11/03/05 Where Are You??

Minis On The Edge

Nope--that's the one. Rumour has it a big band was in town, and one of the musicians fell for a local gal, and wrote the song on the train to their next gig in Chicago. The other story is that the composer wrote it to tease his buddy.

I'm in Virginia Beach, Virginia. I've lived here for over twenty years, which makes me almost a native. This is a Navy town and there aren't a lot of folks who are actually 'from' "The Beach." (My hometown's nickname does crack me up! Like it's the only beach town!)

I grew up in Gaithersburg, Maryland, a suburb of Washington DC that was actually more of a farm town when I was a kid. No more. The only miniatures store I've ever visited, Forever Friends, is in that area in Olney, MD. It's more of an online store and its physical location in the basement of a home, but I thought I was in paradise for a couple of hours! It was packed to the gills with mini goodness! (They were lovely about it, but probably thought I was never going to leave!)

I haven't seen anyone on the forum who's closer than central NC. Any other Virginians?

About the map... There is an alternative to FRAPPR, the application used for the previous map and the forum might want to consider adopting it even though we would be starting fresh. (I haven't been here long enough to know who makes decisions about this stuff!) Unfortunately, the historical membership map data are probably gone with the fold of FRAPPR. Anyway, the other mapping application is called MyGuestMap and it's at http://mapservices.org/myguestmap . It would be lovely to see a visual representation of where everyone is located... I love that the GL community has members from all over the globe!

Jackie, Traci/ New Day is in the Richmond area, we have visited her some times on our way to visit the son who lives in Burke. In 2006 we were in VA Beach for a couple of weeks which DH counted waste tires along a 100-mile stretch to finish up a consultation he was doing for your state's Dept of Environmental Quality. I remember the comforting sound of F-18s flying over the RV park we were camped in!

• Like 1

You must have been at the KOA by Oceana! Around here. some folks actually have bumper stickers that say "I :throb: Jet Noise." lol.

The first day I lived hear I was unpacking boxes on the second floor of our rental house, and I actually hit the floor when I heard a jet fly over! I thought it was going to take the roof off. We did buy a house in a low noise zone -- but after a month in the rental, I didn't really notice the jets anymore. Amazing what we can filter out.

Thanks for telling me about Traci - I'll be on the lookout for her!

We don't "do" KOA; if it's not state or national park or forest we'll hit a bare bones place, since mostly what we do is hike, bike or paddle. I love the sound of our military protecting us!

• Like 2

My late father was in the Air Force,one tour,and then was a civil service electronics engineer,working at Air Force bases most of his career,so jets overhead evoke very comforting,yet bittersweet memories for me.:)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

USAF aircraft noise = sound of freedom! took me years after I retired from the AF to go to sleep-------no aircraft noise Oh and I am in the bootheel of Misery.......That's Missouri to most people. Would rather be in SoCA or FL. I would even be happy in Valdosta GA with one of my daughters. OK, it's 1:12AM time for sleep. I hope

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up in Gaithersburg, Maryland, a suburb of Washington DC that was actually more of a farm town when I was a kid.

I haven't seen anyone on the forum who's closer than central NC. Any other Virginians?

I've got one for ya... I was named after a town in Maryland (Cheverly, obviously... think it's a suburb of Washington?), and I was born in the Blacksburg/Radford area. We lived in VA until I was about 2 and then moved to Texas.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Virginia Beach, Virginia. I've lived here for over twenty years, which makes me almost a native. This is a Navy town and there aren't a lot of folks who are actually 'from' "The Beach." (My hometown's nickname does crack me up! Like it's the only beach town!)

I grew up in Gaithersburg, Maryland, a suburb of Washington DC that was actually more of a farm town when I was a kid. No more. The only miniatures store I've ever visited, Forever Friends, is in that area in Olney, MD. It's more of an online store and its physical location in the basement of a home, but I thought I was in paradise for a couple of hours! It was packed to the gills with mini goodness! (They were lovely about it, but probably thought I was never going to leave!)

About the map... There is an alternative to FRAPPR, the application used for the previous map and the forum might want to consider adopting it even though we would be starting fresh. (I haven't been here long enough to know who makes decisions about this stuff!) Unfortunately, the historical membership map data are probably gone with the fold of FRAPPR. Anyway, the other mapping application is called MyGuestMap and it's at http://mapservices.org/myguestmap . It would be lovely to see a visual representation of where everyone is located... I love that the GL community has members from all over the globe!

I'm not too far from you. Fairfax County

• 2 weeks later...