11/10/05 Surprise!!

Minis On The Edge

Well, my family finds it EXTREMELY difficult to suprise me! I always catch on to their doings! :D

However, the greatest surprise I did get was when my hubby and best girlfriend conspired together. She came for a visit in September without me knowing anything about it!! I think I posted something here around that time about it. I was totally blindsided!! That was the greatest suprise of all, a week with my best girlfriend!! :D

All surprises are wonderful for me. I think the nicest surprise was when I was convalescing from my auto wreck (the highway patrol had me listed as "dead") and two of my friends from my former job >150 miles away came for the day to cheer me up!

On a Sunday morning, following a sleep-over, my four year old granddaughter (Shalean) and I were sitting in her bedroom (that her grampa had made-over just for her in her favourite colours). She was making a picture with stickers and coloured crayons, and I was watching her and my drinking coffee.

She looked up and looked around the room and said "everything I need is here ... I could stay here forever", then she laughed and said "won't grampa be surprised!"

As she is an adopted grandchild through a friendship I have with her mother, her expression of how she was feeeling was the greatest gift that I've received ... that she felt so comfortable with me!

Shalean is 7 now, and is probably the greatest joy, love and gift that I've ever received. My husband and I were unable to have children as I'd suffered with severe endomitriosis until I had a hysterectomy at age 47.

Shalean is my inspiration for dollhouse miniatures. My Beacon Hill is decorated for her pleasure.

Susanne

Susanne, that brings tears to my eyes . . . aren't kids just so honest and giving?!! I too was unable to have children, but I keep very busy with two nephews (oops, now three) and two nieces! Love 'em all!! :D

I don't normally like surprises... I'm the kind of person who when I hear the word "surprise" I think of bad things.. like wrecking my car - boy that was a surprise! or stubbing my toe - ... but the best good surprise I ever had was when my mini idol wrote me an email cause someone had forwarded something I said about his work - I almost fell out of my chair and was speechless for a whole ten minutes :) - Now that was a cool surprise!

-David

I have to add one more happy surprise that I received. My sister lives about 3 hours away, and her two girls come up frequently for overnighters or to spend a week with their "Uncle Ray" and me.

We usually meet in Red Deer (half way) ... have coffee and "exchange" the girls. Works out wonderfully.

When I return home from the exchange where I give the girls back to their parents, I feel kind of sad...always miss them.

When I returned, I went into their room to freshen the sheets in anticipation of their next visit, I found this poem left on the bed ... witten by Brittany who was eight years old at the time.

"Poem ... To Auntie Sue:

I adore you for making me laugh on the phone.

I admire the way you dress.

I admire your sparkly brown eyes.

You will always be in my heart till the day I die.

I think you are so thoughtful when I am sad.

Your house is so gorgeous with bright colors.

You's so cheerful when we come up for the summer.

I love you dearly.

Lots of love, Brittany"

YES I've framed it!!!

Susanne

My biggest suprise was 2 years ago when Darrell was out of work. We had a very tight budget for christmas with an aggrement that we would not exchange any gifts between us and just get the kids what we could, our budget was $20 per kid (6 to buy for that year). I felt really good about getting them some nice things buy finding items on sale. When Christmas came and everyone opened their gifts. Darrell said " oh wait their is one more" and went to the garage and came back with a big package and sat it on my lap. In that package were 2 white goose down feather pillows, I had wished for for years. He had secretly been hiding money for months to get them. This was quite a shock, The first thing i said after closing my mouth that had fallen open was " we can't afford these" and I cried. I was so suprised he had done this as he does not celebrate the holiday himself.

Melissa

I think the best one was finding out that our second baby was a girl. We already had a boy and for some reason I was convinced that we were having another boy, even tho I really wanted a girl. When I found out she was a girl, I was surprised and very happy.

Not as earth shattering, but still pretty special where the two birthdays when DH managed to really surprise me, I had no idea he was planning anything. Ok, so I'm a little clueless sometimes, lol.

Trudi