Ta-DA!! The Austin Orchid, my first Dollhouse

Leahelizabth

This was very fun. The idea came as a whim, but it was if I became obsessed, I finished this house in about 2 weeks. Almost as if I was programmed, it coincided right with my mother's birthday. So I gave the house to her. I was sad until I read about the 40% off printable coupon for Hobby Lobby, so I bought my second which is relaxing in it's box as we speak.

I learned so much by completing the house and using this site, it was a very good kit for me as a beginner. I used scrapbook paper for wallpaper, and ribbon for my border.

I installed 3 lights on this house, on the porch, the living area, and in the bath. I will take pictures through the construction of my second house, which will be much more detailed.. and make some sort of blog for beginners or something. I'm excited!!! Many of my ideas came from great ideas and links from this site, I really appreciate everyone's sincerity and creativity..

My Director was so impressed with the finished product (my mom picked it up from my job, she used to work at the place I do now) she is considering commissioning some houses as marketing tools, as we provide in-home helper services to the elderly, she'd like a house with some scenes inside of senior citizens receiving various assistance from their caregiver.. not exactly the most exciting project, but as long I get to build more houses, I am happy..

Enjoy my first house, the Austin Orchid - See GALLERY!

This was very fun. The idea came as a whim, but it was if I became obsessed, I finished this house in about 2 weeks. Almost as if I was programmed, it coincided right with my mother's birthday. So I gave the house to her. I was sad until I read about the 40% off printable coupon for Hobby Lobby, so I bought my second which is relaxing in it's box as we speak.

I learned so much by completing the house and using this site, it was a very good kit for me as a beginner. I used scrapbook paper for wallpaper, and ribbon for my border.

I installed 3 lights on this house, on the porch, the living area, and in the bath. I will take pictures through the construction of my second house, which will be much more detailed.. and make some sort of blog for beginners or something. I'm excited!!! Many of my ideas came from great ideas and links from this site, I really appreciate everyone's sincerity and creativity..

My Director was so impressed with the finished product (my mom picked it up from my job, she used to work at the place I do now) she is considering commissioning some houses as marketing tools, as we provide in-home helper services to the elderly, she'd like a house with some scenes inside of senior citizens receiving various assistance from their caregiver.. not exactly the most exciting project, but as long I get to build more houses, I am happy..

Enjoy my first house, the Austin Orchid - See GALLERY!

Congratulation, Leah. The Orchid is a wonderful little house. I also used scrapbook paper for the upstairs of my general store.

Another cute house that might serve your Director's purposes is the Coventry Cottage. I built one to resemble my DH's grandparents' house in Lumpkin, GA: blog-8-1147253949_thumb.jpg

I bashed an extra room and it's open on two sides: blog-8-1147231118_thumb.jpgblog-8-1147228918_thumb.jpgand blog-8-1147230807_thumb.jpg

You got the kind of reaction most of us hope for, instead of the "why do you waste your time? You're a grownup, aren't you?" or look at you like you have two heads. BUILD ON!!!

The Orchid is super, Leah! Its colors and general appearance remind me of the first house I lived in until I was 5 years old. Wonderfully homey, a cottage in the woods feeling. I really like the irregularity of the shingles, which adds much to the overall effect. :angry: