Majorly cutting some apron strings

heidiiiii

Oh yes, she is fine. She wouldnt have risked her backside to get arrested. In fact the leaders of the organization didnt want any of their core volunteers for this week to do anything to get arrested. Need them for meetings and office work.

Ummm ... this morning's headline: MORE THAN 190 ARRESTED AT D.C. PROTEST (article)

Have you heard from Chelsea?

I saw it on the 11 oclock news last night and immediately thought of Chelsea...glad she's okay!

Chelsea called a little while ago. She told me that she was so exhausted last night she didnt even remember calling me. She is staying with a friend from our area. They are staying at this couples house which she said is very nice. They took them to the Cheesecake Factory. I feel a lil bit less jumpy now that I have all the details (and contact numbers). She will be back on Wednesday.

She said that the people that got arrested only stayed in jail for about 2 hours yesterday.

She is having a blast and eating dairy! She decided that it would be too much trouble to eat vegan while she was there so she is told them she was vegetarian. The couple she is staying with (and everybody else) is making her feel very comfortable. She is the youngest. She said they are treating her like an adult but also looking out for her. She has tried to pay for things like meals but no one will let her. She said she met Ralph Nader and today a bunch of them are going to the Smithsonian. She has been learning the Metro line in the city and hasnt gotten lost. She has a buddy with her which I am happy for.

She said that our chinese food in CT is swill compared to what she has eaten in DC. LOL

I have to work my booty off today and start cleaning (read moving chunks into piles) her room because she is coming home tomorrow instead of Wednesday.

I am glad she had this adventure. I hope she calls again before she leaves. I want her to get the name and address for the couple that she is staying with so she can send them a thank you card.

She is excited also because there is a music festival going on this weekend in our city that she has been talking about for months.

*ahhh! to be young again*

She is home. They left DC at noon yesterday and she strolled in the house at 8pm. She is sleeping like a hibernating bear and I have to go shopping to get some epsom salts for her feet. It was a great experience and she even said that if we ever go to DC with her she knows the metro in and out!

This is the kid that could get lost in her own neighborhood!

I am very happy she had a great trip.

Since I'm more on the other side of the parent-child relationship I think what you are doing is sooooo cool! :) I'm 24 married for a 1 1/2 year and my mom still freaks when I dont check in. She would never let me do something like what your daughter is doing. But on the other hand both my parents were very good at teaching me to be responsible I did not go to collge but I got my dental assistant training so I had something to support myself with.

she knows the metro in and out!
When we go to visit DS#2 we know which color line we're on into the city, and with a Metro map and a tourist map we find our way around! Last time we left our Smart Passes with him so we have them to use when we go back.

• 11 years later...