6/4/07 Crafts

I grew up with a mom who did every craft under the sun, so I got exposed to everything. She did leather-working, crochetting, knitting, quilting, photography, needlepoint, jewelry making, etc. The only thing she didn't like was rubber stamping. She used to complain that the craft shows (that HGTV now longer plays) only rubber stamped. I've done leather-working, knitting, basket weaving, woodworking, painting, needlepoint, and other things. My sister does nothing crafty. She's too neurotic for taking time and doing something crafty. Ironically, her daughter is thirteen and loves anything crafty. She loves when I take her to a large craft store. She wants a good sewing machine. I'll have to keep a look out for yard sales. My brother was the real artist. I wish I had a fraction of the talent he had at drawing.

Lets see:

I do mosaics, cross stitch, knit, sew,(clothes, quilts, home accessories) DOLL HOUSES ( I can say that now that I am doing my first) ceramics, interior decorating i.e. new wood work, wall paper, electrical accessories, chair caning, upholstery.

I also love to cook. I make cheese cakes to die for, and make my own pasta (ravioli, tortellini's) One of my favorite things to do is have a dinner party for 6 to 10 people and cook a great meal. I also enjoy setting the table with my collection of antique dishes and doing fancy napkin folds.

Basically, I majored in Art in college (now am an emergency dispatcher) but am not afraid to try anything new. I have an attitude of why pay for that, I can do it! Of course, if it doesn't come out right, I keep at it, but sometimes have to admit, I can't do it!

For instance, I live in an apartment complex now after my divorce. It does not allow painting of walls or wall paper. All walls are white. Did you know that you can wall paper with material, using liquid starch, and if you decide to move, you can peel off the cloth, wash it, and take it with you and the management will never know the difference?

Anyhow, I think if I was a child now, I would probably be diagnosed as ADDS. I just have to be busy all the time. I get home from work at 12:30am and do things for about 4 -5 hours before I go to bed, get up, go to work, and do it again.

• 7 months later...

I like counted cross-stitch, some other neddlepoint (doing a rug for my glencroft), braided rug for future Grandma's House (first try), quilting, scrapbooking, can knit, learning to crochet for the dh. Love choosing colour schemes for the dh's and making everything co-ordinate, but always want someone else to say it looks ok (a bit of lack of confidence here, perhaps).

Recently trying my hand at paperclay for the dh and poly clay to make people for the houses. Not finished that yet, will have to wait and see how it turns out!

I make up stories for my dh inhabitants, so that I know what type of house each one wants. Already have a list of 5-6 families, and my glencroft is not even finished being built. Always have eyes set on another dh or two or more!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can you believe, this is the first time I've ever looked in this section?! I just assumed it was games or something. Anyway, I have tried just about every craft known, being a home ec and art teacher. I used to make all our clothes, curtains, quilts, etc. Did embroidery, knitting, crochet, macrame, cross stitch, needlepoint ( once did an entire set of dining chair seat covers). I like to refinish furniture, make rugs, do altered art, did about 5 big scrapbooks and then lost interest in that. Made jewelry for a while, some carving, lots of paintings, weaving...I guess I have tried them all at one time or another, but some just weren't that interesting.

But the fun thing about minis is being able to use all your crafting skills to make your home unique. A house full of store bought stuff is just not as interesting as one with handmade and unique items in it.

Had to laugh at Deb's "hacked up" image...but I also did one little embroidery project

many years ago. It was a small picture of some flowers that you placed in a frame when you finished. Since I was mostly self taught I was very proud....until my friend

informed me that the back of embroidery is supposed to be as neat as the front! It did

look like someone threw up thread.I did move on to simple knitting and I love crocheting.

Haven't done much lately. Also I'm a collector- BJD dolls,first edition books,fairies and

other fae folk,my twin dolls,and now I have discovered the incredible world of minis.

My time is taken up!

• 3 months later...

Scroll sawing things for the house and ornaments to hang in the windows and on the Christmas tree, pictures, etc. I also make dolls, and dollhouses, and used to knit and crochet - though I have no time for those things right now.

• 2 months later...

I garden, do a little carpentry, and sew. I don't sew like I use to but I am making a dress shop in miniature. When I'm done with it I'll post pictures in the gallary. Like my mother use to say ' I'm a jack of all trades but a master of none.' I do many other things, to many to mention but not all the time.

• 2 years later...
Guest Happy Heart

I've got good ideas just not enough time or money in which to do them.

I oh-so feel your pain, lol

As for myself, sewing, knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, beading, cross stitch, tatting, woodworking, wood carving, painting, rug making, bear making and ribbon embroidery. Don't think I've left anything out? :hmm: