11/8/05 Gas Prices

Minis On The Edge

Gas Prices are finally come down here where I live ($2.39 per Gallon) and I was wondering, have the gas prices effected how much you can spend on your Mini addiction...Uuuu...Errr.... Hobby?

Have you made less trips to your favorite Mini shop since the gas prices sky rocketed?

Well, Tracy, you know I have to travel about an 1 1/2 to do my mini-shopping, other than Hobby Lobby, but the gas prices don't necessarily keep me from going. I usually make a trip about once a month or every other month. Most of my mini-stuff I order online anyway! ;) Sometimes that can be cheaper even with shipping!!

My faves are 40+ miles away, so I could never really go there casually anyway.

I did have a Major Guilt Moment last week when I took the car out and drove to the nearest Michael's (15+ miles each way) instead of waiting until a Tuesday when I'd have other errands down that way. It wasn't so much the $$$ as the knowledge that I was being inefficient.

:lol: Tracy,

I live about 45 mins from Hobby Lobby, but i can't help it i have to go.

Gas is down to about 2.16 here at certain places 2.24 at others, but i just cut back on other things, less important, like clothes and food, LOL ;)

Brenda

The gas prices have not hindered, stopped or slowed my mini projects. I live in a very populated area (Orange County, CA), fortunately or unfortunately, so I have a dollhouse shop five miles away and two Michael's closer than that!

Now, the one thing that has slowed my hobby is being out of work!

No mini shops closer than Orlando & 2 hour drive to the closest Hobby Lobby. It was interesting to note on the way home from visiting DS the very highest gas prices were Linda's state & the lowest in GA.

It makes a difference since we retired & live on a fixed income ;)

I do most of my mini shopping online so far. Seeing the closet hobby shops are either 35 minutes or 45 minutes away from where I live. I have a Mini van 6 cylinder so it costs a bit to fill it up. The gas prices here are 2.32 a gallon. I filled my van up 2 weeks agao and still have a full tank of gas see how often I go any where lol.

Lyn

Here in Northern California the gas runs around $2.69 at the cheaper stations. And the closest mini shops are about 3 hours or 4 hours depending on which ones we want to go to, so even before the price went up we didn't go there often. But it was a TIME thing more than a money thing.

Now, having said that we ARE having some money difficulties that involve cars that has little to do with gas prices. We have three vehicles. One of them will break down monthly it seems lately. And add to that California wants to charge more and more for registration and smog checks. Then the insurance company wants more to insure them. Not from any tickets or accidents mind you. I secretly think they may be hitting us up to compensate for losses in other areas of their business. LOL!

But we just find more efficient ways to make do with the scraps we find around us. We haven't slowed down our mini hobby and we do order over the net or buy on ebay. It has made us more selective though.

Darrell and Melissa

;) If I had any money for mini's, I would probably stop first at Michael's which is in the town where I normally do all of my grocery, etc. shopping so it wouldn't be effected by gas prices. I make a Hobby Lobby run less often because it's 20 or so minutes away and not near where I do any of my other shopping so it's always a special trip. I try to be very selective when I make a trip over there. Not really all that far but with 2 kids under 5 it can be kinda fun at times if you KWIM :lol:

Trudi

I live in Alberta, Canada. Our Province has oil and gas wells from one end of the Province to the other. Yet we're paying about 84 cents a litre ... $3.36/gallon. Canadian gallons are slightly larger than U.S.

I go right past the mini shop on the way to and from work. So it isn't a problem. I do order a lot online as I can get a lot more selection. The downside of online ordering is that it often takes three weeks or more to get the items.

Customs is an unpredictable thing. One day I received two parcels ... same size ... from same miniature dealer. One had a $20 custom charge ... the other was custom free. Go figure!!

I figure that I come out ahead in the end. Customs dings me only for the occasional parcel. I order Heidi Ott dolls from one particular merchant. After paying postage for the first doll, any additional dolls are mailed postage free. BUT, then the price of the parcel goes up, and my last order set me back $30 for customs duty. Customs also holds up more parcels from the U.S. than from the U.K. Many parcels come through with no border charge.

I have a mouse in one hand and a debit card in the other! My shopping shall not be thwarted by gas prices! Neither rain, nor snow, nor price gouging at the pumps will stop me from my appointed rounds! :D I like to think of it as doing my part to keep the economy afloat.

Deb

Gas prices here are down to $2.15 a gallon, but two weeks ago they were $2.39 a gallon and I drove 30 miles each way to one of the very few miniature shows around here and spent $100.00. A once a year splurge. Michaels and Joanns are only 10 minutes away from me on opposite sides of the highway and I stop there frequently. So I would have to say, no gas prices haven't stopped my mini buying.

terri

I don't use my car very often 'cause of the environment and I generally don't like driving, especially not in a large city. :D It only takes me 20 minutes to go to my favorite mini-shop by tramway so the gas prices don't affect my mini-hobby! :D

I have a mouse in one hand and a debit card in the other! My shopping shall not be thwarted by gas prices! Neither rain, nor snow, nor price gouging at the pumps will stop me from my appointed rounds!  I like to think of it as doing my part to keep the economy afloat.

yup thats me!

Hobby Lobby and now Micheals are about 20 miles from me.

I try and go when the things I want are on sale. gas prices have not affected

my addiction...errmm hobby

e-bay is such a short drive that before I know it I have a van full of goodies! :):D:(

rofl!!

I LOVE the Internet!

nutti :D