Fireplace Class HERE!!

Tracy, I'm sorry you've been ill! :( Of course the painting can wait, but I'll check out your blog just because I want to see!! :rolleyes:

Hope you're feeling better soon!!!!!!! <_<

tonight my sister in law came to visit.

as she lives an hour away we always plan something for a nice visit.

she is a newly born miniaturist. she really enjoyed helping me Wth my Haunted house display. so for her birthday..conveniently the day after mine I gifted her with my Primrose kit.

tonight we started it. and one of the things we did is make Tracy's Fireplace

well our version of it. we made 2 a small one for the bedroom

and a large one for the livingroom.

post-9-1131264669_thumb.jpg

all done...I used the airfreshner can to roll my paperclay

and do you see my constant companion while doing anything mess for my hands.

My sil always has a good lol at my exspense because of my aversion to getting my hands yucky. as much as I love the way paperclay makes things look.

thats how much I hate the way my hands feel when working with it(blleeeecchh)

post-9-1131264883_thumb.jpg

Ruby's bedroom fireplace.

post-9-1131264979_thumb.jpg

nutti's Livingroom fireplace.

This was a great class!!

Thanks sooo much!!!

nutti ;)

I meant pizza for the family so Tracy could rest . . . not pizza for her! Blech . . . is right!! ;)

Nutti, your fireplaces look fantastic!! Hope you and sis will share pictures as the house progresses!! :lol:

Terri, here is the link to the Fireplace structure building & assembly:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...findpost&p=8421

I will merge everything in my blogs soon!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Tracy much appreciated. I am just gathering up all the info and then will try it once I have the full instuctions.

We just did a small foamcore fireplace at our mini meeting but we never covered it with anything. I think this process will get a much nicer look, thanks for sharing this.

I will be watching for the painting instructions to come :D

Have been following this thread and how to work with paperclay closely, love the result and how it looks and I do think it would be an approproate exterior for the haunted house kit as well. Now to my question, where oh where could one possibly find this lovley medium? I.e a place that ships over the sea to Sweden without it costing a fortune? So far I have had no luck trying to find a source locally :) but I am still searching around.

Hugs

Anna, If you can get your hands on an old but stil-working blender or food processor to dedicate JUST for craft use, you can shred newsprint and put it in a pot & fill it with water & boil it, when the water is cool enough to feel like body temperature pour off the excess water & whiz your newsprint mash in the blender/ processor until it's mush, then mix it with water & white glue in equal amounts until you can roll it in a ball that holds its shape and you have papermache you can play with. The nice thing about paperclay, DAS, etc is that someone has already done all that & then dehydrated it & ground it into powder tht can be reconstituted at a cost roughly five to ten times the cost of the newsprint + glue (ah, but think of the convenience of not having to take the time & effort to make such a mess!). I usually don't get to the cooking/ blending stage, I usually use strip-paper papermache, but I can't really sculpt with it :)

This sounds like it might be do-able! I have a mixer/blender kind of thing, I got t a loooong time ago when my brother thought we should be trying out differnet drinks and serve in those fancy-smanschy glasses with umbrealls etc (I do use the umbrealls but that is another matter, they get re-formatted for my ladies needs)

When I make paper mache though I make it out of the paper on toles (not the roles used in the kitchen, they have a glue in them that won't allow the fibres to separate) or tissues, I feel that it gets so much softer that way, hadn't thought about adding glue and boiling water to it.

Will have to print this one out so and try it out later on when I am getting to finish the haunted house kit.

Hugs

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Russell, please do drop in at the newcomers' Forum and introduce yourself to everybody! We're so glad to have you here, and I have built a couple of Orchids, and my next project is to rebuild one built originally with hot glue and now falling to pieces!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...