6/3/07 Healthy Life Style

A Lot of us here have been talking about becoming more healthy this year. So far, I have lost a total of 11 pounds this year (I started Dancing again, not very good :banana: but I have fun ith it :banana: ). I have also been doing some personal improvement CDs (Anthony Robbins is my Fav along with Robert T. Kiyosak ).

We are at our six month mark and started wondering about how my friends here are doing. What have You done to make your life more healthy this year so far? This is for physical or mental health.

I have been thinking about health lately. Last night I attended my grandmothers 95th birthday party. I am so proud of her. She is still healthy. Her husband died over 30 years ago. I never knew him. But at the age of 95 she still quilts, gardens, keeps her house clean, and gets around better than a lot of 60 year olds. She is starting to get frustrated because her eye sight is going and she has a hard time reading. I hope I can be like her when I "grow up." We are constanly growing and changing. It is important to keep a healthy attitude about life as well as keeping our bodies and minds healthy.

I have had this cold/flu :banana: thing going on all month and have used it as an excuse to not excercise but I am going to start again working on my goal of becoming an aerobics instructor. This is how I want to keep my body healthy as well as my mind. It is going to take a lot of work, since I had Jackson 17 months ago, my body just dosnt have the same streghnth and stamina it used to. But I think I can do it. :banana:

I have lost some weight, but since I don't have a scale, I don't know how much. I just stopped buying all the junk food. A spoonful of peanutbutter is better than a fistful of oreos. I cut way back on take out food and have been doing bbq. Just small changes in habits. Diets don't work for me because sooner or later you go off of it and all the weight will come back as you fall back in old eating habits. Plus I don't kneel to do yard work, I bend over and stand up. Like toe touches. And I have started back on weight training and dancing too.

I feel strange posting to this, but in case anyone doesnt know what we do for "fun" (when I'm not playing with minis), we have two tandem bicycles (Cannondale for dirt & Santana for pavement), two single Cannondales (pavement & dirt) and a Cattrike (I cannot ride a single two-wheeler by myself, due to balance issues: my tricycle has two wheels in front & one in back and is a 27-speed road machine) and we attend tandem bicycle rallies in the SE.

When it's too cold to ride we hike (we went on a short 4-mile hike yesterday to help our chapter of the FL Trail Association celebrate National Trails Day), and when it's too hot to ride or hike we paddle (we have a red tandem kayak fr lakes, rivers & creeks and we each have a sea kayak for open water paddling).

We have a little RV camper that we take along to live in when we travel and we travel about 200-250 miles, stop & camp and bike, hike, paddle or tour whatever's there, visit anyone we know who may live in the area, and then do the same thing after we get to the next place.

We are both on a diet our doctor put us on that is exremely low in fat and carbs and very high in veggies that contain lots of water and lean meat cooked without fats or oils (we cheat on the carbs because of our activity level, so I don't lose weight, BUT I don't gain it, either!).

I've lost 8 pounds and hope to lose more. I started an exercise routine. I do water aerobics once a week, pilates once a week, but will be twice a week now that they are offering another morning class and try to walk most other days. I am also trying to cut down on my fattening foods and eat more vegetables and fruit and low fat dairy.

I've lost some where around 30 to 40 pounds....and I'm not happy with myself...it should have been more....I walk when time permits....since that is the only exercise I can do.....I don't buy junk food....and if I do it is for my mom or my neices....I'm on a diabetic diet and drink 8+glasses of water a day....I eat fruits, veggie, and broil, grill or bake my food......I use very little oil.....

• 3 weeks later...

I found this thread and thought it was inspiring. I have done almost nothing to be healthier this year. I smoke (I quit and then started again, I am so ashamed). I always eat healthy food low in fats, very little meat, no butter, etc. but LOVE sweets. I have cut way down on icecream and store bought cake/cookies but Pete (DH) is always bringing home bakery goods (oh dear). Since the weather is nice, I am outside in my garden and doing home improvement projects. I need to lose about 25 pounds but obviously, have not made a commitment (yet). Bravo to all of you who have done good things so far this year. I am going on a cruise to Bermuda in October and it would be nice to be slim again.

Alyce, think about joining in on this thread. Even though June is almost over with July should be starting up soon. I'm not trying to lose weight at this point, just maintain where I've been the past six years (when I shed nearly 20 pounds), but I'm a retired public health RN and I pop in from time to time to offer suggestions.

