stupid unreal commercials

grazhina

There was another thread about advertising, mentioning those danged pharmaceutical ones.

How about other commercials?

I just saw one that I hadn't seen for a while. It always ticks me off.

It's for paper towels. The boy has just sprayed his mother with soda from a 2 liter pop bottle, so she gets him back with the sprayer from the sink and a battle ensues..oh...what fun....

have you ever had to clean up the mess from an exploded pop bottle?

Have you ever had to clean up the mess when a faucet comes apart and water shoots up into the air, hits the ceiling and rains on the kitchen ?

Obviously the people who made up this commercial and decided to air it didn't.

all i can think when i see that commercial is "wow, what a great thing to teach children to try to do their parents" and they would think it was fun because the commercial shows it being so much fun. so many of the commercials these days are just plain stupid.....

As a matter of fact I have cleaned up an exploded soda bottle it was not fun! The girls went to girl scout camp this summer and they made rootbeer. It had to sit out for so many days and then be in the fridge for so many days after that. Well, we left for a few days and came back and the glass..GLASS...bottle had exploded all over the kitchen. It has been a month and I am still finding peices of glass stuck to the walls and in corners of the counter.

I am sure some man made that commercial...idiot! :unsure:

I dont watch tv so I haven't seen it but ya, it sounds pretty dumb. I get sick of hearing the stupid comercials on the radio. Wow there are a lot of them. One is a lady talking about how she did not get what she wanted for mothers day so "Woman Unite," she is going to shop at this certain store for fathers day and get herself something. Wow! That realy paints women in a good light. (that was sarcasm sometimes it is hard to pick up with writing) What happened to, it is not the gift but the thought behind it that counts.

My husband can't stand the Geico gecko....although I find him adorable. What I can't stand is when I'm watching a show and every commerical break they show the SAME commercials over and over and over!!!

I've given up trying to watch movies on tv...every 6 minutes there is a commercial break...I've timed it. 4 minutes of commercials..the SAME ones every time...then 6 more minutes of the show.

One commercial that makes me upchuck every time I see it is the Burger King commercial...I absolutely HATE the burger KING.....so much so that I refuse to eat there!!!

Now I have to admit, I chuckle every time I see the Enzyte Smiling Bob commercials...I kinda find them amusing!

Over the years I have seen some really hilarious commericals...but by and large they are stupid and irritating. One commercial really got me going once. It was a commercial for Quilted Northern toilet paper. They had the women sitting around a quilt, supposedly quilting....but they were using KNITTING NEEDLES!!! I could not BELIEVE that no one caught the error before it was aired!!! And who in the world got the idea that a quilt was quilted with KNITTING NEEDLES!!! Apparently, someone clued up, because a short time later, it had been corrected.

Seriously, they need to hire new advertising people for some of these companies...

The kid with the soda bottle is one of the top all time stupid commercials ever aired. I don't know a woman on this planet that would let this monster get away with that. If he was my kid, he would be cleaning the kitchen, floor to ceiling for the rest of his natural life, and not with the brand of paper towels in the ad. Of course I'd probably be reported for child abuse.

We hate most all commercials here, too. I am lucky, for some reason, ever since my kids were little, they would see a commercial and go, "Yeah, right, they're just trying to get our money. It's not really all that great!" I guess we have raised them to be cynical about advertising. :unsure:

We especially hate the Hardee's ads that paint men as Neanderthals. Helpless in the kitchen, and too stupid keep from starving without fast food. Oh, and the one where all the guys are in the repair shop, laughing at the "cheater" whose ex-girlfriend apparently vandalized his car. My son (12) is totally offended by them. And, they exaggerate the crunching and chewing sounds while they eat. Gross!

And, yeah, as a mom I find the soda fight one ridiculous. I like being a laid back mom, but that is brain dead!

I guess mostly the gender bashing is what gets us. I know it's all supposed to be in fun, but this stuff gets into the subconscious and can't be healthy. Especially to kids. Showing men or women (or anyone!) in negative sterotypes is something I would hope people would be getting past. At least when we do happen to see something like this, it gives us a good opportunity to discuss it with the kids.

Traci

The commercials that bug me the most are the ones for allergy meds that show happy people in just the place they shouldn't be. If they'd stay out of the lovely fields of flowers and give the cat away, they maybe wouldn't NEED the meds. Such blatant playing to the I-want-it-all generation really turns me off.

the Insurance cavemen are getting a show? I like those commercials because they are funny but not a half an hour a week funny.
I do NOT like the Geico "caveman" commercials nor think they are funny, the first time I saw one I thought, this is racist & denigrating and disquising it as humor by having the butts of the "joke" be cavemen doesn't excule it one tiny bit. I liked the English gecko much better than the Australian one, BTW. At one time, briefly, there was a paper towel commercial where the kid dropped whatever it was on the kitchen floor and made a godawful mess and the mom handed him the roll of paper towels to clean up his own mess. I guess the advertisers didn't like the message it sent (who wants to teach people responsibility for their mistakes?).

The purpose of a commercial is to part the viewer from just as much of his money as is possible, and someone found out that people remember "entertaining" commercials the longest.

I agree that the exploding soda bottle commercial is really stupid....and I don't care much for the caveman commercials either...but the one that I reallllllllly just don't get, maybe I'm too old, is the one for Levi jeans....there's a guy in his apartment, pulling his jeans up...when he does, a phone booth with a woman inside, comes crashing up from the floor...he pulls the jeans down again (the phone booth goes away), then pulls them up all the way, I guess it's supposed to be the street being brought up to his level when he does this...when the dust & debris clears, theres the phone booth...HUH??? I DON'T GET IT!!! Is it me or am I just stupid???

I too, prefer the gekkos to the cavemen.

Something else bothers me about commercials. Everyone in Commercialand lives in a big, gorgeous house. What happened to ads with real looking people living in real looking houses, the kind that most people live in?

I feel this promotes the wrong idea in young people. Maybe it's why I've seen so many young couples with small children driving economy priced cars trying to buy large, very expensive houses, then being heartbroken when they can't get a mortgage. Or even worse, struggling to make those payments.

DH and I were married for 6 years before we could buy our first house, a small brick ranch, and we were just tickled pink.

I have seen over my lifetime commercials on TV, advertising in general and entertainment of all kinds reach the lowest possible level of what used to be called common decency. There has always been smut, crudeness, poor taste et al, but not in our livingrooms over cable systems we pay for. Some of this stuff is so vile and disquised as acceptable simply because people put up with it, it frightens me. There is a passage in the Bible that speaks of a time when men will no longer even blush. The time has come. How do we change it? Boycotts, bumper stickers, just turn the set off? There are times I feel an overwhelming sadness about the state of the world. This sadness is not fixed with Prozac, etc. It's situational. Advertising has reached the absolute bottom and it's everywhere. I tried to read the news about the bridge collapse on AT&T Yahoo the other night and right next to it, 1/2 the screen , was a woman's rear and large letters SEXY. I called AT&T and told them this was totally uncalled for and the lowest level of taste, and was told by someone I could barely understand that they were working on it. God help us. :unsure:

One of my all time what??? commercials was the one where Paris Hilton naughty washes a car while naughty eating a burger. I am not a person who is easily offended either! How you stop it? Send an email to the corporation, then STOP buying the companies product or let them know you choose another brand because of the commercial. Also tell your friends. Carl JR pulled that ad pretty quick!

I don't watch television any longer, but I certainly remember the commercials I used to see. Some of them seemed geared at making people look ignorant and I found that very offensive. I read an article recently that was about a test conducted using 3 to 5 yrs old children. The took certain foods from McDonalds and put them into McD. wrappers and plain wrappers. The majority of the children said that the food in the McD. wrapper tasted better. It showed how advertising is focusing on children younger and younger in an attempt to get more $$.

I've got to admit, I liked the commercial. Reminded me of something my brother would have done. Not sprayed my Mother, mind you, but I could see him aiming the bottle at my sister or me. I could also see either one of us retaliating with the sprayer hose.

Now granted, I could also see all of us afterward with not paper towels, but mops and brooms scrubbing the ceiling, walls and floors under the very watchful and angry eyes of my Mother.

I don't watch television much either, but the news. However, the commercial that just makes me ill, is the one where a guy is pretending to be a cat. The one where he is covering up in the litter box is the absolute worse. If my cat was starving, I wouldn't use that one. What really annoys me is that they must think we are all functioning at a very low mental level. Show the product and if it is a good one, it will sell itself. Thats' my rant for the nite.

Shirley

*in walks Paul Michael Glaser "Starsky"*

You are stuck on a treadmill.

You are making minimum payments on your credit cards....blah blah blah.

OMG I hate this one cause they show it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I really dont want to offend anyone but I hate the way Wilferd Brimley says Diabetes..Dia-beetis! Maybe it is a regional thing. It is a pet peeve and the family starts laughing whenever the med-mailing commercial comes on.

There is one commercial that makes me laugh a lil though. It is the one with the actor that played Rhoda`s husband (I am making myself look really old now). He has the milking machine hooked up to his *udders* and he is eating Sour Skittles and the farmer tells him he is making all the milk sour. He looks at him like "Eh! Deal with it buddy. Not my problem"

I agree with Pat - commercials, and tv programs in general, have hit an all time low. We are so sick of Billy Mays and his very loud commercials, the cave men, the 'apply directed where it hurts', etc., etc., etc. It seems to me that companies are paying commercial writers to see who can have the stupidest commercial being shown. The new one from Pepsi, with all the people yawning loudly, is right up there with the kid and the orange soda. Why companies will pay big money to make humans look stupid is beyond me! If I do happen to be watching tv, and any of them come on, I hit the mute button.

Why in the world doesn't someone do a survey about the commercials people dislike, and change their ways! If I owned a company, I certainly would not be throwing away all that money just so people can hit the mute button!

Have you noticed there are more commercials? Especially at the beginning of the shows..

That is because Nielsen started this thing..they are rating the commercials now..Not just the shows!

Sickening..thank goodness for dvr. You can pause your live show..go do something for 10 min. and then come back and buzz thru the commercials.

I also hate most of the commercials out there today but I must say, the ones that bother me the most are the ones where kids are telling me how to invest my money. The one where the kid wakes his family up in the night worried about how the family's money is being invested and then says he'll tuck himself back into bed. It makes me want to scream!