Favorite Autumn Recipes

Deb

In another thread, we've been talking about our favorite fall-type foods and someone suggested that we have a topic for posting our favorite recipes. We'll keep this thread for autumn types of recipes and start a new one for holiday recipes closer to the holiday season so they're easy to find.

So here we go! I'll start it off with my Mini-strone soup recipe. <cackle> Hey, it's my recipe so I can spell minestrone however I want! :p

Deb's Mini-strone Soup

Toss a medium sized lean roast into the crockpot and give it a good coating of italian herbs of your preference. Add a couple cups of water to it and let it cook slow while you're at work, or overnight.

When you're ready to start the soup, put a pan of water on to boil and

throw in some shell macaroni. By the time you get the rest of the soup

put together, the pasta will be al dente which is perfect since it'll

cook the rest of the way in the soup.

Remove the roast from the crockpot and whack up enough bite sized pieces

to toss in the soup. (I used about 2/3 of a medium roast and had

enough roast left to stick in the freezer for a casserole later.) Dump the roast drippings into the soup pot too.

To the soup pot, add:

Two cans petite chopped tomatoes with garlic, oregano and basil (don't

drain)

1 can kidney beans, drained

1 small can tomato sauce

Most of a bag of frozen mixed veggies

1 large can beef broth

Half a chopped onion

Water to desired consistency

To taste: salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, basil, etc.

Throw in the pasta, put a lid on it and let it simmer till you're ready

to eat.

That quantity makes somewhere around a 5 quart dutch oven full, but the leftovers will freeze really, really well and microwave easily for a quick hot lunch on a cold day.

No, this is not low-fat, but it's a great saturday morning brunch, especially if you have a long day of chores and/or kitbashing ahead of you! It involves a little bit of chopping, but with DH grating the spuds and me slicing up the other ingredients, we can usually get this on the table in about 15-20 minutes. You can also choose to prep everything the night before if you're doing this for guests or something where you would rather not have to spend 10 minutes cutting things up. This recipe is usally enough for the two of us to nibble on all day with (maybe!) a light dinner, so I'm guessing it would make 4 breakfast servings easily. I'm not much of a recipe writer, especially with this recipe, but I made my best guesses on ratios. Hash is also a natural refrigerator velcro type of recipe, so feel free to swap things out as needed or desired.

Sarah's Hearty potato Hash--suitable for breakfast or lunch

Serves 4

Software

2 large russet potatoes, grated or diced into small cubes.

8 oz. grated cheddar, colby, jack, or other good melting cheese

4 slices bacon, sliced into bite-sized chunks

2 large link sausages, sliced or 1/2 pound ground pork sausage--we like andouille or other spicy sausages, but anything from hot dogs to bratwurst works well

1 medium onion, chopped

1/2 bell pepper, chopped

1 diced jalapeno or other hot pepper of your choice (optional)

2 cloves garlic, smashed or chopped (add more if you like it--we've been known to whir up half a bulb if we have extra that needs using up)

2 eggs

Salsa (optional)

Hardware

10-12" Heavy, oven-safe frying pan--cast iron is ideal.

Procedure:

Turn your broiler on full blast to pre-heat, and place your skillet over medium heat. saute the sausage and bacon until cooked through. remove meat from pan, leaving behind the fat from the meat.

Next, add the potatoes in to the pan. When they just start to get soft and brown, add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalepeno to the potatoes and cook everything together.

When the vegetables start looking soft (and translucent, in the case of the onions), add your meat back in and cook until everything is nice and warmed through, and the potatoes are looking nice and crispy.

Turn off your burner, crack 2 eggs on top of the hash, spread the grated cheese on top, and immediately move the pan to the oven (rack should be 4-6 inches under the broiler, probably the top or next-to-top position). leave the oven door cracked open, and don't go anywhere!

Keep a close eye on events in the broiler. within about 2-3 minutes, the cheese on top will have fully melted, and will be slightly crispy and brown on the edges of the pan. pull the pan from the overn, and let it sit for a minute or so to let the eggs cook a little bit more and the cheese to set up slightly. (if you did it right, your eggs will be perfect sunny-side-up consistency, with firm whites and slightly gooey yolks)

You can either stir the whole mass to distribute the egg yolk and cheese before serving, or simply dish it up as-is in 4 portions (slice down the middle of each yolk so each portion gets some gooey yummyness). Top each plate with a dollop of salsa. If that's not enough food, you can serve it with some toast or a side salad if this is brunch.

Enjoy!

Yum, both sound so good.

I have long since lost the recipe, but it is called Harvest Stew. Its stew in a pumpkin. I have been able to fake it using a beef stew recipe.

Requires six small pumpkins about 6 inches round. A sturdy cookie sheet with foil or casserole dishes; 375degree oven. Fresh vegetables: zucchini, corn on the cob, yellow squash, acorn squash, tomatoes, green beans, broccoli.

Use your favorite Beef stew recipe with thick brown gravy that has carrots, onions, potatoes(I use red) and celery. Cut the corn on the cob into 2" piece and add to this stew. Leave it on the cob.

While your beef stew is simmering, hollow out pumpkins to 1/2" thick. Save the meat of the pumpkins and cut up. Slice up zucchini and yellow squash. Half the acorn squash, peel and cut into chunks about 1/2" . It may help to blanch the squash for easy peeling. Cut the broccoli into bite size pieces stalks and all. Snap the green bean in half.

Take the stew from simmering and stir in the prepared veggies. Pierce the skin of the pumpkins with a fork. Careful not to go all the way through. Spoon Beef stew into the hollowed pumpkins until a half inch from top, set on lined cookie sheet, put lids on, bake for 1 hour. This cooks the extra vegetables and the pumpkin shell. Carefully remove from oven.

Serve in a deep wide, soup bowl.

This isn't really an "autumn recipe", but maybe some of you parents will find it good for your kid's lunchbox, or after-school treat...

I'm always looking for recipes for "hand food" -- stuff that doesn't need cooking, that my husband can take camping. And recipes that don't take a lot of time -- I need that time for mini's!! Anyway, this one seems to suit:

Homemade energy bars

1/2 cup salted dry-roasted peanuts

1/2 cup raisins, craisins, or other dried fruit

2 cups raw oatmeal, quick or old fashioned

2 cups toasted rice cereal, like rice krispies

1/2 cup peanut butter, crunchy or creamy

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:

1. in a large bowl, mix together the peanuts,raisins, sunflower kernels, oatmeal and cereal, and set aside.

2. In a medicum microwaveable bowl, combine the peanut butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and stir until blended.

3. Pour the peanut butter mix over the dry ingredients and stir until coated.

4. Spoon it into an oiled (or buttered) 9 x 13 inch pan. Press down firmly. It helps to coat your fingers with margarine, oil, or cooking spray..or butter..)

5. Let stand for an hour to harden, then cut into 16 bars.

Wolfie's CrockPot Ribs

Simple but very very good! I serve with hot bread, and your choice of veggies!

Brown ribs thoroughly! Really nice and crusty brown! Drain well and place in crockpot. Pour bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce over and let cook all day or overnight. Ribs will fall off the bone and be so tender!

A hearty meal good for fall and winter! Or any time of year. Just be sure to get those ribs good and brown.

Wolfie

Here is my receipe for Roast Camel! I finally found it....now you can substitute a buffalo or a cow - whatever you want..... This is for a crowd and is very popular here in Montana

6 Eggs

One Fish - remove head tail, fins, skin

1 chicken - remove neck and giblets, feet and wing tips

1 Sheep - remove head, tail, feet and legs beneigh the knees

One camel or your choice of substitution. Remove head, hooves, tail.

Hard-boil the eggs. Stuff the eggs into the cavity of the fish. Cook the fish by baking until flaky.

Stuff the fish into the chicken. Cook the chicken by baking/roasting until juices run clear.

Stuff the chicken into the cavity of the sheep. Bake/roast until tender.

Stuff the sheep into the whole camel. Roast the camel (or substitution) over a campfire on a spit until tender or to taste. You may serve with gravy or pan juices. To obtain pan juices put a pan under the roasting camel (or substitution).

Yes, this is a real receipe!

Wolfie

Recently I made vegetable soup with can veggies I had on hand. Basically it went like this

Thrown Together Vegetable Soup

Started with a ham bone left from baking a ham and the juices

2 cans of whole kernel corn

2 cans of creamed corn

2 cans of new potatoes

1 large can of stewed tomatoes

2 small cans of Rotel tomatoes

1 can of peas with snaps

1 can of green beans

2 cans of veg-all

1 medium onion

1 can of Lima beans

Salt and pepper to taste

Throw all in a pot big enough to hold all the ingredients, bring to a boil and immediately cut down to a slow simmer and let simmer for a couple of hours stirring occasionally.

You can use any combination of vegetables that you have. This probably would be even better with fresh veggies, but I didn't have any on hand and used what was in the cabinet. We ate off of it for 2 meals and froze enough for a couple of more.

we have our annual Maple leaf festeval in Oct.

usually on my Birthday...it is an all day event from the parade to the craft show to the car show to the HS band compitition. so I start my special chili

Maple Leaf chili the night before

I use my 2 crockpots one for my roast and one for my Navy beans

I cook both item slow overnight than before the parade I use my HUGE stockpot and add

the beans and juice

1 large cn of tomato juice

2 large cns stewed tomatos

1cn rotel...mild

3 stalks of celery

1 large purple onion

4 cns of mushrooms

1 Bel Pepper

I dice all my fresh veggies

1cn of kidney beans(mainly for the color) :clap:

while mixing all of my ingredients I have the roast cooling so that I can cut it up into bite size peices...or sometimes I use stew meat that Ive cooked overnight.

I serve this with fritos,sour cream,and Cheese

the parade takes 2 hours...

I let it all come to a boil and than turn it off till after the parade

when I get back I bring it back to a boil and than let simmer till the veggies are done and yummy yummy for us while we are in and out all day.

nutti :clap:

This recipe is great for a brunch on a cold day. We also love it for dinner. This is a very tastie cassarole and super easy.

Hashbrown Cassarole

( the measurements aren't exact. I never use measuring cups, I always put in what looks right.)

crumble and brown a package of sausage with 1/2 a onion

While this is browning, mix together

a package of frozen hashbrowns

small package of sour cream ( about 8 oz )

small package of green onion dip (about 8 oz)

couple hand fulls of shredded cheddar cheese ( about 1 and 1/2 cups )

mix in the sausage and onions put in a greased baking pan. ( I use a cake pan )

back for about 45 minutes at 350.

cassarole is dun when the hashbrowns taste dun.

sprinkle top with cheddar cheese and stick back in oven till cheese is melted.

This cassorole is easy to change. You can use mild or hot sausage. u can use french onion dip instead of green onion.

Walnut Crunch Pumpkin Pie

1 1/4 c. chopped nuts (we like pecans for this)

3/4 c. brown sugar

1 (15-oz) can pumpkin

1 can evaporated milk

3/4c sugar

2 large eggs

1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

1/2 tsp. salt

1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie shell

3 T. butter - melted

Mix walnuts or pecans and brown sugar in bowl. Combine pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, spice and salt in medium bowl. Mix well. Place 3/4 cup of nut/sugar on bottm of pie shell. Pour batter over nuts. Bake in 425 oven for 15 minutes. Reduce to 350 and bake 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Add butter to nut-sugar mixture, stir until moistened. Sprinkle over cooled pie. Broil 5" from heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbly. Cool before serving. Best served with real whipped cream, but cool whip is accpetable, as is vanilla (or your favorite) ice cream! This one is really yummy!

You are welcome Pam! As I said we love this one using pecans rather than walnuts, but only because we love pecans! Oh it is sooooo yummy either with whipped cream or ice cream! Serve with coffee and it's a turkish delight!

Wolfie

Then there's the ever-popular (in our house) pecan pie (which we can no longer have, due to dietary restrictions!) I made it with clear Karo & white sugar to get more of the pecan flavor. Ditto another favorite, 'tater pie! Substitute two or three good-sized baked sweet potatos for the pumpkin, peel 'en & mash 'em and have at it. Another breakfast favorite is to drop a spoonul of mince pie filling onto muffin batter just before baking.

Gina,

That camel recipe reminds me of another one like it called Turducken. Chicken inside of a duck inside of a turkey.

Too early right now to be remembering and posting recipes but when my tank is full I will break out some of my favorites.

Here is my receipe for Roast Camel! I finally found it....now you can substitute a buffalo or a cow - whatever you want..... This is for a crowd and is very popular here in Montana

6 Eggs

One Fish - remove head tail, fins, skin

1 chicken - remove neck and giblets, feet and wing tips

1 Sheep - remove head, tail, feet and legs beneigh the knees

One camel or your choice of substitution. Remove head, hooves, tail.

Hard-boil the eggs. Stuff the eggs into the cavity of the fish. Cook the fish by baking until flaky.

Stuff the fish into the chicken. Cook the chicken by baking/roasting until juices run clear.

Stuff the chicken into the cavity of the sheep. Bake/roast until tender.

Stuff the sheep into the whole camel. Roast the camel (or substitution) over a campfire on a spit until tender or to taste. You may serve with gravy or pan juices. To obtain pan juices put a pan under the roasting camel (or substitution).

