10/30/05 Scary Movies

Minis On The Edge

It was actually Blair witch project 1. And it was so scary because I got the feeling at first that it was "real" since it started out like a documantary kind of and then because I know myself and my abilities to handle a map which is no good :blink:

As for walking about in the dark in a forest that is a really big no no in my mind!

Mini-hugs

When I was 5 or 6 years old I watched a horror version of "The Wizard Of Oz", that was very scary! And during a trip to Hungary I had to watch an Hungarian horror film with some older friends. I think I was even younger than 5 and it was such a horrible movie with naked witches and blood! For sure still the scariest movie I have ever seen! :blink: And my parents became very angry when they heard about that! ;) But in general I'm not easily scared by films. Even as a child I never had any nightmares after watching a scary movie.

For me, it was every Saturday afternoon, there was a show on called "The Squeaking Door" and everytime The Mummy was on it, I was absolutely terrified. Now, the type that really terrifies me is the psychological thrillers such as "The Hitcher". To this day, the thought of that movie scares me so much.

Wendy

The movie that bothered me the most, it wasn't scary but for some reason still haunts me, was High Ice, starring David Janson, it was about rescueing people from a mountain range, Janson, in order to save one of the people cause a blizzard was coming in, had to be left behind and the people on the ground talked to him until he froze to death. The shot of the helicopter flying his frozen body thru the air the next morning and knowing he froze was just eerie.

The one that scared me was the movie about the mistress that wouldn't let go, (Ok I looked it up the name is "Fatal Attraction" with Glen Close) and when she came out to that tub, I jumped sky high.

Sorry, can you tell I'm having a bad day can't remember nothing, brain overload, I guess :blink:

\

Peggi

I love scary movies!! My husband is a shift worker and works a lot of all nighters. I love to curl up and watch scary movies or read scary books all by myself. I have a niece (lives about 3 hours away) who shares my passion. When she and her sister come up to stay for a few days, her younger sister (Brittany) will go and chat with friends on the computer for a couple of hours while Steph and I watch a scary movie.

Susanne

Movies that scare me the most are movies like Fatal Attraction or Seven in fact I don't even find them enjoyable at all - though I have to say there is one so bad that just watching clips from it was more than I could take. It was voted the number one scarey movie in the top 100 scary movie moments - it's so bad that some of the most die hard horror/gore movie directors couldn't sit through the last 10 min of it. I wish I could remember the name but it was out of Japan I believe - nice timid Japanese girl who underneath isn't so timid and the final scenes still send shivers down my spine and I only saw what they could show on television! - Psychopath movies really get to me.

When it comes to monsters/ ghosts/witches/ supernatural - bring it on I love a good monster flick! but have to say no thank you to the psychotic killer flicks -

-David

I usually have a very strict "no horror movies" policy - I have a very active imagination and can easily scare the beejeebees out of myself, so I don't need any extra "material" to work with! <_<

However, I had to watch the movie Copycat to write a report on agoraphobia and it was the scariest thing I've seen in a long time! :)

I don't do blood and gore movies so I don't watch a lot of the modern horror movie fare. I love a good psychological/hitchcockesque thriller tho, and ghost stories delight me. I think the best I've seen recently that sent a chill up my spine was "The Thirteenth Ghost". Of course, what I liked best about it was the house. <_<

Deb

@David: I have to say that I really like "Seven". Same with "Fight Club", I fear I like thrillers or just Brad Pitt? ... :)

@Deb: I also find myself watching horror films just because of the beautiful houses they play in. <_<

@Deb: I also find myself watching horror films just because of the beautiful houses they play in.  <_<

<giggling> Everyone else is jumping at the killer and you're ooooooohing and aaaahing over the wainscotting in the background or a really awesome staircase? hehehehehehee I'm glad to meet someone else who does that. I usually get really funny looks when someone else is telling the tv, "watch out behind that door!" and I'm saying, "Oh wow, check out that antique doorknob!"

Deb

Oh yes ....... I find myself in your description! <_< Too funny! .... Everyone ist turning away from the TV with disgust and I "Oh wow, wouldn't that antique iron bed (where the undead is eating the brain of the young girl without eyes) look great in my bedroom?" .... can happen! :)

Oh I didn't think of Seven or THirteen ghosts and yes those are also good example os films getting under the skin, and I can also see myself in the "well look at tthat detail" situation but I think that is one way to escape from the icky bits LOL. Then there is the film House of the thousand corpses" let me just say ick and double ick about that!!! DH likes those really dark and scary movies and me too at times but every now and then ot gives me the creeps.

I saw the film "Cidade de Deus" rougholy translated "City of God" about those street kids in Brasil and phew that was also a tough one to watch since it is a "true" story behind it.

Well, back to the minis then to see if the glue is dry yet...

Mini-hugs <_<

LOL Anne - see I'd be the one hugging my pillow and hiding my eyes and you'd be oohing and ahhing over furniture LOL - I love hitchcock but the new psychological horrors.. just send me right over the edge - I can watch a monster movie where people get ripped appart and sleep like a baby.. but after seeing just half of Seven.. I was too freaked to sleep - gave me the shivers!! LoL and guys are supposed to be tough :lol: And unfortuantely even Brad Pit isn't enough to take my mind of those grisly murders.

:D -David

I'd have to say those types of movies don't really bother me, like we used to say, it's the flesh and blood types that are more scarey than the ghosts! :lol: The one that comes to mind is Sleepy Hollow.......I hated and loved it, mainly because the graphic effects were so real! Also the headless horseman was pretty gorey, and all those heads being chopped off. Johnny Depp was good in that movie.

I have a very active imagination and can easily scare the beejeebees out of myself, so I don't need any extra "material" to work with! 
Im with you there!!

I do like some thriller books but its easier to detach my self from them.

see I'd be the one hugging my pillow and hiding my eyes

yup thats me...and they all laugh at me.

Johnny Depp was good in that movie

and which movie isnt he??

hubba hubba....so funny to have the same feeling about some movie star that your 14 yr old daughter does :(:D

nutti :lol:

Johnny Depp played a great part in Sleepy Hollow. I'm not crazy about him as a heart throb, however. Emilio Estevez would take that, in Young Guns. Also, Lou Diamond Phillips. And we might as well throw in the guy from the mummy, Brandon Fraser, I think his name is. But Johnny Depp plays great characters--look at Edward Scissorhands. now that was weird. Another heartthrob type is Billy Zane.

all this talk of Brad Pitt brings to mind that Shania Twain song, 'who do you think you are? Brad Pitt??' :lol: He was great in the vampire movie with Tom Cruise though. Now THAT was a great movie horror wise.

I still love to watch the old 30's and 40's flicks, with the old black and white--Frankenstein and the mummy with Basil Rathbone were the good old horror flicks. Nothing like that and a bowl of popcorn on Halloween.

@ Nutti:

hubba hubba....so funny to have the same feeling about some movie star that your 14 yr old daughter does 

Haha .... too funny! :D:D

Johnny and Brad are really great actors! Yes... and good-looking too! :D But my favorite is and will always be Leonardo DiCaprio! :(

Oooops... the topic was scary movies ... sorry! :lol:

I still love to watch the old 30's and 40's flicks, with the old black and white--Frankenstein and the mummy with Basil Rathbone were the good old horror flicks. Nothing like that and a bowl of popcorn on Halloween.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh Basil Rathbone! I loved him in every movie I ever saw him in! What an actor!! And he's still the only Sherlock Holmes to me :lol: One of the best things about him was that even as the huge star he was as he got older he wasn't 'too good' to poke some fun at horror movies and appeared in lots of comedic horror spoofs - my favorite of this genre is The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini with Basil Rathbone and Boris Karloff - two incredibly awesome actors that managed to bridge the gap between the classic horrors and the 60's swinging kids :D

-David circa 1963 LOL

One movie that I've seen that is a mind twister is this horror flick called 'Mimic' about these giant bugs that ate people, and 'mimic' our behavior. It was a little repetitive, but on the suspense side, it kept you one the edge of your seat.

Some of the Alfred Hitchcock movies were not only funny, (he always used to put himself in them in bit parts) but really kept you on the edge of your seat. Some of what the movie theaters term as 'horror ' is just plain gore, so not that entertaining.

I must say my favorite Movie (In a long time) was War Of The Worlds. Boy did I really get into that movie!

Tom Cruise played a Horrible Father in that movie (In My Opinion) but he played the part very well as an Actor. He was a creep and kept leaving his kids alone, I mean shesh, the first sign of trouble, being the mother hen I am, I gather my Chicks close to me. He was running around the town looking at the things as they unfolded :lol: .

Yeap I was squeezing hubbys hand the whole movie. I felt stressed after seeing that movie. As if I had been through it all myself :D I LOVED it! :( The director did a GREAT Job.