Beacon entry lighting

Guyz_Gurl

Well, I've finally got to the point where I can start my wiring. YAY!! Can't wait! I've decided where I want the bulk of the lights in the outside rooms, but I have a couple questions about the entry and the hall.

I'm planning to put two sconces on the wall with the stairs. (May end up doing one on wall with door, one on the other) But what I can't figure out is a ceiling fixture. I'm worried if I put just one, towards the back of the room, it will look terribly dark towards the front. So maybe I should put one there too?

But at the same time, I'm planning on changing the front door, and replacing with a single french, and I'll have a porch light in front of that. Will that give enough light to look ok?

And the second floor hall... planning on one ceiling fixture with two sconces on the staircase. Too much?

I'll confess that I have never even seen a mini light lit up, so I have no clue about how much light it puts off, which is what is making this so hard for me. I don't know so I can't picture how it'll look.

I'm planning on doing a practice run with blue tape first thing tomorrow. Would it be ok if I post a pic when I get it done to see what yall think?

I guess it depends on the kind of lighting you use. I only added a 5 bulb ceiling light to my first floor hall/dining area, and it seems bright enough. On the second floor, I added a 6 bulb chandelier, and I think that it's pretty bright too---any more, and I think it'd be over-kill. I just added sconces on the 3rd floor (2 bulbs each)....

I'd say to just browse the galleries and see what people have done and that should give you a pretty good idea....I suppose it depends on if your using light or dark wallpaper too....

Good luck :p

I have only one ceiling fixture in my Cranberry kitchen and one in the livingroom. I have a wall sconces on each side of the bathroom mirror. The other rooms, have one floor lamp each. I have found that the round bulbs appear to emit more light, than the little pointy ones. One bulb, per room does the trick for me. I guess what you'll need to do, is envision your house, as if it were a real home, and ask yourself if the fixture would work there. Supposedly, the round mini bulbs give off, about as much light as a 60 amp light bulb in a real house would(bulb to room size ratio, if that makes any sense)An electrician told me that awhile back, and I didn't question how he came to that figure. I used plug-in lights, so I could easily add more later, if I needed to. I'm fairly certain you have the same option with tape wire.