Grass????

lynnae

I am about to start the yard for my dollhouse. I was woundering what would be best to use for grass. I thought about moss, but I didn't know how long it would last. Any sugestions are apreciated. :congrats:

I use model rail road grass go to a hobby shop and you should find something that will work, you don't need a big roll so it should only be about 10 dollars max.

I have "grass", from the corner mini-market. Awhile back, the fellow was so kind as to give me the stuff they put in the veggie display. Perhaps one of your stores would have some there, definitely worth inquiring about. I've also seen crocheted, grass. My Aunt could make rugs with loops on it, them she'd cut the loop, and it looked like grass!

You can also use either fabrics either velcet or perhaps some of that terry(?) cloth, if you have sawdust avaliable you can dye that with green colours and add some glue in the mixture or take soem snad and add to green paint, or I have heard of those who paint the base green-ish and cover/coat it with a layer of glue and sprinkle a mix of chopped up herbs. There are some "fuzzy" paperbacked sheets avaliable in art stores as well I think.

That is if you don't have the possibility of getting to a hobby store and get a hold of that roll of grass they most often carry, the also have "scatter" material one cna use to add texture to the surface.

Hugs

I used a kind of outdoor carpet on the Garf, kind of like astro turf..Picked it up at Home Depot

post-663-1184670935_thumb.jpg

They cut if off the roll for me...only need a little bit so was very cheap

Irene thats a good idea. I hadnt thought about that. It is cheaper than the roll of hobby grass? They can be expensive. I need a huge sheet for my Pierce and if I can get it at the Home Depot it would be great because then I wouldnt need to patch.

I bought the paper grass a long time ago and the roll lasts forever. The only problem I have with it is it leaves green dust around. You can see it on my Orchid and Bayberry in the gallery.

It doesn't help much right now, but when Walmart puts out their Christmas holiday stuff, you can find sheets of grass in the holiday decor dept. along side the little village buildings. I got a fairly decent size sheet for under $2 for my mom last Christmas to go along with her rgt front opening shop.

WOW, you all have some great ideas.! I was able to get a half roll for Free at the local hobby shop a few years ago when I did my Mothers Ashley landscaping. The green flakes have since come loose and it does not look very nice now but it did the job for a while. I really like the idea of painting the sand to make grass or using astro turf from Home Depot. Ours sells it by the foot.! and If I am right it is like 10 foot X 1 foot for about $5.00. But I may be wrong about that.!

Kellee

Being a natural wolf I'm a bit more quirky than the rest of you! What I do for grass should not happen I guess..... Anyway I talk old foam cushions and shred bits and pieces of the foam in my blender until they are very very tiny. Then while it is still in the blender I add some craft paint in a grass green color......and blend it all again.....until fluffy! then I remove it and let it all dry...and I have grass! Yes, it's messy. Yes, it's wrecking my blender! But the greenery that comes out is very realistic looking and I use it to cover trees and bushes as well as using it for grass. I tuck it into bouquets for my dolls, and decorate the hats with the greenery around the flowers on those hats.... But I'm harmless and I'm not crazy! Just trying to do it the cheapest way possible.

Couch cushions work the best!

Wolfie

:p

Being a natural wolf I'm a bit more quirky than the rest of you! What I do for grass should not happen I guess..... Anyway I talk old foam cushions and shred bits and pieces of the foam in my blender until they are very very tiny. Then while it is still in the blender I add some craft paint in a grass green color......and blend it all again.....until fluffy! then I remove it and let it all dry...and I have grass! Yes, it's messy. Yes, it's wrecking my blender! But the greenery that comes out is very realistic looking and I use it to cover trees and bushes as well as using it for grass. I tuck it into bouquets for my dolls, and decorate the hats with the greenery around the flowers on those hats.... But I'm harmless and I'm not crazy! Just trying to do it the cheapest way possible.

Couch cushions work the best!

Wolfie

:wave:

Wow I had never heard of anything like that before! Talk about originality!

You must have some hard couches by now though, Wolfie..... :giggle:

Couches Gina? What couches!? I don't have one anymore! But I have started on a chair now....it's a bit hard in one corner, but the rest is OK - so far.....

Wolfie :giggle:

I talk old foam cushions and shred bits and pieces of the foam in my blender until they are very very tiny. Then while it is still in the blender I add some craft paint in a grass green color......and blend it all again.....until fluffy! then I remove it and let it all dry...and I have grass! Yes, it's messy. Yes, it's wrecking my blender! But the greenery that comes out is very realistic looking and I use it to cover trees and bushes as well as using it for grass. I tuck it into bouquets for my dolls, and decorate the hats with the greenery around the flowers on those hats....

OMG, I laughed so hard when I read this. :giggle: My first thought was "she's insane!" but then I considered the texture you'd get from such a mix, not to mention the ability to color it to the exact shade you want. Essentially what you're getting is homemade grass similar to what you'd buy for model trains. How do you fix it in place? Sprinkle it down and then spray with a thinned white glue mixture?

You could do the same thing that Wolfie does, except, use cheap toilet paper. I did this in college, you put the paper and and water in the blender then add the color. Then you have to pour off the water through some kind of strainer, we used window screen stapler to pieces of wood making a rectangle. Then you let the mush dry in the strainer, and then you have textured, green paper. I wasn't to messy, as long as you did it in small batches, I have done it my classroom with my student and it wasn't to bad.

So you would need....

blender

cheap tp (very cheap...go with one ply)

Green coloring material (I think large bottle of food coloring would work...but that's up to you)

A bucket or pan to catch the water when you strain the stuff in the blender.

strainer....pour all over the strainer...the paper can be thinker or thinner depending on how you want it to look.

That my two cents worth :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello long time no see:

I work in a garden center and found some sand that is used for bonsi trees that is colored, I spread some white glue and sprinkled it worked well.

they have a web sight www.tagltd.com hope this helps

Donna

One thing I also like to do is use foamboard under your grass (I use NOCH grass from HBS) that way you can "plant" the flowers. My DH also put small nails in the bottom of the fence posts and we glued them in. Take off the nail heads. We used plywood under the foamboard and wrapped the NOCH grass over the edges and used spray adheasive. I used a pin to poke small holes to push the stems and nails in. :D

I also use grass that I got years ago...huge bag for about $2.00. It looks like individual tiny grass blades....basically I spread glue and sprinkle and press in with my hand, etc. I also like some of the grass paper, but it's not as realistic as the individual grass blades.

I love my chopped foam as it lasts forever and it stays "soft" to the touch....I use that in my landscaping. Those were old couch cushions.....we save them when we get rid of things and then I can use them at my leisure....besides as they age, they work in the blender better than "new foam." LOL

Wolfie

Gayle, the shredded oaisis or styrofoam won't be as soft as the ground foam, but it will work. I've done it before, and it makes a half way decent "grass." But it's not soft like the foam. think how soft the lawn is......and try to duplicate that in mini. I always think "how can I make this look real? What about this would look great in mini? Hmmmmm the real grass is soft and flexible; what can I use that is soft and flexible and would work?" Then I try just a little bit. Sometimes I fail, sometimes it's a success! I go with the successes!

Wolfie