11/05/05 Comfort Food

Minis On The Edge

What is your favorite "comfort" food?

Is there something that make you feel so good when you eat it, that just for that moment, everything seems alright?

My comfort food is anything Chocolate :rolleyes: . I even feel good to just bake the cake or brownies and don't even "need" to eat a lot of it (Last year, I needed to eat it all to feel the effects of comfort from it LOL).

Top of the list is chocolate-covered halvah bars. It was a struggle yesterday not to go back for a second one because my writing project was annoying me.

Two many second choices... you can tell I'm from California, though, as not one of my second choice dishes counts as mainstream American food.

At the top of my list would be chocolate!

When I'm feeling homesick though, I crave my mom's perogies and cabbage rolls! Nothing like good 'ol Ukranian food to give me a warm fuzzy feeling!! :rolleyes:

My favorite comfort foods, which are all "no-no" now (although I'm finding ways to make some of them within our diet parameters) and mac & cheese and chili, my alltime fave is a big pile of nachos with all the trimmings.

Second would be any semisweet dark chocolate.

Mmmm... Perogies....

I think for me, at least for now (what I'm craving at the moment) is baked rice pudding that my mom used to make. Served hot with a little vanilla ice cream on top doesn't hurt either, lol. DH likes it too so I'll have to see if he's in the mood for some and I'll make it even tho it is a little labor intensive, well, no more than perogies I guess (gonna learn how to make those one of these days!).

Trudi

Trudi, perogies are SO easy to make! If you like I can email you a recipe and instructions! If you can roll out dough and boil potatoes, you're half way there!! ;)

I think I have some left in the freezer . . . I'm going to have to pull them out . . . I have a perogy craving now!! :lol:

nutti, Teresa can probably explain better but they are a triangular shaped dough with potatoes & cheese or potatoes and onions (you can get many different variations for the insides) mashed well inside and then you can boil them or fry them and they are just simply delicious. I had some the other day that had cod fish and potatoes inside. Oh, they were to die for!! You eat them with sour cream and bacon or fried onions or mushrooms on the side.

Here's a website

http://www.polkafestperogies.com/

Trudi, perogies are SO easy to make!  If you like I can email you a recipe and instructions!

That would be great! I have so many recipes that I've gleaned from the internet, but I love recipes that are family recipes, tried and true and authentic. They are one of DH's favorite foods and I love 'em too so I'd really like to try making them soon.

hmmm they sound wonderful!

I dont have a "favorite" comfort food.

I happen to enjoy it all.

but I do find baking for Thanksgiving and Christmas very relaxing and "comforting"

so my comfort food isnt the eating its the cooking. and I have no preference over which food I like best. its all good!

lol

nutti ;)

Wendy is absolutely right! My favorite is potato and cheese (we use Kraft Cheez Whiz). Then we cut up green onions and lightly sautee them and then add lots of butter (not margarine) to the onions until it is melted. We put heaping spoons of sour cream on top of the perogies and then pour the onion/butter mixture over top. Yummy!! You can also add some bacon bits if you like!

Wendy, thanks for the website! It has some interesting combinations in there that I hadn't thought of before!! :lol: Mine don't look like that though. They look more like little triangles with bums!! ;)

You can also put blueberries in them for a dessert perogy and top it with whipped cream! Oh, the possibilites are endless!!

Trudi, PM me your email address and I'll send along my recipe! :lol:

Mmmm... Perogies....

I think for me, at least for now (what I'm craving at the moment) is baked rice pudding that my mom used to make.

Trudi

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? My grandmother used to make that!

Chocolate and ice cream .... put them together and I think I've died and gone to heaven. Summer is rather short up here in Alberta, Canada, and on a particularly hot day, I've been known to stop at the Dairy Queen on the way home and pick up two Pecan Mudslides and bring them home for Ray and I ..... then we just skip dinner. That's an advantage to being grandparents ... we don't have to worry about setting a poor example in nutrition. The grandkids never hear about the ice cream dinners that grammy and grampa occasionally delight in.

When Shalean and Renee are here I always bargain with them ... eat something healthy and then you can have your treat.

What about sharing favourite recipes?

All this talk about comfort food! When we got home this afternoon & DH brought everything in the house I had to fix one of our guilty pleasures, chili cheese fries. It's just layers of frozen frenchfries, sharp cheddar cheese shreds & a can of chili, and bake until the fries are done & the cheese melted.

Ok I've gained 5 lbs just reading all these messages. It all sounds so good and I love it all, chocolate, ice cream, chili cheese fries and now I'll have to try the perogies, that something I've never tried, but now it seems I've been missing out on something very good. LOL

Peggi

:lol: I had to think about this for awhile, because of the many choices, but i guess i'd have to say potato chips, B) any kind, i could eat my weight in them. and also chocolate, :lol: and butter pecan icecream, ;) but given a choice it would be potato chips. :D

I went to brunch with my parents and brother today. I had a waffle and poured loads of maple syrup all over it. I mentioned that as I got older I seemed to be developing more of a sweet tooth. My mother said she remembers that I always had a sweet tooth. She remembered when I was six years old and she wouldn't let me have dessert because I hadn't eaten my dinner. I went up to my room and packed my suitcase to run away from home. I came downstairs and planned on dramatically slamming the door on my way out. My dad was waiting for me by the back door with his car keys in his hand. He told me he'd give me a ride and where was I going. I realized that I didn't have anywhere to go and went back upstairs and unpacked. We had immigrated from England shortly before that incident and I didn't have any relatives or close friends. I still didn't get dessert!!