10/25/05 Dollhouses

Minis On The Edge

I dont know if any of you folks have read 'Crosstich' by Diane Gabaldon - oh - its published as 'Outlander' in USA Its a really fascinating story.... starts out as a perfectly normal type romance thingy.... set in 1948.... then the heroine goes to pick wild herbs in a stone circle in Scotland, walks through a cleft in the stone and comes out the other side in 1745!!!! Then it just gets better and better, imagine living in the 18th century but still knowing what you know about the future..... Of course she meets and falls for one of the most interesting heros I've come accross in a long time. Did I mention she has a husband back in 1948... tttttt

Well this is the first book of a series of six! Real bodice rippers - sex, violence, history, geneology, medicine and a lot of very real scottishy folklore.... and they finish up in USA a few years befor the revolution.... I got the whole set of books on ebay and absolutely nothing was done until I had read the lot.... and each one was a big thick epic. I haven't had the last one yet... as it has just been published but I intend to get it VERY soon.

As for them influencing my dolls house... not so far, but i do have a vague idea of a log cabin in the american forest... with a redhaired man in a kilt... mmmmm

Now I am gonna go broke!! I just bought about 10 books by Jean Plaidy Thanks to Lisa!

I am looking at auction from the person Holly mentioned and Margaret, your books sound GREAT too! Now, what's a girl to do but look them up on ebay to buy?

They sound like great books thanks for posting them Margaret!!

Okay, I have found the book new in my book club thingy but can't really find many anywhere else. I have ordered the outlander and will get the rest when I find the names of them :D.

I read a LOT :o My son is just like me. We read a lot of books all of the time and hubby thinks we are just "collecting" them LOL. My parents both read a lot and it created the passion in me to read. about 5 years ago, I could not get enough books with indian themes . My taste changes all of the time ;) .

I'm like that too Tracy . . . I switch from one theme to another. I've recently been reading books like The Red Tent, Zipphorah, Sarah and In the Shadow of the Ark . . . all about women from the bible. I also recently read two books on Queen Victoria and one on Tsarina Alexandra. It's so interesting to see how these very different women lived their lives. Also, I didn't know that Tsarina Alexandra was Queen Victoria's granddaughter until I read the book about her (Alexandra that is)! Just goes to show the reading is educational . . . if only for trivia information! :o

Who are they Bu Teresa? I got some book (Women from the bible) It is Rahab & Abigal by Ann Burton. I have read Two FROM GALILEE & THREE FROM GALILEE by Marjorie Holmes (Very good books) and then there are the older books from Gladys Malvern Sauls daughter, Behold your queen (About ester) the foriener (about Ruth).

Yeap Love those types of stories too!

:o

I read historical fiction almost exclusively. When I pick up a contempory novel, or a current bestseller, I notice the reading pleasure is not the same. I have read Diane Galbadon's Outlander series, Colleen McCullough's First Man in Rome series, Jean Auel Earth Children series and honestly, will pick up anything that is a period piece. I have read Gone with the Wind at least five times and realize something new each time. And James Michener is my favorite author, long winded and detailed. The same with movies.....I watch anything in period.

But I can't say books or movies have influenced my minis.

Yes period novels are all good.... I particularly like those with lots of details of daily lives... the main plot might be riveting but I love all the household stuff.... and you can tell when a book is really well researched. My house too is groaning with books, and i am member of a reading group at the local library - I am always promising to take a bunch of books to the local charity shop - but so far its just talk!

Georgette Heyer is a long time favourite of mine... she gets that regency atmosphere just right - plenty of material there for a Georgian House. I have a big line of them on my shelves and when i feel a bit in need of cosseting, I just bury myself in one of her stories.

isn't it great that there are soooo many books in the world and when will be get time to read them!

Margaret

this is the barbie gift set I got last year. They are based off of Jude Deveraux the Raider
Oh, Tracy, wherever did you find them? I just showed the picture to Knox & he rolled his eyes & gave me "The Look" :o

books with indian themes

My friend Lucia has written several books about Native Americans: Ride the Wind, Walk in My Soul, Light a Distant fire & Ghost Warrior.

Tracy, "Sarah" and "Zipporah" are by Marek Halter. There will be three in this series, the third one coming out in the spring I believe. Wonderful books, I couldn't put them down!

"In the Shadow of the Ark" is by Anne Provoost. Also a wonderful book.

