A nightmare OOPS!

stantilda

Have any of you had to almost completely dismantle a dollhouse because you made a mistake on steo one? I was putting my Victoria's farmhouse together and it was just not coming out right. It was just a bit off. It wasn't until I was putting on the second floor that I realized my mistake. I had the first wall of the first floor on wrong. I spent the next twelve hours carefully prying it apart. I had used "plenty of glue" as the directions indicated, so it wasn't easy. It was a miracle that I got it apart.

In my defense, the pictures in the directions are not the clearest; however, I should have stopped ASAP when I thought something seemed off. Now I get to start all over again. :w00t:

That is why so many builders use a 'dry fit'. You assemble the house using tape and no glue to look for errors or to see if you want to change the location of any walls or extend a room. Hope it all comes out good for you and no serious damage was done. Do you have an album for it yet? Colors or furniture? We'd love to hear.

Yes, "dry fitting" is always a good thing. Blue carpenter's tape has become my best friend... :w00t:

I'm glad you got it apart. I'd probably do the dry fit now, just to be sure I know where everything goes..

That is why so many builders use a 'dry fit'. You assemble the house using tape and no glue to look for errors or to see if you want to change the location of any walls or extend a room. Hope it all comes out good for you and no serious damage was done. Do you have an album for it yet? Colors or furniture? We'd love to hear.

Thanks now I know what dry fit means! I keep seeing it all over the forum but, didn't want to ask!

Thanks now I know what dry fit means! I keep seeing it all over the forum but, didn't want to ask!

Never be afraid to ask questions. We are all here to help eachother!

Glad you were able to get it apart successfully. That must have been crazy!

Some of "ooopsies" like that sort of encourages the best kind of "kit bashing" LOL Glad you got your ooops straightened out though!

Hugs

Yep...I've made a big ol' oopsie myself on the Orchid....I thought everything was going really well, the dry fit seemed perfect so I glued...went back to it and Eric said, hey Jen, I didn't know this house had a basement......I'd mixed up the first and second floors so the hole for the stairs was on the first floor. *Sigh* boy did I feel silly...and I'm still trying to figure out how to dismantle without destruction!

I'm glad you got yours apart and that it's going much better now!

Have any of you had to almost completely dismantle a dollhouse because you made a mistake on step one?

Not exaaaactly... but I managed to set the bathroom wall in my Orchid off-square more than once... and there's the half-scale RGT house that I completely disassembled because the colors I'd pre-painted the interior turned out to look horrible, and I had to take it apart to get in the corners.

As you'll see in the Orchid team blog, I have also entirely ripped apart houses just because I changed my mind late in the game. (I need to update that, come to think of it.)

Have any of you had to almost completely dismantle a dollhouse because you made a mistake on steo one?
Dismantle? Yes. Mistake in Step 1? No, beause I usually don't follow the instructions in order!lol

Even reading through the instructions three times before beginning the build and doing all the dry-fit, guess what? I still make "oopsies" and some of them are more like OMG! As Anna says, you get to where you think of these things as opportunities to bash.

I got the roof on wrong on my Glencroff, figured that the parts were warped or something and cut to fit with a saw. When my DH saw it, he told me the roof was on wrong. So, I had to unglue it, reglue it properly and then fix the areas I cut with patches! But in the end, it turned out fine. Nothing cant be fixed (well, almost nothing).

Have any of you had to almost completely dismantle a dollhouse because you made a mistake on steo one? I was putting my Victoria's farmhouse together and it was just not coming out right. It was just a bit off. It wasn't until I was putting on the second floor that I realized my mistake. I had the first wall of the first floor on wrong. I spent the next twelve hours carefully prying it apart. I had used "plenty of glue" as the directions indicated, so it wasn't easy. It was a miracle that I got it apart.

In my defense, the pictures in the directions are not the clearest; however, I should have stopped ASAP when I thought something seemed off. Now I get to start all over again. :banana:

Man what bummer. I hope this does not happen to me . I have only built one house and then made a copy of the same house out of cardboard.But I don't have it anymore the card board one didn't hold up in storage.But my boyfriends got my an Orchid doll house for my birthday last month.I'm glad you were able to salvage your house. Good luck it still be worth it in the end. :banana:

I'm happy that you were able to fix your oopsie. I dismantled half of the Harrison I'm working on (I got it already built in sad shape). I lost most of the trim and trying to take the roof off was a nightmare, I just was very thankful for wood putty and spackle. :banana: