11/01/05 Dollhouses

Minis On The Edge

Hmmm. I have the RGT Victorian Townhouse, which one panel opens in the front. But, I prefer the openings in the back. That way I don't have to worry about making sure things match on the wall that swings open ...

PS, do I win something by answering that question?

LOL!

I don't like the plain, blank, solid back of the front-opening dhs. I'm adapting a Craftsman layout into a front- & back-opening dollhouse because I want the doors & windows and I want access (the house will be two rooms deep & two or so rooms wide when done), but I also want it to look like a house when it's done (it's for me, so I'm the only one who cares).

Otherwise I have ALWAYS preferred the open backs.

I would like the front opening house because of dust....I hate to do it!

DH said once I have my house(s) how I want them he will make me Plexiglas

backs so I dont have to fight the dust and little fingers.

lol

also it would be nice not to have to worry about turning it so peeps could see inside.

but I do like the back opened houses

ok here it is....if its a dollhouse with lots of fiddly bits Im bound to love it...front or back opening! ;)

nutti :blink:

I guess I go for the ones open on the back, or they have a door on the back. Open backed dollhouses are open invitations for little curious cats about here......

Chris prefers the English styled ones that open on the front......I think from a build point of view.

Well I always have known dollhouses to have the open back. A front opening dollhouse is also a cool idea but still undecided onw hich I prefer seeing Iam only on my first dollhouse. :blink:

Lyn

I would love to have a front- AND back-opening dollhouse too where dust has no chance! ;) That would be a dream! Generally I prefer the dollhouses with the open back but maybe that's just because I prefer the American to the European dollhouses! Not sure! :blink:

I've only had the front opening houses - I really do like the look of the European front opening ones... at least from their photos in magazines. I think it might be a hard choice for me. When I was a kid my friends granddad built her mom a house.. it was the Pepperwood Farm (I think that's what it was called) it opened both front and back and part of the roof opened up too. That was ideal!! you could get to it from all sides but it was big. I guess I'm undecided on this one.

-David

Personally, I like front opening houses better. Then again I have a load of kids and cats so it is just safer that way. I have to say though that there have been a few slot and tab houses I wish I could make front opening. There is alot more selection in back opened houses.

I don't care for front opening houses. So far, all that I have seen look all alike on the inside, they don't seem to have that certain charm that the back opening houses have. Although if you have pets, they might be a good idea. Fortunately, my Sydney (Australian Shepherd) is far too large.

Wendy

If I had to choose I'd say back-opening, but in general I think both front and back-opening houses are too flat. I like houses that have a bit of depth, like a real house.

The ones I like best are the ones that are sort of square and open on more than one side - like the Fairfield or RGT's contemporary ranch. Feels more like a real house to me.

Hmm, I have two front opening, two multi access, and three back opening and I think I prefer the front and multi access ones. The back opening ones I always have the opening facing out and I rarely look at the fronts anymore. Too much trouble to turn them around.