I lOVE the Glencroft!

ilovecats

I got alot done today, i spackled the interior and paperclayed the right interior walls, upstairs and down. I need to go clean up my mess but i needed a quick break. I'm pretty much done with this house for today, i'll have to think about my next steps, I'll probably paint the paperclay stonework first (the end of this week or next weekend) before i can paint the interior walls. Then i'll get the exterior texture done next weekend. I'll work on the beams etc probably in another week or so.

After I clean up my mess i think i'll paint the vermont jr at least one coat of paint.

Ohh I can not wait to see it Marg. I told Y'all this is a hard house to build BUT it is my most Favorite Build EVER!! The challenge was so worth the end result because this house has everything & a bowl of chips :wave: I am so glad you loved it too!! :)

The Glencroft is right up there on my list! I love it too! I've punched out my interior doors and stained and varnished them and their trim already! But basically I'm not supposed to touch it until the Pierce is done! But who can resist the Glencroft?! Fantastic dollhouse!!!!!

Wolfie

• Like 1

Ohh I can not wait to see it Marg. I told Y'all this is a hard house to build BUT it is my most Favorite Build EVER!! The challenge was so worth the end result because this house has everything & a bowl of chips :D I am so glad you loved it too!! :)

Why is this a hard house to build?

Marg, between you & Gina I'm getting an itch to build another one. Oops, can't; I just started all the backlogged kits to yelling at me!

I can see why you'd want to build another, it's an awesome house. I haven't even finished this one yet and i'm planning things in my head to build another one sometime in the future!

• Like 1

I had a few problems because the instructions weren't real clear, but Tracy showed my how she & Linda figured it out. The next one I build I won't spackle the interior walls until AFTER I install the ceiling beams downstairs. You have no idea how many feral cats found our campground and fattened themselves up on the hapless little birds flying through the indigo cloud generated by my cerulean *magic* words!

Poor birds Holly! But seriously the house was not a bad build.....I think people get hung up on the side staircase basically....they begin it then they can't figure out how to decorate it! At least that is my opinion. I made that mistake with my first one, but the second one was a piece of cake! Decorate as you move along! And before the hallway with the stairs gets too tight....LOL

Wolfie

The Glencroft was the first kit I ever built solo.

I LOVE it - but it did take me about 40 hours and I still haven't shingled!!!!!

back_view.jpg

It is such a cozy and charming house.

I bought the Aster because the Glencroft made me fall in love with cottages.

Thanks, Gina, I wish I'd read your post before I decided to carpet the pub stairs after I'd installed that last wall! I found out my hands no longer fit or are as flexible in those tight, tiny spaces! But after the beams, etc, that was a walk in the park! and I'd build another in a heartbeat! Although I'd really like to build a Harrison some day...

Shingling was a booger! Who was it said they enjoy shingling? Wolfie claims she sings as she does it. You wouldn't believe those words I was 'singing' to that roof yesterday! But I FINISHED it! Plus I was down to the last few scraps of the shingles I had settled on and there were no more to be found in any stores here, so I was sweating about having enough (only just!). Now some landscaping and it's ready to go.

But I do really love this house...even my guys really like it. I had trouble with some of the slots for the chimney/stairwell fitting together, and I'm not actually sure they're right, but at least well glued.

Who was it said they enjoy shingling? Wolfie claims she sings as she does it.
I get into the Zone when I shingle; I sing & sometimes dance, according to DH. It's all part of the building process, and I enjoy every aspect of the building proces!

I'm so thankful for this forum! I have yet to start my Glencroft (after x-mas project), so reading all your tips, tricks and issues is really helpful. I now know what I'm getting myself into and well...I seriously can't wait! If I didn't have about a million x-mas presents to make between now and December, I'd have already dragged out the box and started.

So thank you to everyone for sharing your experience (and the pictures! Those are a total help!)

:banana:

I've made a little progress today :)

I put a couple of coats of dirty wash on the stone fireplace walls and also cleaned up the spackle a little inside with a light touch with some sandpaper. I have spent the rest of my time sanding all of the trim pieces for this house! There are a ton. I'm taking a quick lunch break then intend to stain all of the pieces. Not sure how much more i'll do today, the sanding sucked my energy away :)

Anyway I hope to make more progress on the house tomorrow!

I'ts finished! Even the landscaping. We're hauling it off to the state fair this morning, so the dining room table will mysteriously reappear (for a few weeks). Next the Arthur gets finished/repaired for a friend, then the Fairfield can finally leave it's box!