10/26/05 Family & Dollhouses

Minis On The Edge

None of my family are into dollhouses. My grandfather liked to build scale models of carts (baker's, ice cream vendors, etc...) when he was younger. My grandmother loved to dress dolls in knitted clothes - I still have some of these, actually.

My father used to have a ship model (a huge one), so I think at least his side of the family thinks dollhouses are quite normal. My mother's side of the family probably wouldn't understand, but they're such boring people I hardly ever see them. :D ;)

The reaction I hate most when people see my minis is saying that they're 'such dust traps'... <sigh>

Can anyone tell me . . . my nephews are coming next summer, ages 12 and 9, and I'd like to have them build something because they are both into crafts.  I'm wondering, which log cabin would be a good starter home for them?  Thanks!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We're putting together the Shenandoah log cabin by Dura-craft right now and it's great. It's pretty large though, so it may be too much for a beginner project. My husband also built the smallest Dura-craft cabin (I can't remember the name of it at the moment...) and got it almost completely put together in a weekend. It looked a little overwhelming at first because the 'logs' all come separately and you have to assemble them into the walls (kind of reminded me of Lincoln Logs) but once he got started on it he said it was a cinch. They might enjoy that. A castle would be a lot of fun too, or a model ship. I guess it depends which way their interests lean.

Seriously Dad is into Skeet shooting and just won a buckle in his age division (seniors)- he was the oldest shooter at the competition and the next high scorer was 15 years younger than him - pop is 75.    :D

-David

Now that's just totally cool! He sounds like someone who believes in grabbing life by the horns and hanging on for the ride.

Deb

Other than this forum, I don't know another soul who is into miniatures. That's why I'm so grateful to have found this sight and all you wonderful people willing to share advice and how tos.

My older sister (12 yrs older) thinks I've gone a bit crazy and just shakes her head at me and says she wouldn't have the patience and says it in such a way that I know she thinking why are you wasting your time?

My twin sister is a great supporter, but she lives two states away. She loves the stories I share building the house and the contents I've bought and can't wait till I get finish so she can play with it. My brother has finally realized that when he calls and ask me what I doing and I say shingling that it's on my dh and he just laughs at me and tells me that by this time I could've built a real house. (which is true, its taking me forever) :lol:

People at work, are coming around and are amazed that you can get anything for a dh that you can get for a real house.

I just tell the non-believers that it's a hobby that keeps me out of trouble (to those types you don't admit spending to much) and if they get that "look" I say it is not really a dollhouse it is a miniature house, meant for older folks cause young folks don't appreciate the work or know how to handle such small fragile pieces. :) That at least shuts them up

Peggi

I think my best reaction was from a friends son in law who is a general contractor and a master carpenter.We where having a bar-b-q The next thing we knew he was no where in sight, found him in the shop playing with the dollhouse. and wanting to help with the details

needless to say I had him hooked

Fortunately, I married someone who's into wargaming miniatures, so he understands the need to keep buying and painting small things.

My mother has more dollhouses than I do, but most of hers were bought rather than built. Of the three that my father built when I was small, I have custody of two, and one fell apart from years of use. (It was built of plexiglass and a single story, so one approached from above. The glue at the corners gave out, and the contak paper wallpaper was so old that my parents decided not to repair it.)

My MBA students always get a laugh at introduction time. They're always all outdoorsy types. They run. They sail. They hike. They climb mountains and jump off. I tell them that I'm so NOT outdoorsy that I have to build MORE INTERIORS to keep myself happy.

Hi All - I'm so far behind on this topic -

Teresa - Are your nephews really into the western stuff? You could build them a log cabin or an adobe house. Unfortunately I don't know anything about log cabin kits. I Like Lisa's idea of a castle - I want to build one of those for myself! You could also have them do a Garage - or maybe ask them what kind of things they are into. I keep thinking about Rik Pierces Hobbit house - I'm not big into LOTR but for kids who are what an awesome place that would be! Right now my son and me are starting work on a Santa's Village house the "Your photo with Santa" type thing lol :lol: I've also seen a kit called the Ponderosa -there are two kits I've seen by that name but one really looks like the Ponderosa from Bonanza... I think it's probably pretty pricey though.

Thanks Deb and Minimad woman for the congrats on Dad's win - he's a funny sorta guy - the unemotional John Wayne "a man acts like this" kinda guy :D but he's mellowed a lot over the years which makes him more fun to be around than when I was little lol - he's got some great stories about when he was a kid!

<hugs>

-David

• 1 year later...

Hey this is a great thread and I'd like to bring it forward.

I don't know anyone else who minis. My daughter will patiently look and listen to my dollhouse stories, but is not really interested and DH will watch me build and hold something while I cut it, but no one else in the family has any interest. In fact my sil said if anything happened to me, she would just bring in a dumpster for all my 'junk'. I finally just stopped telling family about my stuff. It is funny when my DH makes his friends come in and look at what I have done on the houses. They want to look but seem to be afraid of the girly implications.

some people cant get over the "toy" connotations dollhouses and miniatures bring up.

but just about everyone has found someting they thought was kewl in my slowly growing community of dollhouses.

I think its sad.

nutti :jawdrop:

When we were young my sisters and I had miniatures. One sister put together one of the living room kits by House of Miniatures (I know have the furniture). We also have a doll collection of dolls from around the world (my sister has my part of the collection). Our grandparents traveled when they retired and would bring us each (3 of us) back a doll and my mother would add to it by buying dolls from Unicef and such places through our church. Then I fell in love with the Pierce and finally talked my mother into getting the kit for Christmas and building it with me when I was in middle school. My family is always supportive of any craft. My mother always taught us to make things--Christmas ornaments, quilts, clothes, etc. So now we are all somewhat crafty and artistic. My oldest sister majored in art so she is always supportive of anything creative. My parents enjoy seeing my dollhouses. I have actually sat down with my father and shown him some of the galleries here. My mother's family is full of woodworkers. Apparently my grandfather had all the attachments to make nice dollhouse furniture for his dremel. And at some point made furniture, but I never saw it. :jawdrop:( He died when I was in high school and we were never close to him. I tried to talk my uncle who now has his tools to start making me furniture but he told me he was more likely to loan me the tool. Of course, his significant other told me about a huge dh shop in CT that I still have to check out.

As for friends they all oooh and ahhh and my dh thinks they are great and thinks it is good I have something to do with my time. I took one of my friends to the dh store once and she was amazed by what they made in miniature. She kept going around saying look at this and what is this. It was neat to see things in her eyes.

I can remember when I first told Jerry that I had always wanted a dollhouse. We hadn't been married very long and I remember being worried that he would think I was some kind of immature little kid or something! But, he went and bought a LaFayette, built it and built all the furniture for it.

My "family" (mother, brothers, sister) all thought I was out of my mind, but they've always been that way towards me. Most of my friends love to look at my houses. My daughter takes my seasonal scenes to school for a day to decorate with. My youngest daughter gets rather embarrassed when I save jelly containers, sauce containers, etc. All of the kids have been embarrassed at least once when I would tell one of their friends that touching a dollhouse could cost them their fingers! LOL The kids quickly learned to make sure their friends knew not to touch so I wouldn't make that awful statement to them!

• 2 weeks later...

I dont have any friends or Family other than all of you! that are interested in the dollhouses.. My sons have both helped me build thiers but that is all. My Mother has a dollhouse, that I built & Decorated. It is sitting in her Bedroom but she does nothing with it.

Hugs

Kellee

• 2 weeks later...

My first 2 dollhouses were Christmas presents, designed and built by my grandfather. He was also into trains. Once I went to his house, and his entire living room was one gigantic miniature town (HO Scale, I guess...?), with a train running through it! At least half a dozen pieces of plywood all connected, four feet off the ground, fully decorated. Now that's a good use of living space! :unsure:

No no else that I know is into miniatures. Until they actually see the houses, they can't quite understand what it is that I do. However, I am proud to say that my father in law, who is a contractor, was quite impressed with my Garfield! He aims to make a woodworker out of me!

• 2 months later...

It's taking a little while, but quite a few of my family and friends are slowly joining the mini fan club. DH likes them. My youngest son will make things for my houses, my youngest daughter has a huge barbie house, and has expressed interest in the Haunted House, my sis-in law bought a super size homemade house and furniture, and my oldest daughter and her hubbie are successfully hooked! Girls at work are admitting wanting a house, and many of them will clip photos, or save articles they find. One girl has a "shadow box", she puts random little minis in, 'cause she too old for that sort of stuff. I've met a member from here in person as well, so my circle of comfort is growing!!!!

One girl has a "shadow box", she puts random little minis in, 'cause she too old for that sort of stuff.
That's so sad! People who can't let their inner children out to play at least once in a while grow old too quickly and they don't "get" anything. I think my favorite thread on the entire Chit Chat forum has been the virtual playground (which has been awfully quiet of late; did all our outer grownups get mad & ground us all?).