Acorn and Butternut Squash Recipes

heidiiiii

I know about just splitting these beauties in half and roasting them with butter and/or maple syrup or brown sugar.

Anyone have something different that they do with them?

It is that time of year.

We LOVE winter squash. I'll roast a whole oven-ful of them, then freeze all the "innards" and use in all sorts of recipes through the winter.

Here's one:

Squash soup

Set oven to 425 degrees.

1-1/2 lb. granny smith (or other tart) apples, sliced, cored and seeded

4-1/2 lb. butternut (or other winter) squash

1 large onion

3 T. olive oil

1/4 C. brown sugar

3/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 Tsp. cardamom

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

3 cups chicken broth

Peel squash, remove seeds, cut into smallish chunks. Chop onion into smallish chunks. Put apples, squash, onions in a shallow roasting pan, toss with the olive oil. Mix the sugar and spices together with your fingers, spread over top of veggies.

Roast for approximately 1 hour, or until squash is soft.

Place contents of roasting pan into blender or food processor and process until smooth. Place in large kettle, stir in chicken broth, and heat thoroughly. Add more or less chicken broth to get the consistency you like; we like ours thick, so usually use a bit less.

----

If you already have the squash "innards", then chop the apple and onion. Saute in a deep skillet until they begin to soften, then add the brown sugar and seasonings and simmer for about 15 minutes or so, until all the sugar is melted and the "sauce" is smooth and well blended. Stir in the squash and let simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Then add all that to a kettle with the chicken broth, and simmer until you're ready to serve.

Here's another. This works well with carrots, too (for that matter, so does the first one.)

Squash soup

2 T. olive oil

1-1/2 cup onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, chopped

1 tsp. fresh ginger

1 tsp. cumin

1/4 tsp. caynne

1 tsp. salt

2 lbs. squash

2 medium potatoes, chopped

1/2 cup orange juice

3 T. peanut butter (smooth)

Heat oil in deep soup kettle. Add onion, garlic, ginger and cook until onion is soft and translucent. Add squash, potatoes, cumin, cayenne and salt, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until veggies are soft. Remove from heat, and blend or run through processor until smooth (here's where one of those hand mixer/blender thingies is handy!) Stir in orange juice and peanut butter, simmer until ready to serve.

Here's another. This works well with carrots, too (for that matter, so does the first one.)

Squash soup

2 T. olive oil

1-1/2 cup onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, chopped

1 tsp. fresh ginger

1 tsp. cumin

1/4 tsp. caynne

1 tsp. salt

2 lbs. squash

2 medium potatoes, chopped

1/2 cup orange juice

3 T. peanut butter (smooth)

Heat oil in deep soup kettle. Add onion, garlic, ginger and cook until onion is soft and translucent. Add squash, potatoes, cumin, cayenne and salt, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until veggies are soft. Remove from heat, and blend or run through processor until smooth (here's where one of those hand mixer/blender thingies is handy!) Stir in orange juice and peanut butter, simmer until ready to serve.

Ohh! I like that one and I have all the ingredients right now.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks

It is okay! I just started. I am using veg. broth because this is a vegan dinner.

Smells good so far in the house...Mmmm!

I also have vegan pms cookies going in the oven (choc. peanut butter choco chip cookies).

I've made that soup with the African Groundnut (peanut) recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook. Heidi, when I split & bake mine with the brown sugar I also sprinkle just a little cinnamon & nutmeg or cloves over the brown sugar.

Is there any reason you can't use their innards to make pies? You obviously do it with those gigantic orange winter squashes you carve faces into the rinds afterwards.

I personally have never tried this one yet...but this is from America's Test Kitchen...They never recommend cooking in a Microwave...except for Acorn Squash....Hmmmm...Interesting! Nuking them keeps them from getting mealy and stringy...

Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar

from the Episode: Best Beef Stew

Squash smaller than 1 1/2 pounds will likely cook a little faster than the recipe indicates, so begin checking for doneness a few minutes early. Conversely, larger squash will take slightly longer to cook. However, keep in mind that the cooking time is largely dependent on the microwave. If microwaving the squash in Pyrex, the manufacturer recommends adding water to the dish (or bowl) prior to cooking. To avoid a steam burn when uncovering the cooked squash, peel back the plastic wrap very carefully, starting from the side that is farthest away from you.

Serves 4

2 acorn squash (about 1 1/2 pounds each), halved pole to pole and seeded

table salt

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

3 tablespoons dark brown sugar

1. Sprinkle squash halves with salt and place halves cut-sides down in 13- by 9-inch microwave-safe baking dish or arrange halves in large (about 4-quart) microwave-safe bowl so that cut sides face out (see photo). If using Pyrex, add 1/4 cup water to dish or bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, using multiple sheets, if necessary; with paring knife, poke about 4 steam vents in plastic wrap. Microwave on high power until squash is very tender and offers no resistance when pierced with paring knife, 15 to 25 minutes. Using potholders, remove baking dish or bowl from oven and set on clean, dry surface (avoid damp or cold surfaces).

2. While squash is cooking, adjust oven rack to uppermost position (about 6 inches from heating element); heat broiler. Melt butter, brown sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in small saucepan over low heat, whisking occasionally, until combined.

3. When squash is cooked, carefully pull back plastic wrap from side farthest from you. Using tongs, transfer cooked squash cut-side up to rimmed baking sheet. Spoon portion of butter/sugar mixture onto each squash half. Broil until brown and caramelized, 5 to 8 minutes, rotating baking sheet as necessary and removing squash halves as they are done. Set squash halves on individual plates and serve immediately.