6/4/07 Crafts

I used to weave, but can't do it anymore...I have some cloth I've woven, but I have to see if it is the "right scale" for minis. I think I have some samplers that I could use as rugs. I also did needlepoint and crewel (from kits), but haven't done much with it lately.

Quilting is one of my favorites but I don't have any pictures. For mother's day I made my mother and mother-in-law each a bowling ball yard ornament. I also did one for my sister-in-laws birthday. They were very well recieved and I still have a few balls left in case I want to do a few more.

I enjoy cross stitching, crocheting and embroidery work, but am trying to figure out how to downsize it to 1:12 scale for my minis. I have several projects in mind but just haven't started them yet. I want to do a mini braided rug, crochet a plant hanger and a coverlet for the bed. I'd love to do a cross stitch project also, but know I'll need heavy magnification for that project. When I get the grand projects underway, I'll be sure to share them. I've got good ideas just not enough time or money in which to do them.

Painting, drawing, sculpting, needlework (is macrame a needlework?), woodworking, decoupage, collage, other papercrafts, mixing media, beading (LONG AGO)... That's all I can think of now, that I've done in mini. Pictures in my galleries and/ or blogs.

For me it's rug hooking, needle work, embroidery and cross-stitch. I'd love to try my hand at doing some mini needle work. I also love to draw and do scrapbooking.

Here's a couple of needlework pictures that I had framed.

-Susanne

It's wonderful to actually See your creations!! I have been buying little odds and ends for summer craft fun here at my house during the summer break. There are so many wonderful craft things to do. Do any of you get to share your love of other crafts with other family members? My girls Love minis but they Love the other craft projects too. It blows my mind how they can be so creative sometimes.

Other crafts and hobbies? Well, I paint ceramics and crochet and garden and sew and do hook rugs and read and do puzzles and help DH make lamps and raise fish and do holiday craft things for decorating the house and woodworking (make furniture) and gossip (that's a hobby isn't it - or is it a sport?)lol and drive DH crazy - no wait-that's a career um model trains and that's enough for now.

When DS#2 was a little fellow he saw Rosie Greer showing off some of his needlepoint work and so I got to teach him how to do it. Just one picture, but I treasured it for years. Of course it got lost in one of our many moves!

Did you want a breakdown of each & every craft? Egads.

Painting (oils, watercolors, tempera, pastels, colored pencils)just dolls' faces & highlights

Drawing (pencil, ink, charcoal)ditto

Sculpting (clay, paper mache, soft sculpture)dolls, pargets &"stonework"

Needlework (embroidery: crewel, needlepoint, crossstitch, stumpwork; knitting, crocheting, tatting, quilting, patchwork & applique. candlewicking, trapunto, macrame, sewing)crocheted bedspreads, tablecloths, doilies & antimacassers,rugs, curtains, bath linens & doll clothing; knitted a set of longjohns and an occasional little sweater;sewed clothing & curtains; mini quilts; petitpoint rugs; "braid" rugs

Woodworking (dollhouses & basic woodturning, some staining & finishing & painting, still very much a newb here)dh bashing, furniture

Papercraft (decoupage, collage, scrapbooking, stenciling, quilling, schirrenschnitter [i can't spell], silhouettes, paperlace, 3-dimensional paper sculpture, paperdolls)accessories, templates & patterns

The only other hobby/craft that I have is painting ceramics. I have found that from me painting it has become very helpful with my dh's. I used techniques on the stonework of the Harrison that I use on my ceramics and it turned out beautiful, the pics that I have you can't really tell. I did post a pic of a ceramic cat that I painted under the Rainbow Bridge section because Sniffer liked it so much he used to sleep with it. :ohyeah:

I've always enjoyed sewing. I used to make all my own curtains in my real house, still make a few. Sewed a bit of clothing years ago especially when the girls were young. Made dresses for weddings and fancy dresses for my girls proms.

I sewed most of the curtains and bedding in my Garfield (pics in gallery) and plan to make more for the BH.

I've also dabbled in counted cross stich. Eventually I would like to make some things for my dh's

So many ideas and so little time!

Well I must say there is a lot of talent out there! Since this is my first mini I haven’t incorporated a lot of things into my minis yet, but I plan to.

Some of the things I really like are pencil drawing, painting, counted cross stitch, embroidery, scrapbooking, and beading.

Other things I enjoy that don’t really apply to minis are singing, dancing, playing piano and guitar, reading, writing, and spending time with my son, husband, and our pets.

I collect dolls, mostly vinyl 18 inch. I have about 40 Heidi Ott faithful friends dolls. Target had them about ten years ago. I think they have the prettiest faces on a play-type doll. I have lots of pics of them and my Zaph baby dolls. I also have about 140 Barbies. I crochet baby afghans for the baby dolls and would like to crochet for the dollhouses but haven't got the hang of it yet for the tiny hooks you need to use. I saw some crocheted afghans in the gallery and they were really pretty. I used to sew all the time when my kids were little. I made a lot of their clothes. I have made some dollhouse fitted sheet sets that come out really nice.

I have never been what you call crafty but I do like some sewing

I have made all 3 of my kids clothing and costumes and made most of Catriona's twirling costumes

I like to embroder and paint ceramics.

I have dabbled in macrame...I used to have one small rubbermaid container with supplies

we wont talk about what I have now! :wave::wave:

nutti :congrats:

I have dabbled in macrame...

I tried macrame a few times. It looked like something the cat hacked up. <cackle> I'm just not good at making knots.

My other "thing" is textile arts. It could be classified as art quilts, but there's more than quilting to it. I'm a textile manipulator. I embroider with every fiber imaginable and hand dye my own silk ribbons. I love beads and use them very, very liberally in my textile arts. There are several pieces that contain tens of thousands of beads each. But I don't just embroider and bead. If I can sew it onto a piece of fabric, I'll use it! There's one piece that has a padlock and chain incorporated into it and another that has a pair of dice. Hang on a second while I dig around and see if I can find a link to my textile site. It's been awhile since I updated it.

<pause>

I'm back. Here's the link for my textile arts if you wanna see some of them.

Deb

Deb, thank you for posting the link, it has been awhile since I visited it and I am amazed each time I go at the artistry of your quilts.

I've done knitting, crocheting and cross-stitch. I tried to take pictures of some of my cross-stitch pictures, but they don't turn out very well due to light reflections in the glass frame.

I've done knitting, crocheting and cross-stitch. I tried to take pictures of some of my cross-stitch pictures, but they don't turn out very well due to light reflections in the glass frame.

My sister-in-law also puts glass over her cross-stitch and needlework pictures. I chose not to so that my needlework pictures wouldn't be as heavy and would not glare. What I do (or rather what Ray does) is lightly vacuum my pictures with a soft brush head on the vacuum cleaner. I've also had them dry cleaned a couple of times.

I would love to see photos of your cross-stitch, Peggi.

-Susanne

These pictures don't necessarily show the true colors, but this will give you an idea. Please ignore the flash--I tried to get rid of it.

post-70-1181604026_thumb.jpgpost-70-1181603997_thumb.jpg

post-70-1181603975_thumb.jpgpost-70-1181604012_thumb.jpg

See what good work Peggi does? Peggi, if you have old white hose try putting a scrap of it over the flash to cut the glare off the glass (not real sure how you'd do that on a digicam, my 35mm SLR had a separate flash I could make diffusers for).

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow what talented ladies and gents we have among us. I do many arts and crafts, sewing, patchwork and clothes, and of course dolls clothes, I paint in oil and pastels, make dollshouse as we all do lol, make miniature items for them, wood working, mould making and casting, bead making, scrapbooking, embossing cards and anything I think can be embossed lol. I play piano,organ, guitar, and banjo ( banjo not very well) but I try lol, much to the neighbours disgust (sp) but then their son is learning drums so it is payback lol. I cant think of anything else at the moment, but I am sure I have left something out lol. No wonder I never finish anything, I always am trying to do to to much.

Deb.