Dollhouses and Math

Cuppa-Tea

I jsut have to share... today for my teaching class I did a sample teaching lesson on scale and proportion using some dollhouses. I brought in my 1" scale log cabin, my 1/2" scale lightkeeper's house and box I plan to use (someday) for 1/4" scale townhouse. Then I also brought in a chair in each scale and passed them around. We made charts showing the relationship between full-size items and the size of models in each of the smaller scales, listing various heights such as an 8' ceiling, a 3' chair, etc.

I talked about the scale ratio (ex. 1"=1') and the scale proportion (1/12) and how you can use the scale ratio to figure out the scale proportion, and how the scale proportion is independent of units (Just divide by twelve regarding of whether you are using the English or metric systems, for example). Then I brought out a Barbie doll which we measured and used to calculate the scale ratio (2"=1') for Barbies, and created a chart for that showed the sizes for all the things we already did in other scales.

Then, I tied all this to the concept of dependent and independent variables, and using X and Y notation to write equations for each scale relationship we had discussed. I talked about how the actual size of the full-sized items (X) is independent of the scaled down size (Y) of the models, and how the relationship between the sizes is determined by the scale ratio. In other words, the size of the chairs in my dining room doesn't change regardless of what miniature scale I duplicate it in, but the size of the miniature chair varies according to scale.

The class loved it! The class was composed of other teaching students, but the lesson was aimed at 8th graders in pre-algebra. I am so happy! It was a major portion of my grade. And I even had people come up to me afterwards saying that they suddenly understood things that they hadn't before about fractions and that they wished that I had been their eighth grade teacher. I was so happy... and so relieved!!!!

Anyway, I just had to share how math and minis helped me in school! :lol:

Christine, that's wonderful! The best part of teaching, I think, is when you see the lights go on and the students get that "Aha!" look in their eyes. Congratulations for nailing it!!

<patting you on the back for a job well done!>

You could also use the lesson to teach geometry with similar polygons, shapes, etc. You could go into the area and volume of your objects and get the proportions squared and cubed.

Sounds like it was a great lesson. Congrats!!

Congratulations!!

Way to go teach!

*i stink at algebra*

If you can build dollhouses, you can do algebra. You are actually doing algebra without even realizing it. That was the point I was trying to get across last night. You could do it Heidi! I know you could. Fortunately, though, you probably don't need to now. Isn't it great to be a grown up??? :lol:

You could also use the lesson to teach geometry with similar polygons, shapes, etc. You could go into the area and volume of your objects and get the proportions squared and cubed.

Absolutely. I could probably get a reputation as the "Dollhouse Math Teacher." I'd have to work the G.I. Joe's in there, too, though if I don't want to lose the boys along the way. DH has military figures in several scales as well.

That is great! I may need to try this with my guys. Hmmmm. Now I need to get some smaller scale stuff. I guess a trip to the dh store is very necessary! It's for "school"!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Traci

That is great! I may need to try this with my guys. Hmmmm. Now I need to get some smaller scale stuff. I guess a trip to the dh store is very necessary! It's for "school"!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Traci

Oh yes, definitely, you have to buy some smaller scale "visual aids." Be sure to save the reciepts for taxes!!!!!! :imstupid: