Animal Companion Stories

Missymew

In the post 911 thread, Greg mentioned that Sapphi came into his life on September 11th. A good memory to offset a date that will forever remain nefariously etched into our minds.

As I read that statement, I realized that all of our animal companions come with their own stories.

I'd really like to hear how your pets came to be part of your families. Were you looking for a pet, or did they just wander in. Did you know immediately that they'd become so important in your lives?

-Susanne

When my sister and I were younger, we found a kitten about two blocks from home. It wasn't near anyone's house, just near some woods and railroad tracks. We got the kitten to "follow" us home. When we got home, we told our father (who was really a softie, but tried to be firm), "look, Papa, this little kitten followed us home!" Papa told us to take the kitten back where we found it.....so we did, but then made it "follow" us home again.

"Look, Papa, the kitten followed us home again!" "take it back", Papa said. "but, Papa, it's getting dark....we don't want something bad to happen to it!".

Papa gave in (as we knew he would) and let us keep the kitten.

Meka came into my life when my son went off to college.....she help fill the void of missing my son......my brother seen how lonely I was without my son so he got Meka for me......I've had her over 10 years.....

Anson was 5 years old and had dialated cardiomyopathy and was on 5 different medicines. He used to roam the house but for two weeks he would sleep on top of the hamper in the bathroom downstairs. One night I awoke to the cat who had come upstairs for the first time, the house was full of carbon monoxide from a hole in the furnace.

He saved my life and subsuqently did not come upstairs again, he passed only a month later.

Luna was the offspring of my cat Snowball. She was killed by a car. Joe also has one of Snowballs kittens, Belle. She isn't much of a kitten anymore.

Fatboy/Fatcat is Luna's from her last litter. My sister also has a cat from Luna's last littler. I guess we like to keep them in the family.

Spock was a a pound puppy at 6 years old. He was one of the best dogs we ever had. I was visiting the shelter cause I wasn't having a good day and brought him home. He didn't play any games, he was good company. Sheridan and Ella miss him a lot. He had been there their entire lives.

One day we went to Petco to get cat stuff and they were having their adoption day. I saw Rudi. I played with him a bit. Talked to Mike and he said "no". We left the store. I said to Mike that I think he will be a good dog for the kids. I was told if I wanted him to go get him. So I did. He was 6 mos old at the time.

Our newest furbaby, Dottie, was adopted from the pound at 3 mos. She had been returned to the pound twice, because people "didn't have time for her". Her adoption papers say Doty, but we have been spelling it Dottie. Mabyn wanted to get a dog. We took Rudi and went to the pound. Rudi picked her out. So far she hasn't caused any more damage than the kids or the other animals we have.

post-19-1189535871_thumb.jpg

e'd had one cat for nearly 17 years...he died of complications of diabetes in the middle of February, 2003. I was heartbroken. I loved him dearly, thought of him as my buddy, and was lost without him. My husband said we could get another cat later that year, in the fall, "after vacations and summer and everything..."

On February 28 we were at the nearby shelter, looking for another cat. B) The house was EMPTY without a furkid. I wasn't sleeping - -every sound I heard I was convinced was the cat, and then I'd cry, missing my Shadow, so I HAD to get another cat.

While I was looking at a couple of "tuxedo cats" -- black, with white face and tummies, almost a "matching pair" -- my husband found Cindy in another cage. About a year earlier, when she was 1-1/2 years old and pregnant with 5 kittens, some savages otherwise known as teenagers threw her into a bonfire. She was badly burned on her tummy and back legs, had lost a lot of fur on her face. Her ears were burned and she had to have plastic surgery to cut away the burned tissue and reform them so they'd be "sort of" pointy. The end of her tail had to be cut away as it was also burned. So she was in the shelter, considered "unadoptable" because she "looked so ugly". We fell in love with her immediately. But there was a small hitch -- Cassie, her last remaining kitten (the other four died shortly after birth; Cindy wasn't able to care for them, and kittens don't do well being human-raised) was there too.

Well of COURSE we had to take Cassie!!! So then we had our two girls.

About a month later -- after the girls were spayed, treated for worms, otherwise healthy and happy -- Tuffy showed up, a young Tom. As I've always said about men.. "...a day late and a dollar short!" :yes: He just appeared at the door one day. We fed him and sheltered him outside for several months, til he showed up one day with a huge abcess on his chest where he'd gotten bitten. We took him to the vet to have it treated, have him neutered, dewormed, all that -- and he was in.

It was another two years before TabbyGrey showed up. Again, just appeared at the door one day. He's my dollhouse helper cat; hold down the wallpaper, otherwise investigates my work. :)

Our cats are our kids. We are childless..and they fill that void. Best thing is we don't have college tuition! :) Worst thing is that they don't live long (although most of our cats have lived around 16-17 years..) and we have to brace ourselves to grieve for them. And with these four, our worry NOW is that they might outlive US, so we have to figure out how to make sure they'll be OK should we pass... not that I plan to do that any time soon!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

We found Sapphi on 9/11 3 years ago at an art gallery where we were purchasing a painting. We were told she was a stray from the neighboring city and that the gallery owners brother was going to take her. She emediately came to us when we entered the gallery and asked if her brother would not take her we would. It was love at first sight. Every night for several nights we would drive down and there was Sapphi sitting in the gallery window looking out at us. When we picked up our painting the owner told us that her brother was unable to take Sapphi and that we could have her. I almost died I was so happy. At the time we lived in a small appartment that did not allow pets so we had to keep her a secret for nearly a year before we moved. She was instantly a love kitty the day we brought her home, I laid on the bed about an hour after we got her and the fisrt thing she did was crawl up on my ches and fell asleep. She has done this everyday ever since. She is the sweetest cat I have ever seen. B)

We found Sapphi on 9/11 3 years ago at an art gallery where we were purchasing a painting. We were told she was a stray from the neighboring city and that the gallery owners brother was going to take her. She emediately came to us when we entered the gallery and asked if her brother would not take her we would. It was love at first sight. Every night for several nights we would drive down and there was Sapphi sitting in the gallery window looking out at us. When we picked up our painting the owner told us that her brother was unable to take Sapphi and that we could have her. I almost died I was so happy. At the time we lived in a small appartment that did not allow pets so we had to keep her a secret for nearly a year before we moved. She was instantly a love kitty the day we brought her home, I laid on the bed about an hour after we got her and the fisrt thing she did was crawl up on my ches and fell asleep. She has done this everyday ever since. She is the sweetest cat I have ever seen. B)

That was strange...four copies of Greg's post. Hmmm.

The cat I have now, Romeo, I got from a co-worker. My dog had died a month earlier of Congestive Heart Failure and I was feeling really blue. My hubby and I discussed it, and decided we needed a kitten. Romeo was just weaned when my co-worker brought him to work. He was just so cute and adorable, I had to name him Romeo. (My hubby calls him "Clifford T. Cat" - the T stands for "the").

My co-worker's daughters had named him "Prince Charming". They were on a Disney kick...all the cats in the litter had names of Disney characters. Romeo's brothers were named "Simba", and "Aladdin". His sisters were "Ariel" and "Princess Jasmine".

At the time I brought Romeo home, we had a female cat who was about 13 years old. She immediately started mothering Romeo. It was so sweet to see!

Romeo's 10 years old now. He's our baby and he loves being an "only child" (now that our people children are grown and gone).

post-1004-1189539046_thumb.jpg

What a great thread. first of all I am a cat person....mostly

One morning my sister calls me..."Hey I got this dog." um NO I dont want no dog!"

awe come on he is to small for around here(3br trailer,2kids,3BIG dogs and various other critters)...ummm I dont want NO dog. ...well come on out and look at him Les(her hubby) rescued him from a guy who named him spaz and threw him against a wall injuring his back leg....he walks on 3 legs" 9sigh)(sucker)

Ok...Ill come and look at him...so we go out there and she walks out with my nephew(3) who is yelling....his name is MILO. and behind their legs peeks these little soulful brown eyes.....how well does my sister know me??? he has been here 11 yrs....and when he looks at me with those eye I just melt like butter...He is an Italian Greyhound and if he could purr he sure would!

post-9-1189625551_thumb.jpgpost-9-1189625582_thumb.jpg

Sasha is a 4 yr old sealpoint Siamese I got from a lady on freecycle when I asked about a kitten for my gran. she is a love.and wants it all the time. Deb says that a siamese doesnt say meeoowww but meeeNOOOOWWW....and that is pure truth of our Sash. she is perfect for our lil house but Milo is still mad at me.

oh and both animals are freaked out by storms so wherever I am you will find the pets. MOMMA SAVE ME!

hahahahahahah

nutti B)

My eyes are teary as I read these stories. It's so good to belong to a group where so many of us love our pets like children.

I'm still not quite ready to share my Dudley story. It's been just over a year now since his death, but my grief often overwhelms me.

He first walked into my backyard in May of 1994. I had 3 elderly cats at the time. I knew right away he was an unneutered tomcat. His head was HUGE! He had those great big puffy tomcat cheeks that are a dead giveaway for a male cat that's intact.

He was a black and white tuxedo with one ripped ear and walked with a swagger. I filled a dish with dry kibbles, and took it out and gave it to him outside of our backyard - on the driveway. I wanted to divert him from my 3 senior cats.

Dudley ate and left. The next day he was back. Same routine, the next day and the next .... and then, on the fourth day he ate and didn't leave. He stayed. He was so good with my old guys, and he'd chase away another cat that had started to bother them.

It was love at first sight!

A few months later one of my elderly cats died, and Ray let Dudley move in.

-SUsanne

In March of 03, our Ludwig (a daschund) who was 16 years old had to be put down, he could no longer walk and it was heart wrenching to watch him. I couldn't get over losing him so my DH thought a new dog would help. He forced me to go look at a litter of Australian Shepherd puppies from a breeder so I reluctantly went. All the way there, he kept saying if there is a black one with the white stripe down his head, he's ours. I kept thinking that's not likely since it was a trait of border collies not Aussies. Well, there was one. He was the cutest thing, and I fell in love with him instantly. He wouldn't leave me alone, he was only 3 months old. But I knew he belonged to us. His name is Sydney and he's become my best friend.

Here he is, taken today, getting ready to catch his football.

I lost 3 of my furbabies within a year, and the last one was almost 20 years old. He'd been with me for 17 years and I was completely heart broken. It wasn't even a day later my children were asking if we could get another cat. So about 3 weeks later, my husband gave in and took them to the humane society. They came home chattering about all the pretty kitties that were there. B) That weekend we went up, and found Cher. She has worked her way into my heart (like they all do) and I will be very upset if when she goes.

This is the T, back when he was much younger (yellow tom) and Cher, the Diva.

post-1588-1189548743_thumb.jpg

post-1588-1189548804_thumb.jpg

I have had many pets over the years, but my Newman holds an special place in my heart. When we lived in Michigan, I could have pets in my apartment. My hubby and I were at a old time feed store one day, (not sure why...been too many years and I forgot) and they had baby bunnies. We left that day with a small brown one, figuring that since bunnies didn't really make much noise, we would be able to get away with having one. When my son saw it, he wanted one also, so we went back the next day and got Baby Bunny's brother, Floppsy. They were with us for almost 9 years, which is a long life for a bunny. But, it didn't take away my desire to have a cat. In 2001 we moved to South Carolina. Again, we lived in a home that didn't allow pets, so we continued to hide the bunnies. Then, in 2006 we finally found a place to buy and I could finally have my cat. On a trip to the vet for the bunnies check-ups, I spotted a cage with two kittens in it. One was sleeping and the other one was climbing the cage. I started playing with the climbing one and that was all it took. $35.00 later, we were leaving with not only the two bunnies we came with, but also a playful little kitten. The gals at the vets office said that they had been calling him Newman and since we both liked the name, it stayed. I had waited almost 7 years for him and I wouldn't change one thing about him. Ok, well I would change one thing about him, and that is his obbession with eating plastic. I am so scared he will choke or that it will bind him up inside. Worries me to death. He is my baby. He follows me around, waiting for me to go into the bathroom and turn the faucet on so he can get a drink. And I willingly turn it on for him. I would do almost anything for him because he did a special deed one night and it will not be forgotten. Hubby and I had just gone to bed. Newman was in the livingroom and he would not stop meowing....over and over and over. I hollared out to him to hush and come to bed, but he just kept meowing. So, out of the bed I came. When I walked into the livingroom, it was filling with smoke. Apparently, there was a hot ash in the trash <glancing menacingly at hubby> and it had started a small fire. Fortunately, the trash can was metal. The smoke had not reached the smoke detector in the kitchen yet, so it had not gone off. Newman was our smoke detector that night. He pestered me until I came out to see what was going on and found the fire. He is my hero!

I swear to you..I must have *Sucker for a sob story* tattooed on my forehead. Someone gives me a sob story..I come home with another animal. I am surprised Fred hasnt left me..LOL At one point we had 3 dogs, Pokie (beagle), Precious (black lab), and Tyson (Miniature Pinscher)..Plus umm let me think now.. Chingy, Mittens, Baby, umm yeah I think that is it. at one time! My house did NOT smell Febreze fresh I tell ya!.

I eventually told my friend that *Heidi`s house for wayward pets* is closed.

We are Tyson`s 3rd and last family. He is about 12 yrs old and he was mistreated by both houses and he was never housebroken...until he met me.

Chingy (siamese) was a surprise. We like to go to the humane society to pet the kittys and there he was. They said I had to wait till the next day because he wasnt ready to be available. I broke my you know what driving there bright and early. I have had him....5...9..14 yrs. and he wasnt a kitten when we got him.

Baby (black cat)was one of a set of two brothers. He is 9 yrs old (same yrs as long as we have lived here) I should have known better when my friend told me his given name..Hershey Squirt. The brother should have been called Tinkle. The brother went to my sister`s house.. Baby would not use the litter pan no matter what I did. I could have sprinkled fairy dust and cat nip all over it and nothing. He would use the bathtub. GROSS. He is my first and my only outside cat. He has 6 bushes of cat mint planted in the yard for his amusement.

And you all know about MF..aka Lil man (siamese/tiger mix) He will be a year in March. He is getting better since his operation. He has a NEW habit. He comes in meww meww meww all quiet at 5am and then he jumps on my stomach and starts *fluffing the fat* meww meww meww. He is trying to be gentle I guess. He is the representative because if I dont get up in 20 mins..the other 2 cats are on the bed.

This is a nice thread! Thank you Greg! Time now to brag!

Princess is our Australian Shepherd. She came into our lives on January 13, 1999. Doug had been wanting a dog for a long time and only wanted an Aussie as he had heard such good things about them. I was at work one day and he called me all excited that he had found a breeder about 100 miles from us and wanted to go and look at these puppies. Off we went. There was a ranch with a little building which they called "The Puppy Place." All of the puppies born to the several females were all in there. I went inside with the breeder and just fell in love. There must have been 50 puppies there, but there was only one for me. She was a tiny little 6 week old bundle of grey/black/white fur with no tail - A Blue Merle coloration; she had backed herself into a corner and was sitting staring at me. All the other puppies were crawling all over me and I was in puppy heaven with wiggling bodies and lapping tongues, puppy eyes with love in them. I'm a sucker for dogs and cats. Anyway I kept looking at this one puppy and finally she came over and put her front paws on my lap and looked up at me and I picked her up and fell in love. Doug came in and also fell in love with her. There was just something special about this one baby. We got up and told the breeder we would like to have her. We had no intention of buying a puppy that day it just happened. We paid the fee, filled out the adoption papers, had the vet look her over, and homeward we went. On the way we bought her a tiny harness, a leash, bowls, piddle pads, crate, blanket, etc., etc., etc. We have never regretted it in the least. This dog has been the best dog for us. She is affectionate, loving, is not aggressive. Has never bit anyone, has been loyal, protective without defense. She is a good doorbell. And makes me cry. She has a blown kneecap now caused by the horrible ice we had this past winter. She is on doggie pain killers twice a day for this. She never cries, but holds her high leg up when she runs at times....othertimes she puts her full weight on it.

Poetry Man is a purebred Bengal. I was working at Lockheed in the San Jose area of California and I wanted a cat. I belonged to several doll lists and one of the gals told me that there in San Jose was a free Bengal they wanted to give away. I called the lady involved and she informed me that he had a pedigree that went back to the first Bendal breeder in the US, and raved about his background. She had bought him from a breeder in northern California and loved him dearly, but she couldn't breed him because her females did not like him and he was not nice to them. I could have for 0 dollars if I agreed to neuter him. He was of champion bloodlines but could not be shown because of a flawed extra ring stripe in his tail. She delivered him to me after his "surgery." He is a beautiful pain in the neck. He has blue eyes, and a soft silvery tabby coloring, largish ears and spots that go to the skin on his tummy. He is not the most friendly of cats. He came to me in the fall of 1997 when he was just 18 months old. He had been kept caged in a small kennel all that time. He loved being free in our apartment but really loves this house here where he reigns as "king of the hill." He is not the most loving kitty in the world using me as a warming mat when he feels like it, but otherwise he likes to come out and gaze at you, but please do not pick me up sort of attitude. He is my eldest and considers himself "the boss." But lately Tigger has been challenging him, so there are times when some little fistycuffs occur....but not often. No blood, just little fistycuffs.

Tigger is a yellow/white tabby cat. He came to me in the fall of 1999 at six weeks of age. I was working in Missoula Montana at that time. He was born in a dumpster in a pouring rainpour October. He came home to me on November 5th. His daddy was coal black and his mom was a calico. He had other brothers and sisters but most of them died in the dumpster. Tigger is loving and affectionate only to me. He dislikes Doug very much. But then Doug is not a cat person. Tigger sleeps in his cat bed which is on top of Princess's crate and is also my nightstand. Not a night goes by that he is not there when I go to bed. If I am in my workroom, Tigger is there too. No matter where I am he is there. Tigger talks to me at times, little chirps while looking in my eyes and making happy paws. Unfortunately he also makes happy paws where he is not supposed to and has about ruined the carpeting on the stairs. I can't just blame him. Princess does her share of damage too.

Neither of my cats are allowed outside. There are too many predetators here. They are happy to bask in the sun by the windows of sliders, and are happy to be under my feet. All of them have the run of the hoiuse.

I have many dogs and cats and two parrotlets and a cockateil and many other birds and other creatures waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge. Beloved beagle, collie, mixed - many dogs. There are two special Siamese kitties waiting for me there. And many beloved cats of all kinds including one tuxedo cat that weighed 22 pounds. All were loved and taken care of and cried over when they left me.

Here are pictures of my three "brats." So now you have met the entire family!

Wolfie

Well here is my story.

Several years ago Monti chose me at the humane shelter. We had a great life together. Then Monti got sick and had to be put down. I was so heartbroken. So very heart broken.

Susan at work called me out of the blue and said Bec I am coming to visit you. So she came and in her purse was too baby kittens. She said just hold them for a while they will help you feel better but the kittens had their own design lol. She said why not keep them? I said nooooo no one can replace my Monti. She said ok and went to the bathroom before she left. Didnt think anything of it at the time. I then I kept hearing mewings and finally went and checked and there was Chaser and Ruby :blink:

Boy was I mad at her but I couldnt fault the kittens. And now they been with me for 5 years and I love them just as much as Monti. Chaser was so named cause he chased anythign and everything. Ruby named cause she was kind of sickly with her heart and when she got tired her eyse turned a Ruby red lol.

So that is my story.

Bec

Fancy - "Miss Fancy Pants" to those who know & love her came into our lives almost 10 years ago. We had just moved into our house out in a rural area & my husband worked nights. I wanted a German Shepherd around for company when he was away, and also for protection for the boys & I - so off we went to the local animal shelter - and there she was - it was love at first sight for all of us - she seemed perfect. We got her home & it didn't take long to realize that if there were ever an occasion where protection was needed on our property - she wouldn't be in charge! lol. She is just a big baby & thinks the world is full of friends she hasn't met yet. I'm also convinced that if dogs could have ADHD then she has it :blink: (being the mom of an adhd child, I know what to look for :p ). She must be at least 10 but we don't know how old she really was - the animal shelter said they believe she had been abandoned. They guessed her age as being between 1 & 3 and that was ten years ago Thanksgiving. She's still full of energy, despite her arthritis and one of her favorite games is to chase snowballs in the back yard in the winter. She's the world's oldest puppy!

Fancy chasing snowballs:

Pookie, or Princess Pookie to her friends, we found at a local pet shop almost 9 years ago. We weren't in the market for another dog - Fancy was a handfull all by herself, we were at the shop getting stuff for my dh aquarium and there she was in a box on the counter. It was love at first site for me. I just had to have her. Dh said no, we didn't need to spend the money on another pet - so we left the store. Within a week we were back to get her - I already loved her sweet little face & wore dh down until he agreed :D

Pookie is the most spoiled dog I have ever come across - and the funny thing is, it isn't me that spoils her - she is my husbands dog all the way. She's his "baby", he baby talks her and just spoils her rotten. She worships the ground he walks on - and only will give me the time of day when he's not home. I'm definitely second best in her book!

Here's a picture of her riding the waves in Republic WA on our recent vacation lol! My husband is beside the raft, just cut out of the photo - he wouldn't dream of letting his precious baby on the water without adult supervision. He bought this raft just for her - she loves the water & loves riding on it. Doesn't like to get wet unless it's bathtime at home though.

And last but definitely not least is Cooter. How he came by that name I don't know - he had it when we adopted him from an ad in the local paper. A woman was going through a divorce - her husband got the house, she got the dog. She had to move into an apartment & couldn't take Cooter with her. He was advertised as a min pin and I've always wanted one. He's definitely not full min pin though - his body is like a round fat little barrel and he's much bigger than any min pin than I've ever seen.

He's the definition of "goofy" and always makes me smile. He doesn't have much going on in the brain department, but he makes up for that with his big ole' heart. He is the most cuddly, lovable, adoring dog I've ever had. He's about 4 years old now and while he can be a royal pain sometimes, I can't imagine not having him around.

The pictures that you're sharing are fabulous everyone. I'm getting so much enjoyment out of this thread. I went back and put in a photo of my beloved Dudley. Unfortunately, nearly all of the photos I have of him are from old film cameras. I scan them, but am really having a hard time figuring out how to size these scanned photos. I might have to take them to a professional to help me out.

He was also my White Knight. He had only officially just moved into our house in early December 1994 when Quincy (another beloved cat) had died. I was grieving badly over the loss of Quincy and had 2 other 14 year old cats living with us at the time.

I'd let Dusty (age 14) outside. There was lots of snow, but she wanted to sit on the front step for a while. I heard her scream and went running to the door just in time to see a white cat (he'd been coming around bothering my 2 old seniors) chase her off to the front of the house next door. I rushed after them in my stocking feet and saw that the white cat had Dusty pinned in my neighbours' front bushes. Unfortunately there was a snow drift between me and my cat that was nearly 4 feet high. I knew that by the time I climbed through this drift, the white cat would be on Dusty. I momentarily paused, when suddenly another cat leaped over the snowdrift and landed right on the white cat. It was Dudley to my rescue. I strugged through the drift and retrieved my Dusty and ran home with her. Two minutes later Dudley returned home with his other ear now ripped. I showed him that Dusty was okay, and she hissed at poor Dudley. She felt no guilt that he had taken her blows. He was my champion and always will be.

-Susanne

OH Susanne

your suppose to give a tear jerker alert when posting such things!

he sounds like my cat Playto. I had him for 12 yrs. he was in our house when it burned....when the neighbors broke through the backdoor he came flying out over their heads as the stove he had been sitting on fell through the floor. he ran into the woods for a week and we finally caught him and took him to the rental house. he never strayed far from home. he knew we were his people and he protected his yard and dominered the whole neighborhood.

he lived 3 more yrs after our house burned...he died one day close to the end of my Sr. yr

my shoulder can sometimes feel him wrapped around my neck for a ride. my best friend. he even tolerated my hamster....both could ride! hamster in pocket or hand.

thanks to you and Sir Dudley for stiring my memories of my buddy

nutti :blink:

Cooter and Tyson could be best buds! I went back and added pics too.. I dont have one of Baby on the camera and he is scouting out his breakfast right now so I will add one later.

I love seeing all the pics and stories too.