Speaking of the Dremel tools

dbrazelt

Congratulations to you who are starting to use the Dremel and this is extended to all who use it regularly. I felt I just had to jump in and make a few observations and insights gained from nearly 60 years of Dremel use (I got my first one, a model 2, in 1947). I currently have a dozen rotary tools ranging from the MiniMite up to the model 400XPR with all attachments. I spent six years demonstrating these tools and found I like some more than others.

My Favorites:

Cordless:

The Stylus: Just right for mini work. Fits the hand just right and the Li Ion battery gives it lots of power. I've learned to set it back in the dock instead of laying it down and have yet to run out of battery. Only limitation is it fits ony the rotary bits.

Model 8000 Li Ion cordless: Larger than the stylus but takes all the attachments for the Mulltipro models as well as the rotary bits. Has the benefit of the Li Ion battery with its long life that does not self-discharge. It uses a separate charger so I rcommend having two batteries if you tend to use it heavy.

MiniMite: Smallest of the bunch. Just right for working inside a dollhouse. About 30 minute runtime on the Ni-Cad battery so I suggest having three batteries. One in use, one waiting and one on the charger.

Corded:

Model 400 XPR: Top of the line. Super accessories including a mini reciprocal saw attachment using standard jigsaw blades. Just right to cut windows & doors in a kit bashed dollhouse. A flexshaft is included in the basic kit.

Multipro: This is a family of tools which includes 5 speed, two speed and single speed versions and the new model 300. The single speed is just right to use with an external speed control (Like the Dremel foot control) giving you an infinite range of speeds. They accept all the bits and all the attachments except the sexy new ones designed for the 400 XPR.

Gee, that's a bunch isn't it? Now let me speak a bit about the bits and attachments. Of course, the flexshaft is a given as a necessary attachment for those tools that will accept it. The model 575 Right Angle Attachment is great for working inside the doolhouse or room box with the corded tools. The model 565 multipurpose cutting kit works great for windows and doors with the corded tools or the model 8000 Li Ion tool. A neat attachment is the new model 220 Work Station which combines a drill press attachment with a holder for the tool and flexshaft. The drill press portion can be rotated for drilling at an angle or to horizontal to act a a tool holder which is helpful for polishing, etc. I have both the model 335 Plunge Router and the model 231 Shaper/Router Table. I have yet to use the plunge router for mini work, but I use the shaper/router table a lot.

Some have commented on the cutoff wheels. The emery cutoff wheels are the first thing I throw away because as you have noted, they shatter too easily. I use the model 526 fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheels. Keep in mind that these are cutoff wheels and really won't substitute for a saw. The best example of a use is cutting off the corner braces of the Heritage dollhouse. Don't sand with them. Use the sanding drums and the sanding disks for this chore. (Hint: When using the disks, put two on the mandrell back to back, Then you can sand from both directions) Most kits come with only the 1/8" collet. You will want the model 4485 Quick Change Collet set if you will use the smaller shafted bits or the drill bits. The model 4486 Chuck is a good compromise when you may be frequently changing bit sizes. A new addition to the Dremel line is the model 631 Brad Point Drill Bit Set that lets you drill up to 1/4" holes.

To close this epistle, just a word about safety. Wear safety glasses with all rotary bits and stay just a little afraid of any power tool. I have followed these rules and have never in my 60 years of using the Dremel had it hurt me at all.

You can contact Dremel at 1 800 437 3635 in the USA and 1 888 285-3476 in Canada. Look at www.dremel.com for online contact. It is a great website and the customer support is really good.

Thanks for letting me indulge in my love of these tools.

Are you the Dave from "www.homestead.com/davesminiplace"?? If you are, I'm in awe! Wow! I love what you've done with the dremel tools and the dollhouses on that site! I discovered it while planning to build my beaumont. I did an internet search for "beaumont" and your site came up. You're an inspiration to me.

Thank you so much Dave!! I (or DH's; he thinks) have the 400 XPR, I know I have not used it to its full potential, so any help and explanations are very valuable to me. We have a saw attachment (now I will show my ignorance of power tools, but hey unti I started this hobby I didn't know anything) but I don't think it is the recipcal saw.

I have a Beaumont also, but am waiting to get much more experience before building it. I want it to be my masterpiece (see above statement about learning) so when I get ready I may bug you and Esther for lots of help and hints. It is one beautiful house and seeing your and Esther's give me something to live up to.

Thanks for letting me indulge in my love of these tools.

Dave, the thanks all go to you for sharing your knowledge of dremels with us! There's a lot of "mystery" about dremels in mini work and you've answered a lot of questions, and provided us with some great insight. Thank you so much!

Deb

One thing I'd add is that I ALWAYS recommend people get real Dremels, so they can use the accessories. I also have a B&D GTX 2 amp 3 speed tool, it's great for grunt work, but it will only use the bits. To use accessories like the drill press/ stand, router, saw attachments etc you HAVE to have a Dremel. The nose on the Dremel is longer and so the accessories/attachments (almost all are made by dremel) won't snug down properly, so they won't work.

Another great attachment for dollhouse modding is the mini circular saw. On Greenleaf wood it goes through like a hotwire through foam, an absolute joy to use. Needless to say these kind of tools are not recommended for younger children at all, regardless of adult supervision. This is a serious power tool, just a little one.

Doogster you wrote, "Another great attachment for dollhouse modding is the mini circular saw. On Greenleaf wood it goes through like a hotwire through foam, an absolute joy to use."

You are right and the model 670 Minisaw is indeed a neat tool. I didn't mention it for several reasons, none of which are relevant when compared to the excellent endorsement you gave the attachment.

It is limited to 1/4 deep cuts: not a problem when cutting on the Greenleaf plywood. It will cut only in a straight line or a very long radius curve. And the least excusable reason is that when I decide to make the kind of cuts the minisaw will make, I do it with my model 1680 scroll saw. I just forgot that it was useful for many of those cuts I would make on the scroller. I do use it when I am cutting doorskin (used to skin the flush panel doors in houses) down to smaller pieces for further cutting into dollhouse parts, which is another of my favorite materials and works well with the Greenleaf houses.

A word to the wise: there are metal sawblades available on the market from otherwise excellent sources such as Widget tools that do not have guards. I guarantee that if you use these, you will eventually get hurt by them. The Minisaw has the appropriate gurds to prevent injury, but they still require care when used.

Thanks for reminding me to include this attachment. I echo your endorsement.