8/24/07 Addiction

Oh.... I am also addicted to viewing the screen at the bottom of the homepage showing gallery pictures :popcorn: :hmm:

YEP, That is me... I sat here for an hour the other day just refreshing the screen.!!!

Kellee

I have a new addiction -- its name is Greenleaf! It's hard to pinpoint one part of miniatures that is addictive; kind of like asking an alcoholic what part of the beverage keeps him on the bar stool. JUST BRING ME THE MINIS! Addiction #1 would be: I see miniature settings everywhere. My mother has an empty fish tank; no more fish but she keeps the tank. I envision a beachfront hotel in it. Addiction #2 would be: I like things to be realistic; a jacket tossed across a bed, toys left out, a snack plate and cup in the sink -- don't want everything looking pristine and unnatural. I want my minis to look lived-in. :blink:

Hard to say. I love hunting for accessories or things that can be made into accessories. But the more i build, the more I want to build, instead of finishing the house I bought all the accessories for!

And I love the gallery pictures at the bottom of the home page, too!

• 1 year later...

I luvvvvv things that work like they are supposed to in real life.

and i spend a awful lot of hours on forums, like this one, 'cause i always suspect there to be new techniques that i did not know of and want to learn.

in reality, i do not learn much new techniques there, but i get caught in other peoples lives,reading about their happines or sorrow or grief.

i should spend that time on my dollhouse but by the time i realize that the evening is over. like now. :hug:

well, for me, it's opening the shop door, and smelling wood!!! that's what get's me going!!! also, the challenge of creating something from wood, that i have seen.... either an idea in my head, or a picture. can i do this? well, i'm sure gonna try.

dave

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My addiction is designing and creating furniture (usually modern). Overall, I generally enjoy the building process of a dollhouse or the furniture much more than collecting them. Its great fun and I just love to learn new techniques and making them as perfect to scale as possible.

• 1 month later...

Have to agree with the over all idea that there is no one thing about minis that is addicting -- it's the entirety of the experience as a whole. I started out on my niece's Laurel really excited, but honestly scared when I saw all those little parts... But the addicting part for me so far has been in the building itself, seeing the house come together from pieces to a whole. Then there's the second point I've realized that after visiting sites such as dollhouse on a shoestring and whatnot, I find myself looking at so much that I would've considered junk or soon to be trash like bottle caps -- and creating mini tables, lights, clocks, etc. I find that incredibly addicting as well -- the possibilities and what I choose to do with them for the house...

• 2 weeks later...

Jolie, jump in & TRY them! I have five HUGE three-ring binders FULL of DIY projects I've collected over the years from all the mini magazines that have fallen into my hands, and now I make everything I can that goes into my dollhouses.

I've developed a major addiction to artisan-made mini-beds...the more detailed the better. My fave artists are Kelly Curtis and Lorraine Scuderi. If I could afford June Clinkscales beds I'd have a few of those too.

I wish there were 1/2 scale houses on CL,I'd love to get a couple to "rescue",but no one seems to have smaller scales.

Every time I go in any store I am always looking for things I can use in my dollhouses,I go straight for the tiny things :clap:

One of the thrift stores had a wee Avon box with a half dozen brass-colored charms, most of them 1:12 scale range, but there was a coffee mill that I cut off the loop and set it on the shelf next to the stove in the Fairfields' kitchen and it's a perfect size. Look long & hard at those cards of beads & charms in the big box craft stores, April.

Holly,I was in Michael's a few months back and in the jewlery section I found a card of sterling teapots,tiny little things.There were 4 teapots and two goblets.They even had the teapots so the ring went through the handle.I used those in the mauve dining room in the Cardboard house...lined them up on the sideboard. :clap:

I look closely when I go to thrift stores,we have three in our area.I haven't found much of interest yet.Oh,I did find a box of upholstry samples once.....$.17 each...I bought all I liked,made good rugs and I covered two Rosedals chairs with it too.

• 1 year later...