I've lost 46 lbs since the first of the year and have 24 more to go to my ideal weight. A semi-early menopause and a Chef husband have not encouraged a healthy weight, but now that menopause is over, I am getting back in shape.

I simply cut calories and cut out the unhealthy snack foods. I buy the Healthy Choice, Smart Start, and Lean Cuisine meals for lunch and dinner, and have either Special K or rice cakes for breakfast. I even allow myself a snack at night of seedless grapes or popcorn (low fat).

It's been slow but steady. Some weeks there is no loss, but I just keep going, because I know it WILL come off, it just takes time.

you are right Sally, if will come off.....I've went maybe 2 months and not loose any....but when I started losing again....seems it just falls off.....I'm happy to say I've lost over 200 pounds in 3 1/2 years......but I still have more to go....

Ive lost about 30 pounds this year. Im really watching my diet closely. Im making better choices in what I eat which is something that I wasnt really concerned about before. Im not on an excercise program or anything but my minis really have me moving around a lot which I also wasnt doing much of before. Its really amazing how many times I have to walk back and forth, lift, reach, bend, go up and down the stairs for supplies, all during construction. Sometimes my muscles feel like Ive been working out all day. I think that has helped also.

I have a tendency to yo-yo depending on whether I have a bridesmaid dress to fit in or not that year. I have one this year in October. So far I've lost 10 pounds for it and have another 15 or so to go for that event... then I'd still like to lose another 15 to put me on the high end of my healthy weight range in time for a 20 year high school reunion in 2008. So hopefully, with TWO goals, I might eat healthy long enough to make this a lifestyle change and not a yo-yo thing.

This year the most helpful things have been moving to a home with a lake - walking the four miles of hilly road around the lake is a perfect circuit. I've also enjoyed posting on the weight-loss thread here since I don't have much of a support structure in real life... sad to say but the reality is friends and family don't really seem to care too much about healthy lifestyles for their friends and family. :)

And I've also found recording what I eat on Sparkspeople.com has been essential to keeping me out of the cupboard... and refrigerator... and vending machine... and drive-thru window... and snack aisle at Sheetz.... and, well, you get the picture.

I'm not much of a meat person, so I don't eat alot of meat. But I LOVE sweets. I've cut down on them though...I don't need a diet, I'm already pretty skinny because my metabolism is so high, but I'm starting to get a pooch in my belly...

I love health food, fortunately. Plain yogurt is delicious...Vegetables are awesome...I used to drink a 24 pack of Mt Dew in about a week....I've cut way down on my soda though. I've had the same 24 pack for a month now...I'm so proud of myself :) I'm a very active person, otherwise..I love to ride my bike, I walk everywhere because I live in such a small town, I like to skateboard, and when I get the chance I like to go rock climbing and swimming. I have also started yoga lately...I got this little book at Borders for it. It's really nice to be able to get up in the morning and stretch out all the muscles that tightened up while I was sleeping. I move around very little when I sleep so I wake up with 10,000 Years of Pain.

I also work at a fast food restaurant in Stillwater that makes about 2 million dollars a year so we're VERY busy all the time...and I work very hard...I'm like my dad in that respect...why do a job if you don't do it well?

So overall I'm just a natural health nut, I guess. I don't obsess about it though, hence the pooch...but I'm trying to get rid of that now...I don't want like a book-flat tummy...someday I'm going to have babies and it's not going to be pretty if there's not a little bit of room to grow!

I'm already pretty skinny because my metabolism is so high...I don't want like a book-flat tummy...someday I'm going to have babies and it's not going to be pretty if there's not a little bit of room to grow!
Dear, dear Katie, I promise you that when the babies start to come, and the years, that will all change.

I quit smoking after a 35 year habit :D:unsure::wave: and am back on my diet after having lost 30 lbs last year and hope to lose the other 30 this year. Still miss smoking tho :huh: Determined not to start up again.

• 1 month later...
I quit smoking after a 35 year habit :p ;) :Jumpy: and am back on my diet after having lost 30 lbs last year and hope to lose the other 30 this year. Still miss smoking tho :huh: Determined not to start up again.

Missin' smokin' aint gonna stop, ever. I'd still love to light one up and take a big haul. And it's been 3 years. Hang in there.