Garfield noob questions

tp1

Fantastic job, isn't it? It's how I wanted to build a Garfield or an Annabelle something with porches and verandas, with proper turned spindles not the cheezey plywood punchouts but it's out of my bracket and now that someone else has picked up on my idea, taken over the job and assumed the expenses I don't have to :) (How's THAT for humour early in the am?)

Well 5 months and Im trying to place what im going to do with the inside. I know this being a Victorian house I want to use allot of reds and maroons. I know for sure I want it cluttered. But with tasteful elegance. This is a mock up theres going to be some walls added.

post-2278-1197175658_thumb.jpg

post-2278-1197175691_thumb.jpg

tp, I have another question about your photography. The last picture of the lamp through the window is especially clear. ALthough it is obvious you used a macro focus, it doesn't seem like you used any flash. A lot of people don't use a flash because it over saturates the colors in a picture, especially in a close up. My question is; how do you keep the image from blurring without a flash? DO you use a tripod or keep the camera still when you are taking your images?

You Garfield is really amazing! I have been watching your build and am amazed at all the changes you have been making. Beautiful work!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to the website. Hope this is how you post.

That gazebo idea sounds great. Do you create roof access with it or change the accessibility?

I too am building a Garfield. It belonged to my mother back in the late 1980's. She got sick and never really got into the building of it. I'm adapting it for the next generation. I am building using a combination of the Garfield and Orchid kits together to create a bigger house so all five of my grandchildren can have their own rooms. The Orchid is being attached at the living room end of the Garfield thru an archway - finished dimensions yet to be determined - and on the 2nd floor thru a door using one of the original window slots creating access to a master bath on the top floor of the Orchid.

My biggest dilemma has been trying to create access to the front corner rooms after completion of the Garfield section. I'm in the process of creating a false front for the porch area that will lift out from under the room trim using the original house pieces. The inner wall structures are cut from 1/4" sandply using the shape of the original pieces and just cutting out the centers. The problems I'm encountering are doubling of the porch floor creating a door problem and the stability of the front piece when it is off the house.

Has anyone replaced the stairs with a premade unit? The one with the kit is quite non-descript and I'd like something more 3-D.

ShrlyHmLok

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey great work on the Garfield! I'm in the process of building it myself. I have the hardwood on, the ceramic on and the carpet. I have just started sanding the pieces for the windows...and man are they ugly!!! I remember when I bought the kit 3 years ago or so for my daughter (she's very patient), I did not purchase the set of functioning windows and doors that came separately. I contacted Greenleaf last year and was told that the manufacturer was no longer making them. Does anyone out there know how I can get my hands on some of these windows and doors...would appreciate any advice. I have gone on some other sites and they are never the same size as the windows that i need. I cant cut the tower openings to refit different sized windows.

Cheers

Bill, when I got a Pierce to rehab I also got a box with the Timberbrook working windows to use and was so unimpressed with their appearance, I'm going to bash the regular kit windows and make my own doors, instead.