Winter drive-ability?

cwoods

Does anyone out there drive a 97 or newer Mustang or Eclipse that could share their (the cars) ability to get through the winter? Can they make it or do they have to spend the winter in the garage? My husband is convinced that if I were to get either of these I would end up in the ditch.

We live in rural Montana, and those people with those types of cars are usually tourists who get into big trouble around here with them. They ARE roller skates in the winter. We have an all-wheel drive Suburu - which is like a mountain goat, winter and summer. We also have a Thunderbird which has not been driven now for 5 years. The smaller cars also don't do well after they hit a deer either. The car is driveable but needs massive front end work.

Get a real car, and leave the tin boxes to the city folks.

Wolfie

I don't own either one of those, but would guess that they would not be good in the snow. They are rear wheel drive, and at best, you need front wheel drive in the snow. I used to have a front wheel drive Kia Sephia (1996) and it would go through anything, never slipped, never slid. The Sportage will slide in the rain if I'm not careful, but I understand that the 4 wheel drive ones are much better. Mine is two wheel drive, and rear at that...

But, I'm in the south and we don't get much snow where I am.

rear wheel drive in the snow..... :D

I have nightmares driving the mail truck in snow storms.. If you like fishtailing..it is the way to go..

I agree with the others, You gotta get front wheel or all wheel. I mean any kinda wheel drive isnt going to stop your car in a skid in snow if you dont know how to drive in it but either one of those is much better.

I haven't owned either of those. I do recommend a front wheel drive. I have a Kia Sedona mini van. I absolutely love it. It handles better than any car I have driven in the snow. I have driven my sisters Sportage and love it just as much.

My 1st car was a rear wheel drive and I tell you, in the snow it had a mind of its own. I learned a LOT about fishtailing that winter lol.

It is virtually impossible to drive with a rear wheel in the winter...unless you are a fan of the tow truck and sitting in ditches, I'd avoid it :D

My 1st car was a rear wheel drive and I tell you, in the snow it had a mind of its own. I learned a LOT about fishtailing that winter lol.

It is virtually impossible to drive with a rear wheel in the winter...unless you are a fan of the tow truck and sitting in ditches, I'd avoid it :D

I had a Mercur. Rear wheel drive and turbo charged. I never put that car in the ditch one time and drove it for several years and at that time I was driving my husband 8 miles one way to work every day. If you get the idea out of your head that you can drive as fast on snow as dry pavement and use some caution you should be able to drive most any car in the snow.

It's my policy to wave and honk at people that pass me and then end up in the ditch. No, I don't stop.

Kathy