed of nails, etc. Table could be anything from an end table to a picnic table. Another thought was basing the theme around children's stories like 'One Monster After Another' or 'Sleeping Beauty'. The item would be inspired by the book, either the story or the artwork.

Of those people who have indicated an interest in this, when would be a good time? I'd like to avoid the months of October and December, but if those are the best months for the majority then we can do it then.

Of those people who have indicated an interest in this, when would be a good time? I'd like to avoid the months of October and December, but if those are the best months for the majority then we can do it then.

Anytime works for me! December gets really busy with work, etc., but with only one item to make, it shouldn't be too big of a problem!

What about November? It's kind of the lull between October and December?

I probably wouldn't do it the first time around... Unless someone posted photos of items you would expect to see in a circle swap. I'm still getting my feet wet in this hobby...

I think anytime but December, with xmas and all thats a pretty busy month for everyone, and most people would not want one more thing to have to worry about mailing or making to mail out. :congrats::cheer:

Count me out with the Sept-Oct. time frame. Kids, birthdays, school, halloween.

What about the end of summer? August.

I want to try this but I dont think my skills will be any good. I am gonna have to psych myself up for it.

Alright, all of you who think your skills aren't up to snuff, think of it this way instead... this is the first time we are doing this so the only standards you will have to live up to are your own! The people who come after will just have to live up to you, so be brave and help set an example. The rule I like to use for myself is whether I would display what I have made in my own mini mansion/s. If you put the same time and consideration as you would for your own miniatures, then that is all anyone can ask.

I am leaning towards August for this, mainly because I will be crazy busy with both work and home from September thru December unless I get fired and then I will have other considerations to worry about.

How does the first week of July sound for sign ups? That's right, sign up will only be open for a week, people will have until the end of July to drop out, and items must be shipped by the last week of August. If this sounds okay, let me know. Also, if you want me to notify you when the sign up opens, I can do that.

I'm leaning towards using the children's story idea, gives alot of latitude without being completely all over the place. I'll go through my books and make a list, I'll try to stick with classics or ones that you could find at the library. Oh yeah, there is that online childrens library that has the stories and pictures, so I can post links for that too.

I think this is something I would like to do. I think things will have started to calm down by than...at least long enough to make 1 item for some wonderful member of this forum!

nutti :wave:

Yeah, I guess I will do it (i sound so enthus`ed..dont I? ROFL)

So if we did that theme..what are we thinking of making? I am not looking to steal any ideas, just some guidance.

Since we have to make it ourselves..I am wondering like What price should the piece be appraised at? Like in regular swaps it is $5.

Yeah, I guess I will do it (i sound so enthus`ed..dont I? ROFL)

So if we did that theme..what are we thinking of making? I am not looking to steal any ideas, just some guidance.

Since we have to make it ourselves..I am wondering like What price should the piece be appraised at? Like in regular swaps it is $5.

Let me get back to you on the $$$ question, it's so hard for me to put a dollar value on things. Like, you can get something really cheap that was made in china, but if you were to buy a similar item that was made in America, it would cost much much more. Or better yet, why don't we just open up the floor on this one?

Should we keep the $ amount at $5 or raise it to $10? Or even do a range $5 to $10? Or eliminate the $ amount all together for the Circle only?

If we did Alice as the theme (and it will be one of the 3 choices for the poll), personally I would think about making a character doll, stuffed animals based on the characters, an Alice picture book, furniture based on the White Rabbit's House, furniture with Alice themed decals, or themed accessories like rugs, artwork, Plants!, clothes. Anyone else want to jump in here?

I can do that time frame. I plan to sign up the first week of july. If the signup is the week starting Sunday July 8th, Cat could you sing me up as I will be out of town. I will probally have internet access at the hotel depending on their charges for it and would not want to miss out on signing up.

Melissa