7/3/07 VHS or DVD

When you buy movies, do you buy VHS or DVDs? I am going through all of my VHS movies and have noticed that I have some of my old VHS tapes on DVD now. I still watch a lot of my movies on VHS too. What about you all?

I haven't figured out yet how to play our VHS movies with our new HDTV and we're buying all our new movies on DVD, but I do like my VHS movies, too. I just feel sorry for the people with their big video discs (the version * first saw "quest for Fire" on) and their Betamax systems (a lot of our A/V materials in nursing school were on Betamax tapes). I'm tempted to switch eventually to all-DVD for the room.

I have & still use both. I have converted many from vhs to dvd...the ones that I could. The ones that I could not, I just kept the tapes. When I buy new movies, I usually get dvd, unless it's at a yard sale where I see something special that is cheap !! Somewhere, packed away in my attic, I still have a complete Beta system (camera, recorder, players, etc.) and even a 8mm system.!! I keep saying "Yard Sale", but keep putting it off. Maybe I'm waiting for this stuff to become antiques!! DW says that my movies are getting out of control!! Unfortunately, you can't even give away vhs tapes. I took about 200 to my local charity thrift store as a donation & they refused them ! My main dvd player holds 400 disks, so I can 'flop' on the sofa with my iced tea, munchies, and a half dozen remote controls & watch old movies with the puppies while DW is at work. What can I say ??

When our vcr broke a few years ago, we never replaced it. All dvd now. Now there is another new fangled thingy called blue ray disc. Does anyone have that?

I still have some old movies on vhs cause you cant get them on dvd. But when I rent movies I get dvd. dont get that rewind charge anymore even though I am pretty sure I always rewound.

Plus I have a dickens of a time with the video player never could understand that thing.

Bec

We're slowly switching over to dvd's. Any new movies we buy we get in dvd format - but when I run across sales of some of my favorites at the video rental store - I still pick up vhs to add to our movie collection. Just can't beat 99-cent sales even if they are vhs.

I prefer dvd's though - they take up less space & I like being able to jump to different scenes without having to fastforward & rewind to get there.

Unfortunately, you can't even give away vhs tapes. I took about 200 to my local charity thrift store as a donation & they refused them !

I bagged up all of my vhs tapes last week and listed them on Freecycle. I got responses from quite a few people. I gave them to the first guy and he drove right across town in about 20 minutes to pick them up.

We've only got dvd - Ray got rid of my 2 dvd/vhs players just last week. Both our tvs are hooked up to high definition/pvr (personal viewing recorder - same thing as tyvo). He also installed 2 new dvd players. One of them also records on the dvd player; and, the other one can load 5 dvds at a time. Ray always likes to be up to date on electronics.

If it was up to me, I'd probably still be getting up and down to turn the tv on and off. I don't watch very much tv. When we do watch, I usually only lend half an ear as I'm either working on a craft or doing puzzles.

-Susanne

DVD

I am not a movie fan, but My Hubby could watch movies for hours.! We still have VHS movies, and we are taking them to a friends house to put in her yard sale next weekend.!

I prefer DVDs because they take up less room and I can Last memo it. Then when I want to finish watching I can with a push of a button.!

Kellee

We buy mainly DVD now, but have lots of vhs tapes. Bought a DVD recorder and still trying to figure out how to make the darn thing work LOL

We watch DVD's, although I wish we had a VCR player. Most of the older movies that I like aren't on DVD yet (at least that I've seen) and VHS are so much cheaper.

My sweetheart is dying to try Blue Ray - it's only a matter of time now lol

You can still get vhs players very cheap. I always see a lot of them at yard sales & usually most of them just need a good cleaning. I have a vhs/dvd combo in my shop & with all the sawdust, etc., it acts up frequently, so I just put in the cleaning tape or cleaning disk & a minute later it's good as new.

I sometimes wonder if I should have bought an extra VCR to keep in storage. Once mine break, that's the end of those old tapes. I confess, I still get a kick of those old Thomas The Tank Engine shorts, and I have no excuse whatsoever to buy them on DVD.

DVDs!! We are movie fans and the quality from the dvds is much much much better!

We have a bunch of vhs but we don't watch them anymore.

We also have a dvd recorder so you can put everything you like from tv on a dvd! (also old vhs tapes (the ones that aren't protected))

I thought I had a huge collection of VHS - 400. I am down to 60 now as I have replaced them with DVDs and as those come out on DVD I will toss the VHS ones. I love the DVDs so much my collection of them is much larger than the VHS tapes. No tape to rewind or fast forward, smaller to store, a much larger selection of movies than VHS ever had and best of all, they don't deteriorate over time.

Hey Deana....I sold a lot of vhs , gave a lot away, & last week I found a re-use-it store run by a local church that took 5 boxes full.....so I'm down to about 400 vhs tapes!!! DW keeps saying that I'm out of control & would need another lifetime to look at all the videos I have. Women just don't understand !!!