Mckinley wiring

nuttiwebgal

well my back is glued together and the other parts of the shell are laying on the back waiting... I have lost my Tape wire :lol:

so while Im waiting for the electrical auction I won off of e-bay to get here...Ill keep looking

I guess Ill prime and get the fireplace and staircase ready.

but in the meantime....I need some more wiring help Darrell

Im gonna do this tape wiring thing as you have suggested....but not sure after

I have it run the way you have outlined where to go next.

is this when I decide where and how many lights I will want?

I know I want some sort of ceiling light in every room and be able to plug in

"something" in the bay area of the livingroom.

do I just run the wire up the wall and over to where I want it on the ceiling?

your blog answered my question as to how to connect the 2 peices of wire

thanks so much. Dean wired the Granville for me so this is my first attempt at this type of wiring.

so the stiarcase dosnt go to the 2nd floor...how interresting.

In the Victorianna they do.

if it would not be horrible to ask you or much of a bother could you elaborate with a diagram as to how I might proceed.

Im almost positive I am heading in the right direction.

BTW your Mckinley is looking fab.

cant wait till mine is that far along.

thanks for the help!

nutti ;)

Hi Nutti,

I'm no Darrell, but I can answer one of your questions. I ran the tape wire to where I wanted the ceiling fixtures, then realized that if the fixture has a long cord and plug you have no where to hide it. I would rather run the cord through the ceiling then under the carpet/flooring and to the wall.

An even better way for me, if the cord is long enough, is to run the cord through the ceiling, under the flooring to the outer edge of the support wall, then down the wall throuogh the first floor and plug in underneath the house. I use channel molding (3 sided) to cover the support wall. I leave it loose so I can replace the light if I need to. This also has the advantage of only having to run tape under the house instead of all over. In my Jefferson, I am adding a hinged widow's walk and all the wiring will go inside there. Same theory, just up the support wall instead of down.

Hope this helps.

Carol

hey thanks Carol!

some of the things comming are a couple of those plug your chandilier into the ceiling thingies....not sure how they work but they are suppose to eliminate the excess wires. I ran the wires in the haunted house thru the floor and under the carpeting.

but I also used the hard wire instead of the tape.

its a learning process for sure.

I also want to try Tracy's fireplace logs for the fireplace.

it is my goal on each house to try at least one new something.

so Im very excited about this wiring project.

thnks for the input! I need all the hand holding I can get! :lol:

nutti ;)

nutti,

I think you've got it figured out. There are tab slots in the back wall that each of the floors fit into. Draw a light pencil line along the top edge of these slots and that's where the top of each floor will be. Measuring up one inch from there for each horizontal run of tape should put tape in every room one inch up from the floor. Connect the three horizontal tapes together with one vertical tape. It doesn't really matter where this vertical tape is as long as it connects to each of the other three.

Now go ahead and finish building the shell. Once it's built you should be able to look into each room and see tape wire. ANYPLACE you decide you want power to be available for a plug or a light or anything at all, just run a tape from where you want the power to the closest tape you see in that room. Make the connection (with the power off) and the power should be available on the new tape too.

There really are no limits to where you can run tapes. And as you know it hides easily since it's just flat tape so you don't have to cut any channels to hide wiring. I usually do just as you suggested and run the tape up the wall and across the ceiling to where I want a light and install it there. I cut the plugs off of the chandeliers if they happen to have them, (along with most of the wire) and save it to use later to build home brewed table or floor lamps or to connect something else to power. Some people like to drill holes to the floor above and connect a ceiling light to a tape on the upper floor, but I don't often do that because if the light will have a switch installed on the wall it's most logical for the switch to be in the same room as the light. Usually near the door. And to connnect the switch in this room to a seperate tape on the floor above and then back down to power a light back in this room.

WE put some pictures of the beginnings of our "workaround" wiriing in the McKinley blog and the next section of lighting should be coming along soon. Perhaps the pictures will help.

I hope I've answered your question but I'm not sure if I have. I think you may be thinking there's a correct and an incorrect way to route the tape. There isn't. Run it whereever you wish. The only thing that has to be correct is when you're connecting two tapes together. Once all the tapes are connected together, power connected to any tape any place supplies power to all of the tape network every where it is.

Darrell

ok I have all my supplies

following the original electrical layout where should my junction splice go?

do remeber I have never done this and I am asking no back up from hubby

12 hour days do not allow me dollhouse time with him.

so youre it buddy

I need the step by step "I am a newbie" walk through

thanks so much!

nutti :)

nutti,

You can put the junction splice anyplace. Just remember it needs to be where you can get to it easily and preferably somewher it won't be seen. We put ours under the stairs, through a hole we drilled in the back of the house. Behind the fireplace or anything you plan to put in a specific place and are unlikely to change later are good places.

Then center drawer is open on the bottom so there may be a possibility there. It doesn't matter where it goes as long as it connects power to the main layout of your wiring.

I'll be puttiing some pictures of the installing of a chandelier in the McKinley Blog later on this evening. There's also been some discussion in the electrical sub forum here you may want to read if you haven't.

Darrell