Starting down a new path

darrellandmelissa

Untill earlier this year I was very ill, I had to take a lot of medicine, treatments every 2 hours and supplimental oxygen. Somehow I miracously got better, and no longer need any of it, just an inhailer for asthma now.

Years ago, I had started a clerical certificate program at our community college in hopes of moving out of a minimun wage sales job. Now that I am healthy enough to return to work, I decided to go back to school again instead

The clerical certificate is a block of classes taking most of all day for a year. The classes are staggered at different starting points and I am jumping in to the middle of them. I spent yesterday registering for classes and will go tomorrow to finalize finacial aide and pick up my books. My first 2 classes will start Friday, with 3 more classes starting over the next 3 weeks or so. I will have 4 more classes to take in the spring semester to complete the program.

I am pretty excited about this change, but nervous as well. I will also be using public transportation to get there and back which will make for some long days. I have not been out of the house much in a while. My social skills are a bit rusty, not to mention how rusty my typing skills are. Well enough with the negatives. It will be a great chance for me to develop a carear outside of the retail field.

Melissa

I got my clerical certificate about a year and a half ago. I haven't used it yet, because I decided to go to a community college full time. I really enjoyed the clerical classes. They weren't hard and I learned a lot. I found a disk at Wal-Mart for like ten dollars and I praticed my typing at home. That really helped. Good Luck and GOD bless.

How wonderful and exciting for you Melissa. I started in the clerical field and ended up in retail. I have an overwhelming desire to go back to the clerical, but the job market in my area is not the best, so I will have to stick to what I have. It is good to hear that your health has improved. Good luck with your classes and don't forget us here!

Melissa, the wonderfu part of your message is the news that your health has improved so much. I remember when you were having lots of difficulty with the respiratory problems, so it is so nice to hear good news.

With luck you will find a job that will do as mine did and constantly send you to more training to pick up more trades. Wishing you lots of luck.

WTG! Melissa!

Going to school is ALWAYs Kewl!

Im a firm believer in school and its so wonderful that you are feeling well enough to take it on! GOOD for YOU!

Im so proud of you!

and excited! what a gret role modle for that sweet lil grandbaby!

keep us posted!

nutti :lol:

Congrats! I also took a big leap and went back to school. I worked in retail and felt so unfulfilled. I gave up a decent paying career, a house, and three years of my life to get a teaching degree. I love it! I am so much happier. I know you will be, too. It is a challenge, but it is worth it. I hope it goes well for you.

I also suffer from severe asthma and i feel your pain. Best wishes for good health and easy breathing.