Mostly Micro

MicroJivvy

Greetings All,

I work primarily in 1:144, but I wandered into greenleaf when someone posted to a list I frequent about the poll on bringing back a discontinued model... I came mostly out of curiosity, but then I fell in love with the Willowcrest.

I don't have a place for such a GIGANTIC house (lol, I'm used to houses I can hold in the palm of my hand), but it's such a pretty thing.

I've been lurking about and considering the possibility of building bigger... :blink:

Jivvy

Hi There Jivvy and Weolcome to our community here!!

Oh, I love your stuff!! I viewed your site yesterday and my keyboard was wet from my drooling all over it :p .

The Willowcrest will make many people want to change scales. I was surprise there were not more votes on that one.

Okay, now I am going to drool some more :p:blink:

Welcome Jivvy! Your houses are so adorable! You have great taste in color and style! I can't believe those little birds are carved from toothpicks! :blink:

The beads who choose to take flight (from your tweezers) are still a lost cause, but some beads were just born to be free.
You crack me up!! :p

It was such a treat to go through your website! Please be sure to share more with us "big-handed" people! :p

Oh thank you, Tracy. Your comments are much needed encouragement -- I've been building a 1/144 gothic bed for the past two days... I keep ending up with a bed suitable for tossing in the trash, but not putting in a house, lol.

I think Ed and you will get alone very well!! He likes the smaller houses too. This is a site that has smaller house printies. http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/

You have got to look at the buildings. They are cute but can be bashed into great things in my opinion.

:blink:

:blink: Hi:

Welcome to the group, a fine looking job you have done on the Dollhouses. I my self like the 1" scale even though they take up so much room. Most I build and sell, I put them on consignment at a local Dollhouse store in the area.

!!WELCOME!!! to the forum!!

I recently joined Micro minis and your site was one I found very inspiring.

the more I do the more I like it!!

Im working on breakaway boxes from the convention.

The Willowcrest was my 2nd house and I will build it again. I didnt get to keep the first one. That house is wonderful!

again welcome!!

nutti :blink:

Thank you everyone for the very warm welcome.

>>This is a site that has smaller house printies. http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/ <<

Ooh, I've seen this site before -- VERY cool stuff.

>> Most I build and sell<<

Me, too -- though doing the tiny stuff, I find my best market on eBay. I truly love the designing and building process, but if I kept everything I did, I wouldn't be able to afford to buy more. :blink:

@nuttiewebgal: another micromini fan, yay. The convention was awesome, wasn't it? :p Thanks for your most kind comments on my work -- most everything I know I've learned from the microminis group.

I have freed more beads into the wild than I care to count.

I have freed more brads (tiny nails) than beads, but Willy would be proud :blink:

Welcome to the forum, where in FL are you & did Wilma miss you (I hope)?

>>Welcome to the forum, where in FL are you & did Wilma miss you (I hope)?<<

On the Gulf Coast (Clearwater), north of where Ms. Wilma did her damage. We had some much needed rain and some minor wind gusts, nothing more.

>>You must have really good eyes and very small fingers.<<

har, no. I have really good magnification and very small tools. :o

I actually had lasik surgery several years ago (I was severely nearsighted with severe astigmatism in both eyes). I'm now eyeglass free, but a bit farsighted (which makes close work harder)... if I didn't have my magnifying visor, I wouldn't be able to work at any scale, I don't think. :D

>> Was is an okay experience?<<

I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I had worn glasses since I was six years old. I hadn't really considered lasik, but I was working in an office at the time and someone who had always worn glasses, stopped wearing them. I asked him about it and he had had lasik -- and he had HIGH recommendations for the doctor who had done his surgery.

And his eyesight story was similar to mine -- glasses from an early age, severe astigmatism...

I called for an "information" appointment -- they gave me one that night. I was scared to death, but went ... and made my surgery appointment for the next week. If I had thought about it any longer, I probably would've talked myself out of it, lol.

My recommendation is to only go to a doctor where you have personal recommendations. The training/certification process for Lasik is NOT rigorous (IMO), so there are a lot of hacks out there. If you don't know anyone who has had the surgery, ask any doctor if they have patients that are willing to give you a recommendation.

Also, depending on your eyes, you made need "touch ups" -- I had 20/15 eyesight when my surgery was done. But within two months, one eye had deteriorated to the point that my vision was affected. This is NOT unusual when you start out with extremely bad vision. In the end, I had two touch ups on one eye, and one touch up on the other. The last touch up was about 9 months after the initial surgery.

Lucky me, I had chosen the "surgery plan" where all touch ups were FREE.

That was all over five years ago and my eyesight is now 20/20. I use very mild "readers" for books (and heavy magnification for mini-work).

To be truthful, the hardest part for me was a bizarre depression/separation anxiety at the loss of my glasses. No joke -- it sounds funny now, but my glasses had always been a huge source of security for me... not needing them was strange and difficult.

It is a VERY scary proposition, having surgery on your eyes, and only you can know if it's a good idea for you (and selection of the right doctor is critical), but for me? A true blessing.

Welcom Jivvy. I'm amazed at the details in your tiny houses. I admire you and Nutti for being able to do this type work, I fumble stuff to much to do that (one reason I keep putting off trying to make clay items)

Also I am glad your eye surgery was successful.

Peggi

That was all over five years ago and my eyesight is now 20/20. I use very mild "readers" for books (and heavy magnification for mini-work).

To be truthful, the hardest part for me was a bizarre depression/separation anxiety at the loss of my glasses. No joke -- it sounds funny now, but my glasses had always been a huge source of security for me... not needing them was strange and difficult.

It is a VERY scary proposition, having surgery on your eyes, and only you can know if it's a good idea for you (and selection of the right doctor is critical), but for me? A true blessing.

I can totaly relate to you loss of glasses. I wore them since I was 5,(neersighted). I had a different surgery to restore my vision a few months ago. I had inter-ocular lens replacement to get rid of cataracts caused by medication. It was very scarry,but worth it, I see 20/15 on most days, but my eyes will fluctuate to 20/30 every now and then, then go back to 20/15. I still wake up and look for my glasses. or look for them before drivig somewhere. That remides me I still need to go to DMV and get the glasses restriction removed from my licence.

Melissa

I can totaly relate to you loss of glasses. I wore them since I was 5,(neersighted). <snip> I still wake up and look for my glasses. or look for them before drivig somewhere.

The retroactively-funniest thing that happened to me along these lines (it wasn't funny at the time) was when my husband was out of town and I woke up to the house alarm going off.

In my state of waking panic, I decided I needed to get out of the house -- but I couldn't leave because I couldn't find my glasses! I was going crazy scattering stuff everywhere looking for them when I suddenly remembered I didn't wear glasses any more.

At that point I ran out of the house, took a breath, and realized that the alarm was going off because there was a power blackout.

Which was a good thing, because if someone had been in the house they would have had ample time to clonk me on the head while I searched for my glasses. :o

I had inter-ocular lens replacement to get rid of cataracts caused by medication.

My eye doctor informs me I have cataracts, which haven't bothered me yet; I love to do mini needlework, is that still possible after the surgery?