Yes, this is a real receipe!

Wolfie

Where the heck do you get a camel to roast? It sounds really good because I love chicken and fish...but what the heck? :insane: Where did this recipe come from? It's incredible. Thanks for an interesting read wolfie and good luck to those who can cook this one. :wave:

Walnut Crunch Pumpkin Pie

1 1/4 c. chopped nuts (we like pecans for this)

3/4 c. brown sugar

1 (15-oz) can pumpkin

1 can evaporated milk

3/4c sugar

2 large eggs

1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

1/2 tsp. salt

1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie shell

3 T. butter - melted

Mix walnuts or pecans and brown sugar in bowl. Combine pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, spice and salt in medium bowl. Mix well. Place 3/4 cup of nut/sugar on bottm of pie shell. Pour batter over nuts. Bake in 425 oven for 15 minutes. Reduce to 350 and bake 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Add butter to nut-sugar mixture, stir until moistened. Sprinkle over cooled pie. Broil 5" from heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbly. Cool before serving. Best served with real whipped cream, but cool whip is accpetable, as is vanilla (or your favorite) ice cream! This one is really yummy!

Oooooh I love nuts! but the princess is allergic and I am afraid to have them in the house since we found out about the allergy. :wave: She has such a horrible reaction. But I do have a can of pumpkin in the cupboard I have been looking at. Maybe I can just do it no nuts :insane: I am nuts for everyone around here any way!

Bisquick cornbread

2cups bisquick

3 tbsps cornmeal

1 1/2 tsps baking powder

3/4 cup melted butter, about a stick and a half

1 cup sugar

1 cup milk

3 eggs

this stuff is so good I like mine extra sweet so I add some honey to the mix, and sometimes I grate fresh corn on the cob into the batter also. Depending on my time constraints

put in 8x8 pan and bake 350 for 35 minutes...

I made this last night with bbq ribs and mashed potatoes! :insane:

Finding a whole camel here in Montana is not easy. The lady who gave me this receipe uses a whole black angus cow most of the time. They usually cook this in their BBQ pit. Which is nothing more than a very large BBQ hole in the ground. It really is very very good. She uses a whole sheep or goat which is relatively easy to find here. The fish they catch. Eggs from the market ...... Chicken easy to find. She has also used a whole elk or buffalo as well. This is for a very large group I might add...like 75 to 100 people; and when done it is absolutely delicious!

Wolfie

Wolfie's CrockPot Ribs

Simple but very very good! I serve with hot bread, and your choice of veggies!

Brown ribs thoroughly! Really nice and crusty brown! Drain well and place in crockpot. Pour bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce over and let cook all day or overnight. Ribs will fall off the bone and be so tender!

A hearty meal good for fall and winter! Or any time of year. Just be sure to get those ribs good and brown.

Wolfie

Wolfie, this is great. It reminds me of one I discoverd accidentally, we called the dish Accidental Beans. I had done the ribs like you recommend here, using the short ribs, and was invited to go out for dinner, so took the crock pot *removable liner* and stuck it in the fridge.

The next day, I added a couple of cans of kidney beans and a can of navy beans, some more bottled BBQ sauce and let them cook a few hours. Then took them to a pot luck. Everyone thought it was "just beans" until they dug in and found the ribs. After that, every time we had pot luck, I'd get requests to bring those accidental beans and ribs. I've made it on purpose several times since.

One of my favorite cold weather recipes is Potato Soup. Let me explain first that I learned to make it in Idaho (where a potato is about 10" - 12" long) in the 1970s, when the kids were little. We were poor enough to be on welfare. I think I got the recipe through the food commodity program.

Potato farmers allowed you to go into the field after they'd run the harvest. The tractor dragged the harvester in a circular pattern in a square field,so you could get good spuds in the corners they'd missed.

This made enough for 3 people.

Brown half dozen pieces of bacon in the saucepan you'll use for the soup.

Chop a small onion, dump in the saucepan.

Peel one potato (=3 or 4 the size from your little fingertip to your thumbtip). Cut into cubes of various sizes. You'll need some tiny cubes (1/4") to disolve and thicken the soup. The largest cubes should be about 1" square.

Pour in enough water to cover the potato, onion and bacon, bring up to a boil and then simmer until the large pieces of potato are cooked.

couple bags of white chocolate melted

cup of peanuts salted

cup of prezels

mix together and pour out and spread out on a cookie sheet and leave it until

it gets hard... then snap pieces off and eat!!