Digging for gold?

heidiiiii

MF came here in the early summer. All of my houseplants were outside at that time. Now I have brought them inside for the change in season, and he is going a lil nutso.

He goes from plant to plant digging for gold. And batting the fern leaves. He knows he is being bad because if I get up to stop him, he takes off like a shot.

Sooo, What do I do to stop him from possibly killing my plants? What have you done to stop the digging? There must be something I just cant think of anything. I cannot put them anywhere that he wont be able to reach them. There are floor plants involved also.

Seriously, I have never had a cat dig the you know what out of my plants. I have had a cat sleep in the plants but not this.

Many of my plants are housed inside my master bathroom (there's a tub there, and tub surround. We never take a tub bath, so the plants are "parked" on the tub surround.) The bathroom door is always closed.

A few are out in the open. They generally get sat-upon.

One trick is to cover all exposed soil with hard gravel. Not all that attractive, but they don't like to dig in gravel. Another is to get rid of all plants with exposed soil. :)

Thank you Dawn.

I layed foil down and around the base of the two plants he is bugging. I secured the foil down by piercing toothpicks sideways so he wont get poked.

He climbed up there and he was stepping on it like it was ca-ca.

I will go rummage in my garden box for the small stones I have.

if we are digging we most likely are messing in them. Get some wire,smaller then chicken wire. little squares. Make shure it is not smooth to the touch. You want it to rough feeling. cut it the same as your pot. then cut a slit and whole big enough for your plant. wrap the plant and ta da you have a bad feeling force field.LOL Helped me out.

Heidi,

Big gravel is good, so is fine chickenwire, also foil.

I have many house plants. I make sure I have no toxic ones or grass like ones in case someone decides to take a bite.

A squirt bottle with plain water is good if you happen to see him digging too.

My cats hate foil so if they claw or go where they shouldn't that stops them.

I would not use mothballs because they can be toxic to pets and people.

A layer of coarse orchid bark,potting media, that you get at Home Depot or Lowe's might work too.

Let us know what happens.

the foil alone seems to be working. But he hasnt ramped up his activity this morning yet. I am waiting for his morning pep to kick in. But the foil is still intact and there is no dirt on the floor.

Thank you.

Sooo, What do I do to stop him from possibly killing my plants? What have you done to stop the digging? There must be something I just cant think of anything. I cannot put them anywhere that he wont be able to reach them. There are floor plants involved also.

Seriously, I have never had a cat dig the you know what out of my plants. I have had a cat sleep in the plants but not this.

I have some big floor plants and a cat that looooooooves to dig in them. I got some good size rocks and put on top of the soil and he leaves them alone now.

Kathy