Hi, I'm Muriel

Muriel

Hi All,

I'm Muriel, live in the UK, and am currently trying to get a Garfield kit to build. They aren't available in the UK as far as I've been able to establish, and the nice site I found in the USA doesn't ship to the UK. I'm sure I'll get around it somehow and eventually manage to start building!

In the meantime I'm using an architect program on my computer and am trying to design the house with it.

I've looked around some of the pics on this site and it looks like there are some gorgeous houses out there!

Muriel :banana:

Hi All,

I'm Muriel, live in the UK, and am currently trying to get a Garfield kit to build. They aren't available in the UK as far as I've been able to establish, and the nice site I found in the USA doesn't ship to the UK. I'm sure I'll get around it somehow and eventually manage to start building!

In the meantime I'm using an architect program on my computer and am trying to design the house with it.

I've looked around some of the pics on this site and it looks like there are some gorgeous houses out there!

Muriel :)

...so it's not a matter of "doesn't ship to the UK"...but that it's way expensive to ship to the UK! Indeed it is, which is why many sellers won't do it. Costs way too much, and is too much hassle, especially these days with all the security paperwork necessary.

I see where you're trying to design a house -- yet on eBay and other sites there are a number of English sellers with some really lovely kits. But the same problem exists for those of us in the US -- while the kits are lovely, and reasonable, the cost of shipping is WAY high, and as you found with the Garfield (which, by the way, is a very large and heavy box of wood!) sometimes doubles the price of the house.

But I'm glad you found the Greenleaf site. We have lots of builders here who might be able to offer suggestions about how to get a Garfield where you are, and several folks from England and other places outside the US who have worked throught the dilemma and gotten the houses of their dreams! :)

hiya muriel and welcome :)

I'm originally from england but just started this "addiction" here in australia this year.

I have the same problem....would love to get the garfield :wub: but the shipping is huge.

there has been a couple of ebayers here in aus that have greenleaf kits for sale but they charge heaps because obviously they had to pay the postage too which makes the garfield still out of my price range...but hey, one day i'll find a bargain lol :)

Have fun on this site its fabulous!!!! :p

Linda

Yeah, from this site they do ship to the UK, but from another site, where I found the kit cheaper, they don't. Looking on the USPS site, they say international shipping at their slowest rate (6-10 days, wouldn't mind 6-10 weeks for cheaper! :) ) would cost ~$192. I have relatives in the USA, so am debating whether to ship it to them and then they ship it on to me, but I still have the problem that this cheaper site doesn't accept payments from outside the US.

I'm still working it all out, but will get there eventually I hope. Worst case I'll have to wait until my next trip to the USA, and then bring it home as one of my checked luggage items! ...though that will be a long time waiting...

Yes, I have built a kit house about 15 years ago, though it was when I was about 11 and built it with my mum. Not sure what the kit was called, but had 3 floors, 6 rooms plus 3 hallways, and a porch half way round the front and side and a balcony. It was accidently given away during one of our many moves.

All the kits that I can find in the UK open to the front with hinges, but I want one open to the back, hence looking in the USA (where I got the kit i built with my mum, which was open at the back). Occasionally there's a back opening one on ebay but not in a style I've liked so far.

I have already enjoyed looking around the site/forum and am picking up tips and ideas along the way!

Hello, Muriel, and welcome! I hope you work out the wrinkles so you can welcome a Garfield into your life in the near future. Meanwhile, maybe you can try out some of your ideas on a smaller house? Sort of get your building muscles up to speed, so to speak! :)

Welcome to our "little" family, Muriel. While you wait for your Garfield you could begin preparing by making things for it, stitching rugs & assembling furniture or sculpting dolls. Or, as Kathie suggests, build another, smaller one while you wait. There is no law that I know of forbidding you to have more than one dollhouse (or I'd be in deep doodoo).

Well maybe not a smaller house, but a slightly simpler one perhaps! Building this one while I wait for means to get the Garfield. Picked it up from ebay seller yesterday. It'll have different colours (lots of sanding...) and the extension won't have a roof, instead it'll be a balcony/roof garden. Any ideas what the house design is called?

I've got quite a few bits from my old house (luckily I had the furniture etc in a seperate box that didn't go with the house!) so I'll sort through them and see what I can use and see what i still need to get.

Muriel ;)