Tracy, I'm finished with them, so could send them to you if you like. I was just going to go to the Fruglemuse bookstore and trade them in anyway. Send me a PM if you're interested. :o

I'm going to look for the books you mentioned too. I love these stories!

Josi, are you watching the "Rome" mini-series on HBO? It's sooooo good!

I would have to say Anne of Green Gables also. Or any movies set way back when. The Love letter, Somewhere in Time, Titanic. I would love to be an extra in movies like that. Can't you just imagine the sets and the clothes...... My Anne of Green Gables vhs are so old. I think I am getting all three for Christmas on DVD, then I am going to invite all my friends over for a slumber party and watch them all. 30ish isn't to old for that......nahhhh.

Teresa, I am not watching the Rome series; sounds like something I would love. We do not subscribe to cable. Always afraid it would tempt me to watch too much TV...... But we also miss a lot of good shows on the History Channel, and Discover and so on....

I love to read, i will read about anything, but apparently I'm out of my league here, I got to admit I love a good trashy romance, and I am a diehard mystery reader. One of my favorite books has been Prince of Tides and was very disappointed when the movie came out--it didn't even have the Prince of Tide character right!

I don't have a favorite movie, usually to busy reading :lol: to pay enough attention. In fact if I got rid of a couple of hundred books around here, I probably could find room for more dollhouses. LOL

But so far nothing I've read has influenced my dollhouse.

Peggi

Tracey, so glad I helped you out!WOW! Ten of them! You must have got a great deal!

Another historical romance writer I collect is Margaret George. She has written

"Henry Vlll- an autobiography, with notes by his fool, Will Somers"

"Mary, Queen of Scots"

"Cleopatra"

I think she has come out with a new one that I haven't read yet.

Another one, I forget the author's name, Phillipa Gregory??

'The Other Boleyn Girl' Mary Boleyn, Anne Boleyn's sister-

The Virgin's Lover About Elizabeth l and Robert Dudley's fool, who is in love with HIM.

These are great bodice rippers, and great imagery in the story lines.......

:lol: The only one I don't have is the Virgin's Lover...

Another great series is: Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe --about Josephine Bonaparte--her diary

The Last Great Dance 3rd in the series--when she becomes EMpress of France, and her divorce from Napoleon. These books are so great that you can't help re-reading them over and over.

My favorite authors are Jane Austen, LaVyrle Spencer, Jude Deveraux, and Lois Duncan when I was a teen. The problem with movies and books-made-into-movies is that the scenes are already done so well, I think I would be disappointed in my own "version"!

Eventually I would like to do a scene or house from one of LaVyrle Spencer's books. She is such an excellent writer, I can picture the houses clearly in my mind when I read the books, and often well after. Her descriptions of turn-of-century homes are chock full of information on what was being used in that time period--wood burning kitchen stoves, canning supplies, linens, dishes, etc....Roberta Jewett's home in "That Camden Summer" would be particularly fun because she is such a terrible housekeeper! And because it would give my poor battered mini-upright piano a home! The farm houses in "Years" or "The Fullfillment" would be interesting, too.

~Tappy

I love The Phantom of the Oprea. The new movie is very well done. I am reading the book now. I think I like the movie better. Which is funny because I do not usually like the movies made from books. I do want to do a theater complete with cellar, but at the moment it is just a dream. :lol:

OH!OH!OH! Yeah...! Phantom of the Opera! LOVED the new one they made....even my husband really liked it! And the Little Women books...oooohhh...to be back in that era! Long dresses! Sometimes, though, I wonder if I had been born in that era, would I have been too much of a rebel? Too outspoken? I had a dream the other night of an abandoned house and barn that somehow I was at with no car, phone, etc., and I had never seen a house like this in real life. But I can't seem to get it out of my mind, so I'll have to draw it or re-create it in minitaure! It was not dirty or broken down or anything, just abandoned! And it was dark outside and I wondered to myself why I wasn't scared, but I also wouldn't go up the staircase! Happy Halloween everyone!

Favorite movie: The Seven Percent Solution. I did actually build a Sherlock Holmes diorama in 5th grade, but having seen the minis done by serious Holmes fans, no way am I going there!

Favorite book: Add another to the Anne of Green Gables list. I reread these at least once a year.

Most of what I read is stuff from the 1920s and 1930s and 1940s -- Elswyth Thane, Angela Thirkell, Barbara Pym, P.G. Wodehouse, the Lucia books -- and I've never felt an urge to do a house in that period. Oops -- that's because my real-life house is very middle-class 1920s!