10/22/05 What scale

Minis On The Edge

What scale do you work in most often?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What scale do you work in most often?

• 1" Scale
    • 1/2" Scale
    • 1/4" Scale
    • 144" Scale

• 3 weeks later...

I like the 1:12 scale, but have the 1/2 inch Fairfield and an RGT farmhouse junior, and a Country Manor puzzle house too. I would love the BH to be 1/2 inch. That would be sooo cool. It's my favorite house. I have not seen a pic of the Victorianna, so don't know if I like it. 1/2 inch scale does not scare me off, by all means anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say that the 1-inch scale is my favorite. I like to be able to make things more realistic, to be able to actually read a magazine cover on the couch, etc. When it gets smaller those details are lost. However -- I do plan to dabble in the 1:144 scale. The idea of a dollhouse inside a dollhouse intrigues me! Let's see -- a dollhouse inside a dollhouse inside a dollhouse -- is that about 1:20,736 :w00t: About 25 years ago I had a bookcase dollhouse, which had to be dismantled when we moved away, and I have made a 1:144 frame/shell replica of that to put in my next dollhouse. I've been collecting the tiny furniture to put in it but haven't done much with it yet.

I've also worked with the HO train scale, but don't find that so rewarding. I guess I'm just a detail person and I like the 1:12 best for that reason.

• 2 weeks later...

1" scale for me as well.. The houses are big and I LOVE it.. Need to make room for them but I like that scale. I have never tried anything else other than the Greenleaf villages... and they just dont seem to do it for me.

Kellee

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Being new to miniatures, I had only worked with 1" scale dollhouses.....fell in love with Durham Copper miniature pieces and then knew I had to get 1/2" scale dollhouse. I choose the Fairfield and love this dollhouse. I am working more with tweezers than before but it is worth it.

I have worked in everything from about 1/144th through playhouse scale. I have sold my work in all those scales and worked in them since I was a little girl. I make dolls and teddy bears to play in each scale as well. And I have taught all over the board. I guess you could say I've always been obsessed with crafting. It seems to me that in discussing our favorite scale it is like trying to discuss our favorite child.

Playhouse- To this day I use playhouse furniture in my RL house to display other collections. Children who visit my home love to play with things that have been in my family for generations.

Barbie scale- I worked for a company where I built amazing scratch built 2" scale houses. They are fabulous for all kinds of tiny RL collectibles.

1"- When I want a realistic build or something easy, it's 1", hands down.

1/2"- The smaller it gets, the more magical I find it. 1/2" is easier to find things already made for.

1/4"- My favorite scale when I want to make it myself. Either from scratch or kits. I love just about everything 1/4".

So........they are all different and I love them all and I move around in scale depending on........ So...... Is there really just one favorite scale?

• 2 weeks later...

I love working in 1/12 but that's because I've only did one house (McKinley) in that scale. Then I saw the Fairfield. And of course bought it because of me liking it so much. So now I'm trying 1:24 scale. Wish me luck since my extra furniture is in 1/12...

i'd love to branch out into 1/2 scale as my RL house is small :p but there isnt much out there that i like/in my price range...but i'm still hopeful of one day owning a Fairfield :yes:...its so cute and reasonably priced, just the shipping makes it unobtainable

you can order it off barnesand noble online. Really good shipping I think it's free? If not its really reasonable. Hope this helps.

Sarah, Linda lives in England and shipping out of the US is ridiculous!

Actually, Linda's in Australia, but the shipping isn't any better there!

I'd go with a smaller 1:12th scale house in preference to a many roomed 1:24th or smaller scale because I like to see detail which gets less and less the further down the scales you go.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried both. Greenleaf makes the Van Buren In only half scale now- so I am working on that now. Both have their pros and cons. The biggest issue I have with Half scale is the lack of specific items I wanted in the Van Buren.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, Linda's in Australia, but the shipping isn't any better there!

Oh! I'm sorry I didn't know that! But I've always wanted to see Australia, but the shots always tell me animal planet and the other nature channels are ok too! :)

Im going to work on a 1/144 scale.. For the little girl in my McKinley.... And I might not put any furnishing in it, it's very speedy for such small things. So is this wrong? To do this?

The 1/144 is the right scale for a dollhouse in a 1/12 dollhouse, though the little girl might be sad if you don't add furniture :lol: . Are you making a one from a kit or scratch building your own?

I don't think the little girl in the McKinley cares if we can see her dh's furnishings or not; my little dh girls play with solid resin houses in N-scale.

Hold your horses Lady, you mean to say you have dollhouse with furniture to play with, but you make your mini people have non opening ones? For shame :giggle:

I have a couple N scales around too, some of them are very cute! I can certainly understand not wanting to make 144 furniture or trying to buy it. The first will make you half blind and fully crazy, the second option is pretty scarce too.